Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP Bobby Bowden

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Bobby Bowden

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Florida State, huh? I always wondered what happened to him after he left WVU.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

6. Likes:

Chip R (08-09-2021),JaxRed (08-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    All he did was won two national championships.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    yeah, WVU was the pinnacle for him....it was pretty much all downhill from there!

Nah, huge fan of Coach Bowden. I think he should always be mentioned in the discussion for the greatest college football coach of all time because of what FSU was when he arrived and what it was when he retired. Also, how quick he took it from an irrelevant program to a long term national super power in college football.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    All he did was won two national championships.
    if not for Miami, he would probably have 2-3 more....
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-08-2021),WrongVerb (08-08-2021)

I was at FSU when the team won their first National Championship. Been a big Bobby Bowden fan ever since. Just a great human being in every facet of life.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

GAC (08-21-2021),IslandRed (08-09-2021),Revering4Blue (08-09-2021)

Great coach! Deserves to be on the highest levels of college coaching greats. Before he got to Florida State they were pretty much nothing. He made them into a power and consistently won 10 or 11 games every year. RIP Bobby Bowden.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

Chip R (08-09-2021),Revering4Blue (08-09-2021)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I was at FSU when the team won their first National Championship. Been a big Bobby Bowden fan ever since. Just a great human being in every facet of life.
    I got to FSU in the early '80s, in between the two Orange Bowl appearances and the start of the 14-year top-five run. There is definitely a perspective difference between FSU fans/alums who remember the underdog years versus those who came along after we'd become one of the teams that's supposed to be a powerhouse. Our university's history is different from most, and the school as a whole had to scrap for respect the same way football did. It looks okay now from a glance at the USNWR rankings and such, but it took a lot of work to get there.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-09-2021),WrongVerb (08-09-2021)

Bobby Bowden had a couple of ties to my alma mater, Marshall University. While an assistant coach at WVU, he reportedly was offered, and almost accepted, the Marshall head football coach in 1969. Has he himself later reflected, had he done so, he could have been the MU head coach who perished in the tragic plane crash of the Marshall football team two years later.
    After the crash, and as depicted in the movie We Are Marshall, Bowden turned over game films and whatever then MU head coach Jack Lengyel wanted so that Marshall could learn the veer offense. That first season after the crash WVU football helmets honored Marshall.
    Bowden was a class act. R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

17. Likes:

Chip R (08-10-2021),marcshoe (08-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Bobby Bowden had a couple of ties to my alma mater, Marshall University. While an assistant coach at WVU, he reportedly was offered, and almost accepted, the Marshall head football coach in 1969. Has he himself later reflected, had he done so, he could have been the MU head coach who perished in the tragic plane crash of the Marshall football team two years later.
    After the crash, and as depicted in the movie We Are Marshall, Bowden turned over game films and whatever then MU head coach Jack Lengyel wanted so that Marshall could learn the veer offense. That first season after the crash WVU football helmets honored Marshall.
    Bowden was a class act. R.I.P.
    When Randy Moss was dismissed from Notre Dame, Bowden gave him a chance. Even though Moss burned that bridge too, Bowden paved the way for Moss to play away Marshall. The rest is history, as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    When Randy Moss was dismissed from Notre Dame, Bowden gave him a chance. Even though Moss burned that bridge too, Bowden paved the way for Moss to play away Marshall. The rest is history, as they say.
    I knew Lou Holtz reached out to Bowden after Notre Dame had to pull his scholarship because he was charged for beating up a kid in high school. Holtz didnt agree with NDs decision. I'm blanking on Bowden directing/helping get him to Marshall. I thought he just ended up there because it was back home in WV. It's still crazy to me that 20 NFL teams passed him up (even with character concerns), he was THE unicorn of WRs, although you can't really blame Indianapolis (Peyton) or San Diego (Leaf) as those two were going 1-2 no matter what non-QB was in that draft. You might be able to include Charles Woodson in there too but still so many teams. Also I strongly recommend watching Rand University if you havent seen it. (Maybe they talk about Bowden-Marshall in there and I just don't remember).

While the man was a strong source for a lot of my juvenile anger I hate to see him gone, he will always be a legend in College Football and i'll always have him (and Spurrier) to thank for some downright heated rivalry games from the mid 90's-early 00's. RIP Bobby B

20. Likes:

RedsBaron (08-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I knew Lou Holtz reached out to Bowden after Notre Dame had to pull his scholarship because he was charged for beating up a kid in high school. Holtz didnt agree with NDs decision. I'm blanking on Bowden directing/helping get him to Marshall. I thought he just ended up there because it was back home in WV. It's still crazy to me that 20 NFL teams passed him up (even with character concerns), he was THE unicorn of WRs, although you can't really blame Indianapolis (Peyton) or San Diego (Leaf) as those two were going 1-2 no matter what non-QB was in that draft. You might be able to include Charles Woodson in there too but still so many teams. Also I strongly recommend watching Rand University if you havent seen it. (Maybe they talk about Bowden-Marshall in there and I just don't remember).

While the man was a strong source for a lot of my juvenile anger I hate to see him gone, he will always be a legend in College Football and i'll always have him (and Spurrier) to thank for some downright heated rivalry games from the mid 90's-early 00's. RIP Bobby B
    We can give Holtz and Bowden credit if they facilitated the opportunity for Moss to play at another institution when he was unable to continue to play for their program....but I can't give either credit for wanting to give Moss an opportunity at their schools. He was one of the best high school players in the country. I recall my high school weight room and locker rooms had big posters up of the USA Today All Americans, and Moss was hanging on the walls of a FL high school while he was still in high school. Btw, if it is true that Nehlen would not take him because of character concerns, it probably was one of the worst decisions Nehlen ever made. Moss was a flawed young man that needed guidance, but my understanding was he was never viewed as a truly "bad guy" at that age.

Btw, if Spurrier then was more like the Spurrier today, he would have got a lot of love and admiration like Bowden. I hated the guy back then, but am a huge fan of him today.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Random anecdote about Randy Moss:

An old friend of mine in Charlotte worked at a local gym at the front desk. Randy Moss was in town and he stopped by to get a workout in. He walked up and said he was going to work out that day. She said “$20 for single day without a membership, please” and Moss got angry and said “DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM???” “Yes, $20 please”. Randy went outside to his car, came back in, didn’t say a word and threw a wadded up $20 bill right into her face” and walked by. Great player but what an absolute dbag.

Bowden seemed like a great dude. RIP.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post

Yeah, I think Moss was on FSU campus for only a short time, as he had no leash and wound up getting in trouble for something kinda trivial.

Ah...found it...

College football career

Moss's dream was to play for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish,[14] but he also considered going to Ohio State, where his half-brother, Eric, had played offensive tackle. Former Notre Dame head coach Lou Holtz said "Randy Moss was the best high school football player I've ever seen."[15] Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden said "He was as good as Deion Sanders. Deion's my measuring stick for athletic ability, and this kid was just a bigger Deion."[16]

After originally signing a letter of intent to play college football with Notre Dame in 1995, Moss took part in a racially charged fight at his high school that left one person hospitalized.[17] On March 23, 1995, Moss had backed a friend in a hallway fight against a white student who had allegedly used racist comments towards Randy's friend.[16] Moss was initially charged with a felony for kicking the student, but it was later reduced to a misdemeanor. On August 1, 1995, Moss pleaded guilty to two counts of misdemeanor battery and was sentenced to 30 days behind bars at the South Central Regional Jail in Charleston, West Virginia. He served 3 days in jail starting that night and would be required to serve the remaining 27 days within the following 18 months, after he completed his freshman year in college.[18] Moss was expelled from DuPont and completed his education at Cabell Alternative School.[17]

Notre Dame subsequently denied his enrollment application, but this did not stop another high-profile college football program from giving him a chance. Notre Dame officials suggested he attend Florida State due to the reputation of its coach, Bobby Bowden, for handling troubled players.[19]
    Freshman (1995)

Because of his signed letter of intent at Notre Dame, the NCAA considered him a transfer student to Florida State,[17] so he had to redshirt the 1995 football season.[19]
    Redshirt Freshman season (1996)

In 1996, while serving his 30-day jail sentence in a work-release program from 1995, Moss tested positive for marijuana, thus violating his probation, and was dismissed from Florida State. He served an additional 60 days in jail for the probation violation.[19]

24. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-10-2021)

Turn Off Ads?