Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt McLain - Fast Mover?

Re: Matt McLain - Fast Mover?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    That's an aggressive time table, but it'd be great if that's what happened. Typically, the Reds are conservative with offensive prospects-- they play full seasons unless they're absolutely dominating the level. That would mean McLain plays at Dayton through next All-Star break, then moves to AA and AAA and the majors by the 2024 All-Star break. They may prove more willing to move McLain because of his pedigree, however.

(To be fair, they've shown a bit more willingness to move some prospects this season. Much of that, IMO, comes from the lost year due to pandemic.)

BTW, does this move mean McLain and Ivan Johnson are in a bit of a time share at SS, or will Johnson move to 2B?
    I think that RTG's timetable is conservative and yours almost unthinkably slow. I say there's at least a 50% chance he's in AA this season.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I think that RTG's timetable is conservative and yours almost unthinkably slow. I say there's at least a 50% chance he's in AA this season.
    I like the cut of your gib on this, but in no way is starting 2023 at MLB level conservative, lol. That would basically mean 1.25 seasons in minors, that’s next to nothing for a position player.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I meant more of the starting at AA next year. To me that's worst case scenario. Like I said, I think there is chance he's there this year.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I meant more of the starting at AA next year. To me that's worst case scenario. Like I said, I think there is chance he's there this year.
    I think there's an infinitesimal chance of this happening. He's have to spend less than half a season at any one level.

When was the last time a Red prospect did that over a year?

Well. Quite a debut in A+ today: 4 hits 5 rbi 1 Hr. I tho k he’s definitely a fast mover and will fit nicely into this young core of position players:
    Senzel
    India
    Barrero
    McClain
    Stephenson
    My guess is that all these guys stay up the middle and 1 of India or McClain move to 3rd.

BTW, how much would it suck to be Ivan Johnson?

Last night, he goes relatively nuts. Today, he goes 2-5 with a double and another RBI to run his two-game total to .500/ .600/ 1.000/ 1.600-- and he not only gets overshadowed by McLain, but he gets his position taken.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LARKIN View Post
    Well. Quite a debut in A+ today: 4 hits 5 rbi 1 Hr. I tho k he’s definitely a fast mover and will fit nicely into this young core of position players:
    Senzel
    India
    Barrero
    McClain
    Stephenson
    My guess is that all these guys stay up the middle and 1 of India or McClain move to 3rd.
    I suspect India moves if all are kept.

Last night, he goes relatively nuts. Today, he goes 2-5 with a double and another RBI to run his two-game total to .500/ .600/ 1.000/ 1.600-- and he not only gets overshadowed by McLain, but he gets his position taken.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect India moves if all are kept.
    India is an absolutely perfect second baseman. No way he moves from there unless McLain looks studly and they don’t think he has the arm for the left side. All reports say his arm isn’t an issue. But time will tell.

I’d say Ivan would feel Terrible.

10. Likes:

757690 (08-14-2021),Bourgeois Zee (08-12-2021),camisadelgolf (08-15-2021),cr_redsfan (08-16-2021),Joey Blotto (08-11-2021),OGB (08-15-2021),Revering4Blue (08-13-2021),UKFlounder (08-12-2021),wolfboy (08-12-2021)

McLain did make an error at SS in his debut, sadly despite going 4-5 with 5 RBIs that means he is a bust.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-12-2021),Mitri (08-11-2021),TRF (08-18-2021),wolfboy (08-12-2021)

If McLain ends up being a .800 batter with solid defense, you don’t worry about where he plays. You just consider yourself happy and lucky, and find a spot or move him for good value. It’s not a problem in the least.

14. Likes:

BillDoran (08-11-2021),LARKIN (08-11-2021),Revering4Blue (08-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kearns and dunn View Post
    If McLain ends up being a .800 batter with solid defense, you don’t worry about where he plays. You just consider yourself happy and lucky, and find a spot or move him for good value. It’s not a problem in the least.
    I agree with this (except for the moving him part), but my hope is the Reds have learned a lesson with moving guys around to get them on the diamond. Moving Senzel around every 6 months hasn't helped his career at all, and the Suarez to SS move was one of the worst ideas in recent memory.

I'd keep McLain at SS unless he just can't cut it, and if he's blocked by Barrero or someone you move him once and give him a permanent position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I agree with this (except for the moving him part), but my hope is the Reds have learned a lesson with moving guys around to get them on the diamond. Moving Senzel around every 6 months hasn't helped his career at all, and the Suarez to SS move was one of the worst ideas in recent memory.

I'd keep McLain at SS unless he just can't cut it, and if he's blocked by Barrero or someone you move him once and give him a permanent position.
    I think the versatility angle is definitely a bit overplayed but I think those examples are more outliers than anything. Suarez to SS was just a dumb idea, he wasn’t particularly good there 6 years ago. Senzel is actually pretty good defensively around the diamond the problem is he hurts himself waking up in the morning.

I don’t think it could hurt to get McLain reps in the outfield.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-12-2021),LARKIN (08-11-2021),Revering4Blue (08-13-2021)

I favor Reds’ approach to defensive versatility - to a point. Senzel to CF made sense. He readily accepted it, he has the talent. His last injury was at third base, I believe. Easier to fill holes with defensive versatility.

But there are certain guiding principles. Player must have the ability to handle position. Don’t rely much on years ago stays at the position (Suarez, shortstop). Don’t switch someone so often that it becomes an impediment to progress.

From what I’ve heard, McClain is a potential middle of the diamond player. That’s specific enough for me. Let’s just see how it develops.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-12-2021 at 01:30 PM.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-13-2021)

There is something so gloriously Reds that in McLain's first pro AB in the Arizona League he hit a triple where he was thrown out at home trying get an inside the park homer. TOOTBLAN ready.

By the time McLain is big league ready, we’ll know if Senzel is in the long term plans or not, even if it is as early as this time next year (my suspicion is it will be more of a 2023 question).

Assuming Barrero continues to rise to the occasion at SS:

If Senzel is a washout, McLain can then move to CF.

If Senzel stays healthy and hits but for whatever reason a move to 3B will help the glut, McLain can then move to CF.

If Senzel sticks in CF and a move to 3B doesn’t make sense for McLain or India, we’ll have a valuable trade chip.

If Barrero falters, which I don’t expect, we’ll have a great Plan B at SS.

All of these are nice problems to have.
    Go BLUE!!!

22. Likes:

757690 (08-14-2021),Revering4Blue (08-13-2021),wolfboy (08-12-2021)

Turn Off Ads?