Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Matt McLain - Fast Mover?

Re: Matt McLain - Fast Mover?

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    McLain is showing more power and speed than India at this point. India never ops'd .800 in the minors, and McLain is at .939 and rising. McLain also is 16 for 18 in SB in 54 games. McLain could end up as a similar player in the bigs to India, but I think he has a little more upside with the power/speed combo. The strike outs are a little high now which you can live with when the slg% in near .700.
    I’m glad McLain’s doing well, but I don’t think there’s much of any insight to be gained from India’s crappy, injury riddled minor league career.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Longenhagen of fangraphs responding to a question in the chat:
    Have you seen anything different from Matt McLain to explain the power surge, or is he just on a heater?
    Nothing new about the swing, nothing obviously different about his physicality. I'm inclined to believe it's just a weird stretch. His line is very strange for a guy who's been a contact-over-power type his whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Longenhagen of fangraphs responding to a question in the chat:
    One thing I’ve learned over the years is prospect “experts” refuse to admit when they are wrong. My favorite was after Todd Frazier had like 10 years of success at MLB level, Law was called out by Frazier on Twitter and Law STILL refused to admit he was wrong.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    One thing I’ve learned over the years is prospect “experts” refuse to admit when they are wrong. My favorite was after Todd Frazier had like 10 years of success at MLB level, Law was called out by Frazier on Twitter and Law STILL refused to admit he was wrong.
    Joey Votto's slow bat agrees.

So does Nick Senzel's average speed.

One thing I never realized until just now is that Matt McLain played more games in one season (his freshman season) at CF than he did at SS (or 2B).

So it seems to me that CF should not be an issue for him at all if Elly stays in the infield. He can't be any worse than Nick Senzel overall. At least, I certainly hope not.
    Go BLUE!!!

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-08-2022)

McLain is probably a guy who could play every position besides catcher. I'd prefer the Reds pick one and let him excel there rather than treating him like a utility guy. My guess is in the bigs he ends up at second base or LF.

Jesse Borek
    @JesseABorek

October 19th, 2022

McLain leads talented group of Reds in AFL

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-a...eague-coverage

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-20-2022),Old school 1983 (10-20-2022)

Can anyone in AA throw strikes? A .232 batting average with a .363 OBP seems a bit nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Can anyone in AA throw strikes? A .232 batting average with a .363 OBP seems a bit nuts.
    This is yet another example why I do not get upset at Ely De La Cruz crushing the ball with a lower walk rate at A/AA ball. He is facing a bunch of pitchers that dont have good command.

This is yet another example why I do not get upset at Ely De La Cruz crushing the ball with a lower walk rate at A/AA ball. He is facing a bunch of pitchers that dont have good command.
    But wouldn’t that lack of command make Elly’s high K rate seem worse?

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-20-2022),MikeS21 (10-22-2022),mth123 (10-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    But wouldn’t that lack of command make Elly’s high K rate seem worse?
    Nope, because he is crushing the ball. I strongly believe that if EDLC wanted to have a .400+ OBP at A/AA he could, but he is choosing not to. He is choosing to swing away.

I know how crazy that sounds. He is taking a you do not walk your off the island approach to the minor leagues.

Nope, because he is crushing the ball. I strongly believe that if EDLC wanted to have a .400+ OBP at A/AA he could, but he is choosing not to. He is choosing to swing away.

I know how crazy that sounds. He is taking a you do not walk your off the island approach to the minor leagues.
    So presumably you think EDLC will simply shift to a better K/BB rate as the pitching gets better. If it gets harder to dominate the pitching, he’ll care more about Ks and BBs. We’ll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So presumably you think EDLC will simply shift to a better K/BB rate as the pitching gets better. If it gets harder to dominate the pitching, he’ll care more about Ks and BBs. We’ll find out.
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    One thing I never realized until just now is that Matt McLain played more games in one season (his freshman season) at CF than he did at SS (or 2B).

So it seems to me that CF should not be an issue for him at all if Elly stays in the infield. He can't be any worse than Nick Senzel overall. At least, I certainly hope not.
    The sooner they can get this sorted out and have them comfortable at a position the better. I know they want a bunch of multiple position players but not everyone can do that. It failed miserably with Senzel. Let these guys settle on a position and then comfortable hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    The sooner they can get this sorted out and have them comfortable at a position the better. I know they want a bunch of multiple position players but not everyone can do that. It failed miserably with Senzel. Let these guys settle on a position and then comfortable hitting.
    It failed miserably only because Senzel forgot how to hit a baseball with any force. He actually played an average to above average CF from almost day 1. But his position had nothing to do with that, IMO

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    It failed miserably only because Senzel forgot how to hit a baseball with any force. He actually played an average to above average CF from almost day 1. But his position had nothing to do with his lack of hitting, IMO
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-25-2022),CySeymour (10-24-2022),mth123 (10-24-2022),Revering4Blue (10-24-2022),Tom Servo (10-24-2022)

Turn Off Ads?