Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Matt McLain - Fast Mover?

Re: Matt McLain - Fast Mover?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think he's a CF waiting to happen. Barrero will be the SS. Senzel will probably be bitten by a Tsetse Fly and contract an illness that will cause him to retire. CF is where the need is and McLain was always an iffy bet as a big league SS. I'd get on with that conversion ASAP.
    How is McLain iffy as a SS?

He was moved off the position for a superior defensive player at UCLA, then showed massive improvement in his last year to cement his status as defensively capable at the position.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think he's a CF waiting to happen. Barrero will be the SS. Senzel will probably be bitten by a Tsetse Fly and contract an illness that will cause him to retire. CF is where the need is and McLain was always an iffy bet as a big league SS. I'd get on with that conversion ASAP.
    Is McLain a CF waiting to happen - or a Reds compromise CFer waiting to happen?

If he has the speed and athleticism to be MLB average or above defensively in CF, great, go for it. Hope so.

Reds must end the era of defensive compromises at key positions.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-13-2021 at 02:58 PM.

I'd like to see him moved to 3B before CF, if it turns out he has the arm but not the range for SS.

Curious what sort of errors he's been making.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

He was moved off the position for a superior defensive player at UCLA, then showed massive improvement in his last year to cement his status as defensively capable at the position.
    If you're moved off the position in college, chances are you'll be moved off the position in the bigs (especially when Jose Barrero is in front of you).

Who knows though, maybe he's improved and can become more of a solid, sure-handed modern SS (sort of like Farmer's been this season). And it could be that Barrero is a better fit at 3B once all the dust settles.

One thing I wouldn't do is move India off 2B. He's been fantastic there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    If you're moved off the position in college, chances are you'll be moved off the position in the bigs (especially when Jose Barrero is in front of you).

Who knows though, maybe he's improved and can become more of a solid, sure-handed modern SS (sort of like Farmer's been this season). And it could be that Barrero is a better fit at 3B once all the dust settles.

One thing I wouldn't do is move India off 2B. He's been fantastic there.
    Read his scouting reports.

Also, know that UCLA's starting SS that moved him was/is considered an elite defender at the position.

Read his scouting reports.

Also, know that UCLA's starting SS that moved him was/is considered an elite defender at the position.
    Every scouting report said there's a chance he could stick at SS. That tells me there's a chance he could get moved off SS.

I'm fine with either, I hope he's a defensive wizard who can play anywhere, and more importantly, stay healthy and hit for some power.

Totally fine with them keeping him at SS and waiting until the very last minute to move him off if he's blocked.

So if in the small pond of his own college team he's not good enough to stay at SS, chances are he's not big league SS material where everyone is better and the requirements are higher.

McLain grades out with 60 speed and a 60 arm. That would be a waste of tools at 2B or 3B. If he doesn't make the plays at SS, and so far he doesn't and apparently he couldn't stick there in college, his speed and arm are perfect for the OF (CF or RF). Catching fly balls is about a thousand times easier than fielding ground balls and ground balls are complicated by having to then make the throw to 1B. In the OF, the main requirements are athleticism, which his tools says he has, and the ability to read a fly ball off the bat. They could see relatively quickly if he has that. If he does, give him some time to learn the nuances as a minor leaguer. No more converting guys in their big league debut. He's blocked at SS, but he appears to be an athletic player who can hit. The Reds need guys like that up the middle.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I’m a huge Barrero fan, but I think we have some time to see if McLain is really blocked at SS. Let’s see what happens in 2022. If Barrero proves he's definitely the future (and I think he is) and McLain continues to struggle at SS, move him off. But I wouldn't move him now or this offseason, based off of the limited information we have.
    Last edited by Benihana; 09-14-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-20-2021),Assembly Hall (09-14-2021),BillDoran (09-14-2021),DocRed (09-14-2021),Edd Roush (09-14-2021),HokieRed (09-14-2021),RedTeamGo! (09-14-2021),RiverRat13 (09-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I’m a huge Barrero fan, but I think we have some time to see if McLain is really blocked at SS. Let’s see what happens in 2022. If Barrero proves he's definitely the future (and I think he is) and McLain continues to struggle at SS, move him off. But I wouldn't move him now or this offseason, based off of the limited information we have.
    He should be in AA next year. The Reds may need him to be big league ready by the end of 2022. Most likely open position is CF (its an open position now). He can still get starts at SS, but he should get some time in CF as early as the fall instructional league if that's still a thing.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

He should be in AA next year. The Reds may need him to be big league ready by the end of 2022. Most likely open position is CF (its an open position now). He can still get starts at SS, but he should get some time in CF as early as the fall instructional league if that's still a thing.
    If the Reds are relying on a SS they drafted 3 months ago to play CF in 2023 they are doomed. Cannot be making decisions based on team needs in the present. They need to just go out and get a legit CF. The reds need to get out of this habit of trying to fit square pegs in round holes.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-20-2021),Kc61 (09-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If the Reds are relying on a SS they drafted 3 months ago to play CF in 2023 they are doomed. Cannot be making decisions based on team needs in the present. They need to just go out and get a legit CF. The reds need to get out of this habit of trying to fit square pegs in round holes.
    I think they need to get a CF too, but McLain isn't a square peg. Guy has 60 speed with a 60 arm and can hit. That is pretty much what you'd order off a menu if looking for a CF. If he isn't a SS, those tools are wasted at 2B (wastes his arm) or 3B (wastes his speed). Most guys don't play the position they were drafted as when the reach the big leagues. Its nothing new. Eric Davis was drafted as a SS. So was Biily Hamilton. So was Todd Frazier. Lets not act like guys aren't moved to a spot that fits their tools as minor leaguers. As amateurs, these guys play SS because they are by far the best player at everything on their teams. That's why they play SS and that's why they are drafted.

The Reds mistake lately is waiting until they are big leaguers to move them.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-18-2021 at 03:30 PM.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-18-2021)

I think they need to get a CF too, but McLain isn't a square peg. Guy has 60 speed with a 60 arm and can hit. That is pretty much what you'd order off a menu if looking for a CF. If he isn't a SS, those tools are wasted at 2B (wastes his arm) or 3B (wastes his speed). Most guys don't play the position they were drafted as when the reach the big leagues. Its nothing new. Eric Davis was drafted as a SS. So was Biily Hamilton. So was Todd Frazier. Lets not act like guys aren't moved to a spot that fits their tools as minor leaguers. As amateurs, these guys play SS because they are by far the best player at everything on their teams. That's why they play SS and that's why they are drafted.

The Reds mistake lately is waiting until they are big leaguers to move them.
    I am the conductor of the McLain to CF train but I still think it’s fine to give him another season at SS. Let’s see what Barrero brings in 22, what spaces loosen or solidify, and give McLain a proper look at SS. A lot could change in a year, maybe they’ll need him there or another spot on the IF. If he’s as good an athlete as advertised a move to CF will be quick and painless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I am the conductor of the McLain to CF train but I still think it’s fine to give him another season at SS. Let’s see what Barrero brings in 22, what spaces loosen or solidify, and give McLain a proper look at SS. A lot could change in a year, maybe they’ll need him there or another spot on the IF. If he’s as good an athlete as advertised a move to CF will be quick and painless.
    He doesn't have to abandon SS to get Reps in CF. I'm just skeptical of him sticking as a SS as a big leaguer since he couldn't even win the position on his college team. Somebody else played it and he was the one who was moved.

He doesn't have to abandon SS to get Reps in CF. I'm just skeptical of him sticking as a SS as a big leaguer since he couldn't even win the position on his college team. Somebody else played it and he was the one who was moved.
    Until he came back the next season, took over the spot, and proved he could play there.

Until he came back the next season, took over the spot, and proved he could play there.
    Peoved he coud play there in college like a lot of other guys who played there in college and were moved as a professional,

Turn Off Ads?