Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Matt McLain - Fast Mover?

Re: Matt McLain - Fast Mover?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Peoved he coud play there in college like a lot of other guys who played there in college and were moved as a professional,
    Proved he could play there in college and convinced scouts he could play there professionally.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just noticed that McLain started out in AA this year. I still think he could make his debut late this year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-10-2022)

They call me "chef"

@RedTeamGo can you clear up your inbox? I wanted to PM you about Matt McLain and his moving speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    @RedTeamGo can you clear up your inbox? I wanted to PM you about Matt McLain and his moving speed.
    Lol it’s cleared
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Bumping this thread. Dreaming on Matt McLain to become a Trea Turner-style speed/power combo (somewhere) up the middle is helping me get through the week.

How much of this is a park-factor mirage? How good, exactly, is his defense at SS? Where do we see his eventual landing spot defensively?

8. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (05-06-2022)

I'm not sure McLain is the difference-maker Turner is. That's a lot to ask for.

I do think he might be a Jonathan India type-- solid at everything.

10. Likes:

icehole3 (05-06-2022),Old school 1983 (05-06-2022),Rick Palmer (05-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm not sure McLain is the difference-maker Turner is. That's a lot to ask for.

I do think he might be a Jonathan India type-- solid at everything.
    I agree, I do think he has a little more power than India. All his HRs are bombs like this. Check out the center fielder.

Last edited by icehole3; 05-06-2022 at 01:42 PM.

McLain is a shortstop- also if you hear the number "6" that is in reference to the shortstop position (i.e., 6-4-3 double play means the shortstop got the ball to the second baseman-- "4"-- and on to the first baseman --"3"--)

McLain is showing more power and speed than India at this point. India never ops'd .800 in the minors, and McLain is at .939 and rising. McLain also is 16 for 18 in SB in 54 games. McLain could end up as a similar player in the bigs to India, but I think he has a little more upside with the power/speed combo. The strike outs are a little high now which you can live with when the slg% in near .700.
    Last edited by JCM11; 05-06-2022 at 02:39 PM.

14. Likes:

OGB (05-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Bumping this thread. Dreaming on Matt McLain to become a Trea Turner-style speed/power combo (somewhere) up the middle is helping me get through the week.

How much of this is a park-factor mirage? How good, exactly, is his defense at SS? Where do we see his eventual landing spot defensively?
    from what I read, his arm is a bit iffy for SS or 3B. It might be OK in CF, but my guess is he's a 2B. Probably a good all around one. I'm hoping he's in the big leagues by August 1.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

Mitri (05-06-2022),Old school 1983 (05-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    from what I read, his arm is a bit iffy for SS or 3B. It might be OK in CF, but my guess is he's a 2B. Probably a good all around one. I'm hoping he's in the big leagues by August 1.
    Honestly curious where you heard that. I don't mean any offense, but people throw stuff like that around willy nilly in this forum all the time.

Everything I saw posted after he was drafted was that he's a mlb SS who won't have to be moved off the position.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

18. Likes:

mth123 (05-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    How good, exactly, is his defense at SS? Where do we see his eventual landing spot defensively?
    I had no problem watching Todd Frazier or Billy Hamilton play ss at Dayton. To my eye McLain looked pretty terrible there. Now, maybe I just caught him on bad days, but frankly he looked tired. Things were rarely fielded cleanly.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Honestly curious where you heard that. I don't mean any offense, but people throw stuff like that around willy nilly in this forum all the time.

Everything I saw posted after he was drafted was that he's a mlb SS who won't have to be moved off the position.
    https://www.baseballamerica.com/rank...top-prospects/

Link for those that have a subscription to BA. They rated his arm at 60. SS, 2B, CF, or moving around the diamond as defensive possibilities.

I sorta like the 2B option with India to 3B, Barrero at SS, and Siani in CF, but then I like defense a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I sorta like the 2B option with India to 3B, Barrero at SS, and Siani in CF, but then I like defense a lot.
    I think McLain's position might well change depending on the players around him. India too. And De La Cruz too, assuming he gets to the majors.

Barrero has to hit when he gets his chance-- otherwise, he's the guy who gets moved around, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post

Where I thought I heard it I re-read and maybe I'm wrong. I guess with Barrero for SS I assumed too much. Glad you asked since it spurred me to recheck it.

Turn Off Ads?