Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 414748495051

Thread: 8-11-21 Reds @ Braves 7:20pm

Re: 8-11-21 Reds @ Braves 7:20pm

Well that game was uplifting, only to become a swift kick in the d1ck.

It was exciting to watch, until it wasn't.

At least we are still watching meaningful baseball in August, and there are lots of games left against the Central.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Go look at boxscores from all major league games the past 2-3 days. Tell me how many relievers went 2 or more innings vs how many just went a inning or less.
    Blaming Bell night after night is silly. Your way better than that.
    Days of multi inning relief outings are rare these days.
    So it is a not a Bell thing.
    Fire Bell and the next manager will do the same thing.
    Agreed.

To expand on this, Bell earlier this season tried to work several guys into 2 inning relievers.. and it did not work very well.
    Now granted, the pitchers that failed were mostly bad.
    I am not sure if Sims and Antone are going to be built up to go more than 1 inning.. They are coming off injury, not sure if there's enough time to do that to make it worthwhile. I don't know much about Givens. Lorenzen has a good shot to be a multiple inning guy. I'm not so sure it's a good idea to do it with Hembree, he seems more effective with just one inning, but I have not looked up the numbers, so maybe I am wrong.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

4. Likes:

KeefeCato (08-12-2021)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    If following this team caused me as much pain and misery as it does some of you guys, I'd stop following major league baseball.
    Sports fans everywhere go a little too far with the passion, and in addition, there will be overreactions and knee-jerk comments. I’m definitely guilty.

It does seem that game threads cause you a lot of pain and misery, especially after big losses, so there may be a little “physician, heal thyself” in order for you and some others. It’s going to be like that in every thread after they lose, especially now that the Reds are on the periphery of the playoff chase.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Now I know how Charlton Heston felt when he landed on that evil planet with the apes. You bastards! You blew it up! You blew it up! Damn you all to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Sports fans everywhere go a little too far with the passion, and in addition, there will be overreactions and knee-jerk comments. I’m definitely guilty.

It does seem that game threads cause you a lot of pain and misery, especially after big losses, so there may be a little “physician, heal thyself” in order for you and some others. It’s going to be like that in every thread after they lose, especially now that the Reds are on the periphery of the playoff chase.
    I think he’s more bothered when it’s 3-1 in the 3rd inning and several are lining up to jump off the cliff and when a pitcher throws a bad pitch and now he sucks or a fielder doesn’t make a 4 star play he is terrible. Some seem to do it to irritate, some seem like they are reverse jinxing, some being trolls and some really mean it…..but altogether it’s a lot.

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Go look at boxscores from all major league games the past 2-3 days. Tell me how many relievers went 2 or more innings vs how many just went a inning or less.
    Blaming Bell night after night is silly. Your way better than that.
    Days of multi inning relief outings are rare these days.
    So it is a not a Bell thing.
    Fire Bell and the next manager will do the same thing.
    Pitchers like it or not are handled with kid gloves from a very early age. Old Hoss and Cy young days are long gone. Those guys topped out at 75 mph maybe.
    I really enjoy the threads you have been starting . So I know you know the game very well.
    Keefe, I agree with you, it is a sign of the times nowadays. The next manager would probably do the same. I'm just saying that Givens is your stud and he could have thrown two yesterday, two today, and two more tomorrow if he had too. Hoss did it; Goose could too. But it's never going to happen in today's game, as you said. Having said all that, I'm just not a big fan of David Bell. If that makes me negative, then so be it, but I hate to see this great group of guys play their hearts out and fight back time and time again only to be pooped on by a skipper that misuses his personnel, particular his BP. I get your point; I do often get caught up in the past and the way the game used to be played. I guess I should either move on from the 60's and '70's and accept the way the game is played today or just give up the game. I know quite a few old traditionalists like me who have quit following baseball becauses of changes to the game and the way the game is played today. It's not Hoss' and Doubleday's game anymore.

P.S. Givens is who I would have sent out in the 11th. Very important game; Goose is my stud; Sims just getting his feet wet again . I feel like both John McGraw and Connie Mack would have done the same---in a game you just can't let get away, stick with the guy who has nearly a zero ERA away from Denver to put up one more zero.

Turn Off Ads?