Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New TV - Bally vs MLB.TV?

Re: New TV - Bally vs MLB.TV?

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Yep. Where I live. Its moronic. Thankfully I have a way around it this season but in the past its been just a huge pain. My understanding is that Bally is going to offer a streaming option next year for people who don't have cable and can't get the games using MLBTV due to blackouts. I think I heard an initial price of around $20 per month.
    That would be really cool. I'd be amazed if they charged under 50 per month though.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Imagine running a business and making it THIS HARD for your willing customers to enjoy your product. MLB is completely effed up.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

4. Likes:

Always Red (08-02-2022),Chip R (08-25-2021),forfreelin04 (08-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Imagine running a business and making it THIS HARD for your willing customers to enjoy your product. MLB is completely effed up.
    Honestly I’m perfectly fine with the blackout rules if they apply only to home games. I still would think it stinks, but I can at least see the reasoning behind the thought that this could affect attendance. But in what world does it make sense for road games to be blacked out?

Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    Honestly I’m perfectly fine with the blackout rules if they apply only to home games. I still would think it stinks, but I can at least see the reasoning behind the thought that this could affect attendance. But in what world does it make sense for road games to be blacked out?
    They aren't about attendance, they are about the cable deals. The regional sports networks pay for exclusive TV rights for the broadcast in the whole area. They in turn charge each cable/satellite subscriber in the area a certain amount per month to carry the channel whether they watch it or not.

They have basically set up a system where cable and satellite customers in the entire region subsidize the team whether they watch the games or not. It's how they rake in enormous amounts of revenue, even more than they make selling tickets. It's pretty ingenious actually, though not sustainable with cord-cutting trends as they are.

But they blackout the internet stream in that area so as not to infringe on those big contracts.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 08-25-2021 at 10:11 AM.

7. Likes:

bm1475 (08-25-2021),mth123 (08-25-2021),sjjones (12-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    That would be really cool. I'd be amazed if they charged under 50 per month though.
    https://thestreamable.com/news/sincl...0been%20sparse.

In a report by the NY Post, Sinclair has been reportedly pitching investors to raise $250 million to help fund their streaming venture. As part of that pitch, Sinclair has said that they aim to charge $23 a month for the service. It is possible that they will try to subsidize it further for those who use their betting products
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I get the games on a free streaming site. It's worked extremely well for three months now. I plug a connector from my laptop directly to my TV. I've received no viruses either.

If you want the link, please DM me. I've sent it out before.

I blame Napster for my lack of remorse about it. MLB/Cable Networks and their money can eat my hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    The price you pay on your bill is less because channels that pay to be on the cable (rather than get paid, such as HSN or QVC) help subsidize the cost. It would be a similar impact to paying for COBRA without your employers' help, your cost would probably increase by a lot. It isn't going to be any $20 a month. I'd be shocked if it was.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    I just want them to figure it out. Find a fair price. Charge me. Give me the damn games. No other business operates like they do.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

12. Likes:

Chip R (08-26-2021),Red Raindog (09-01-2021)

Here's a great article from The Athletic that answers a lot of questions about blackouts and why they are there. Bottom line: There's no easy solution.

https://theathletic.com/2788096/2021...ampaign=601983
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (08-31-2021)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

I’m in northern Indiana

Blacked out of

Cubs
    White Sox
    Tigers

And Reds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

What's so difficult about using YouTube TV + MLB package + NordVPN? Is that not the best way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    What's so difficult about using YouTube TV + MLB package + NordVPN? Is that not the best way to go?
    I jump through all of those hoops. And it works, for the most part. Besides flaking out at times when it goes in and out of "optimized mode" when casting from my laptop to my tv. So yeah, it's the "best way to go" for me.

My problem is, the "best way to go" up until this year was to turn the tv on and sit down. The end. That's the opposite of progress.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

18. Likes:

Always Red (08-02-2022),Chip R (09-02-2021)

Bally Sports+ Could Solve Your Regional Sports Streaming TV Issue

What Is Bally Sports+?

Bally Sports+ is a stand-alone streaming subscription service that will offer access to live broadcasts for local sporting events, including professional baseball, basketball and hockey.

Customers will be able to pay for access to games in their local markets without the requirement of a cable, satellite or livestreaming TV subscription.

Bally Sports will accomplish this by charging streamers for access to their respective Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) as a la carte purchases instead of through a bundled service or package.
    More here:

https://clark.com/streaming-tv/bally...c4949-73879421
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

20. Likes:

George Foster (09-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Bally Sports+ Could Solve Your Regional Sports Streaming TV Issue

More here:

https://clark.com/streaming-tv/bally...c4949-73879421
    Sports are not as cheap as movies.

A sample of the pricing structure they’re using in Florida as of August 2022:

Subscription Type. Price
    Monthly $19.99 per month
    Annual $190 one-time payment
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Off baseball subject. Just wondering if FuboTV is the best option for all major soccer leagues and cups.

Turn Off Ads?