Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Lineup & Third Base Production.

Re: Reds Lineup & Third Base Production.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    While we would all like more production from 3B, the above statement can’t be true, since we are currently in a playoff spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It’s one thing to make the playoffs, it’s another thing to actually have a chance at advancing. Some Reds fans were so content on making the playoffs last year, in a short year where 16 teams made it. Reds got swept and didn’t even score a run. It was suffocating to watch. That was w/ the Cy Young & arguably the best rotation in baseball. I really hated the Reds letting Jose Iglesias walk. They could’ve used him. He didn’t hit for power but the guy had great ABs, fielded his position, had clutch hits.

What I hated even more, is the guy hit .373 w/ a .956 OPS under a cheap 2M dollar contract with Baltimore. #Pain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post
    I think having two guys in LF and none in CF is taking the shift thing too far.
    LOL. Fixed. It was late.

Naquin was a great pickup. He’s very streaky. Can’t remember the last time a Red had 7 extra base hits in a 3 games series. Where he’s surprised me the most is on defense. He’s quicker than I thought. Has a decent arm. Shogo can be a late defensive replacement in CF and Naquin can move to left.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Call me crazy, but I think either one of Moose or even Suarez could go on a tear down the stretch. Everyone loves Farmer, and his numbers were basically as bad before his nuclear month

If I had to bet on one, I would bet on Moustakas. I would probably deploy a timeshare of him and Suarez, with Moose getting the majority of playing time.

I wouldn't bother with Farmer at 3B unless you want to play him there against left handers...his bat plays anywhere against lefties, but only up the middle against RHP.

I would try like hell to get out of that timeshare agreement.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny W View Post
    Max Schrock
    Yeah, what in the frock happened to Schrock? I'd rather have him than the lost hitters of Geno and Moose.

Schrock should be on this roster. Actual professional hitter. Good bat off the bench.

8. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (08-26-2021),Tony Cloninger (08-24-2021)

If Borrero forces the hand to start him - put him at third. His arm is insane.

That said I like the pop and depth Suarez and Moose give the bench for the playoffs if Borrero doesn't tail off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I would try like hell to get out of that timeshare agreement.
    Does Elk and Elk do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Moustakas is a very fine player. A three time all star, he hit .799 OPS last year and got big hits helping Reds make expanded playoffs. A good hitter and fielder at third.

This year he was injured. He missed most of the season. It takes awhile to come back from that. Lucas Sims has allowed 6 runs, 5 earned in his five outings since returning from injury. Ask him, it takes awhile.

Fans are impatient in a playoff race. I get that. But Moose isn't like Suarez who's struggled for almost a full season with 475 PAs in 2021 - after a poor first half in 2020. Moose will likely be fine.
    Moustakas hasn't had a 3+ WAR season since 2015.

Suarez had three consecutive years of 3+ WAR 2017,2018,2019.

Suarez certainly needs some fixing given his last year and half. Moustakas hasn't really shown anything since coming over to the Reds. So both players really are in the same boat.

My gut says that Suarez should get more starts than Moose. However, I think it will end up being a LH/RH platoon from here out.

12. Likes:

TexasRedsFan (08-24-2021)

Besides the bullpen, lack of production from 3B is why the Reds aren’t running away with the Central division, no doubt about it.

Two more years of Moose at $16 million is a scary thought. Sure, he might get completely healed and be the player he was again, but I’ve seen little reason to expect that. Seems to be on a steep decline; hope to be wrong about that.

Not sure what to do with Geno. He does still drive in runs when he manages to succeed. His average against lefties though is particularly alarming, so platooning may not help him much.

Shrock's the obvious choice but when you give out bad contracts you've got to keep playing the guys because you need to believe they're somehow worth it. If he's healthy, and fences can be mended, my opening day third baseman for 2022 wouild be Nick Senzel.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    Besides the bullpen, lack of production from 3B is why the Reds aren’t running away with the Central division, no doubt about it.

Two more years of Moose at $16 million is a scary thought. Sure, he might get completely healed and be the player he was again, but I’ve seen little reason to expect that. Seems to be on a steep decline; hope to be wrong about that.

Not sure what to do with Geno. He does still drive in runs when he manages to succeed. His average against lefties though is particularly alarming, so platooning may not help him much.
    Agreed. Thing is, the Moose contract is even worse. He's due to make 18M in 2022, and 20M in 2023, w/ a 4M+ buyout. Yikes.

It is nice to see him hit the ball hard tonight. Can't remember the last time a Reds 3B had a multi-hit game. Very frustarting loss.

Suarez drives in runs because he gets more opportunities to hit w/ RISP than anyone. India, Winker, Castellanos, & Votto all have around a .400 OBP hitting in front of him. He's stranded runners all year & Bell has left him in the middle of the order to rot. You're exactly right the most alarming thing is neither guy can hit lefties. Suarez is hitting .128 vs lefties this year. Catastrophic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Redus View Post
    Schrock should be on this roster. Actual professional hitter. Good bat off the bench.
    Some tried to tell me that he is not the hitter of the caliber of pros like Geno, Moose, Shogo, and AA . Maybe their right but I'll swing with Shrock over any of those four Mario Mendozas.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    Does Elk and Elk do that?

I'm sure they do. I wonder which Elk is the better Elk?

18. Likes:

SomeCallMeTim (08-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I'm sure they do. I wonder which Elk is the better Elk?
    The one who has perfected the comb over.
    Go Gators!

20. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The one who has perfected the comb over.
    That dude is a Serious lawyer with a Serious comb over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

22. Likes:

Turn Off Ads?