Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any way to bring "collegiate athletics" back?

Is there any way to bring "collegiate athletics" back?

I fear that with the new NIL deal in place, that any hints of the games (UK hoops fan here) being about collegiate athletes, played by first and foremost college students, is gone.

For the folks here much more knowledgeable than I on this subject, please discuss!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is there any way to bring "collegiate athletics" back?

Not sure I follow. All college games are still being played by college students. Some of them just have endorsement deals now.

Athletes can now earn money on the side like other students. I can't find anything wrong with that. Actually many athletes were earning money under the table before. Now its at least above the table.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Colleges have been making jack of the skills of players for over a century, players are just getting a bit of the run off

FWIW these athletes have always been making money, now it just above the table, not under the table.

Follow D-III sports.

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-24-2021),Betterread (08-24-2021),Chip R (08-25-2021),Roy Tucker (08-25-2021)

Lol of course from a UK Bball fan. Yeah, UK players just play for the love of the game.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I'm being selfish here, as a UK fan, but I'm worried about the teams that everyone has become accustomed to (since I was a teen) suddenly becoming teams that more closely resemble Indiana (sorry, had to say it, LOL), and teams that no one has heard of suddenly start getting all the great players because they find ways to ensure that the highest ranking players will make real money while at their program. At one point it seemed that players went to teams because of the institutions those teams represented. Then, it became about going to teams who had certain coaches that these players really wanted to play for. Now, it seems to be about WHERE CAN I MAKE MY MONEY WHILE IN COLLEGE? Is this it for collegiate sports? I understand that players are wanting the same money-making opportunities as the rest of the students, but I think it's more about ME ME ME, and less about WE WE WE. Maybe I'm too old for this college sports thing.

Yeah, it’s a good point, I don’t worry about that because I am an OSU fan, but yeah - you’re about to start seeing OSU recruiting go supernova. Same with the likes of Alabama, Texas, USC, etc.

Have the NBA and NFL change the rules so players aren't forced to waste 1-3 years pretending to go to school.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Have the NBA and NFL change the rules so players aren't forced to waste 1-3 years pretending to go to school.
    Really wouldn't work for football unless they started their own development league, and as long as college football exists in something like its current form there's no reason for the NFL to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Good way to get 18-19 years olds absolutely murdered in the NFL with barely any development.

15. Likes:

adkindo (08-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Good way to get 18-19 years olds absolutely murdered in the NFL with barely any development.
    I don't think that would happen though. If guys aren't physically ready to play in the NFL, then they just won't end up as high draft picks. The NFL isn't a developmental league. Guys taken in the first 3 rounds are expected to contribute immediately. An 18 year old, regardless of his potential, is not going to get put into an NFL game if he's not physically up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Really wouldn't work for football unless they started their own development league, and as long as college football exists in something like its current form there's no reason for the NFL to do that.
    Yeah the NFL would have to change the rule and invent a minor league system, they never will because of what they currently get for free, but not making kids go to college for 3 years but instead go right into the system would be a way to make college athletics more college centered, see Division 3 or the Ivy League, guys still make the league out of those places but they weren't 5 star guys to begin with.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 08-24-2021 at 05:57 PM.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Follow D-III sports.
    I'm guessing you meant this a bit tongue in cheek, but I actually think it's good advice. I enjoy following the local D-III teams.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Turn Off Ads?