Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there any way to bring "collegiate athletics" back?

Re: Is there any way to bring "collegiate athletics" back?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I'm guessing you meant this a bit tongue in cheek, but I actually think it's good advice. I enjoy following the local D-III teams.
    I didn't mean it tongue in cheek at all based on the question. D-II probably works, too.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-25-2021),Betterread (08-25-2021),Chip R (08-25-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I didn't mean it tongue in cheek at all based on the question. D-II probably works, too.
    NAIA schools all over the place around me.

5. Likes:

Boston Red (08-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I don't think that would happen though. If guys aren't physically ready to play in the NFL, then they just won't end up as high draft picks. The NFL isn't a developmental league. Guys taken in the first 3 rounds are expected to contribute immediately. An 18 year old, regardless of his potential, is not going to get put into an NFL game if he's not physically up to it.
    Almost no 18 year old would ever be ready to step on an NFL field. It is just different, and more than just a guys ego/feelings would get hurt. Maybe you could argue that someone like Bo Jackson could have pulled it off....but it would not even be a single player every decade in my opinion. It is not close to natural for an 18 year olds body/frame to be mature enough at 18 years old to play a collision sport with some of the biggest, fastest and strongest athletes on the planet.
    Last edited by adkindo; 08-25-2021 at 11:36 AM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Almost no 18 year old would ever be ready to step on an NFL field. It is just different, and more than just a guys ego/feelings would get hurt. Maybe you could argue that someone like Bo Jackson could have pulled it off....but it would not even be a single player every decade in my opinion. It is not close to natural for an 18 year olds body/frame to be mature enough at 18 years old to play a collision sport with some of the biggest, fastest and strongest athletes on the planet.
    I agree that most 18 year olds aren't ready to step on an NFL field. My point is that 18 year olds wouldn't end up getting killed in the NFL because almost none of them would get drafted. I think they should be allowed to go to the draft whenever they want, but if they're not physically ready, a team isn't going to take them. There are a few guys like Adrian Peterson, probably Bo Jackson, who could do it. I'm not sure there would be a mass departure of underclassmen though, outside of the few superstars who are ready.

I agree that most 18 year olds aren't ready to step on an NFL field. My point is that 18 year olds wouldn't end up getting killed in the NFL because almost none of them would get drafted. I think they should be allowed to go to the draft whenever they want, but if they're not physically ready, a team isn't going to take them. There are a few guys like Adrian Peterson, probably Bo Jackson, who could do it. I'm not sure there would be a mass departure of underclassmen though, outside of the few superstars who are ready.
    ...and the NFL needs a minor league system. We know that ain't happening. But I imagine some rich guy like Cuban(1st name that came to mind) could start his own minor league(semi-pro) system.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    ...and the NFL needs a minor league system. We know that ain't happening. But I imagine some rich guy like Cuban(1st name that came to mind) could start his own minor league(semi-pro) system.
    Well they've tried with the AAF and XFL. There's just no money in it. It seems like the only way to make it happen is if teams were affiliated with NFL teams, like with MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Why does the NFL need a minor league system? The college model with players being allowed endorsements is better for both the players and the NFL. College players have more recognition, get top tier coaching, play on big stages and now can get paid a bit. None of that would happen in a true minor league system.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Why does the NFL need a minor league system? The college model with players being allowed endorsements is better for both the players and the NFL. College players have more recognition, get top tier coaching, play on big stages and now can get paid a bit. None of that would happen in a true minor league system.
    Do the players in college still have to go to class? A lot of kids just want to play football...

But yeah, the NFL likes the way it is now.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

As others have alluded, the problems with "collegiate athletics" are really limited to a couple of sports and a relative handful of schools. In football and men's basketball outside of the first- and second-tier programs, and in pretty much every sport that isn't football or men's basketball, college athletics is getting along about the same as it ever did.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

13. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-25-2021)

It seems like the only way to make it happen is if teams were affiliated with NFL teams, like with MLB.
    The NFL could it...if they wanted to. Do the draft just like baseball does.

Yeah, Div II and III, NAIA, and even Div I sports outside of football, basketball, and maybe baseball. There are a whole lot of other sports (soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, track, cross country, etc etc ) where they don’t have a pro future and just want to play the sport at a high level.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-25-2021),Betterread (08-25-2021),Boston Red (08-25-2021),cumberlandreds (08-25-2021),IslandRed (08-26-2021),paintmered (08-25-2021)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah, Div II and III, NAIA, and even Div I sports outside of football, basketball, and maybe baseball. There are a whole lot of other sports (soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, track, cross country, etc etc ) where they don’t have a pro future and just want to play the sport at a high level.
    Yep. And sometimes, even if there is a path to a professional future in those sports outside the big three, that future doesn't typically come with six- or seven-figure salaries. So it's still important to leverage that talent into a college degree. And from the college's perspective, those sports aren't generating the kind of revenue that leads to excesses at the institutional level.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Gotcha. You're in Wichita so you're used to watching D-III level play
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Turn Off Ads?