Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds pick up Asdrubal Cabrera on waivers

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Reds pick up Asdrubal Cabrera on waivers

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I thought about that, but I have the feeling they are holding #3 back for Hunter Greene.
    Didn’t realize that’s been his number through the minor leagues. Blasphemy.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-28-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

How do post season rosters work as far as being on the Sept 1st 26 man goes?
    Obviously Winker will still be eligible.
    Is Senzel going to be eligible if he's healthy and they make the playoffs?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I don’t see how this affects Barrero at all as Ass-drooble hasn’t played SS since 2018.

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-28-2021),NC Reds (08-28-2021)

Good pickup. Always felt Asdrubal to the Reds was inevitable. This team desperately needed another guy who can mash lefties.

Curious to see which spot he occupies, but it should be Geno’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I thought about that, but I have the feeling they are holding #3 back for Hunter Greene.
    Cabrera is a free agent after this season. 3 or 31 are best bet for sure tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

FWIW.... Doolittle was making 1.5 Mil.... Cabrera makes 1.75 Mil... its a push on money pickup
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    How do post season rosters work as far as being on the Sept 1st 26 man goes?
    Obviously Winker will still be eligible.
    Is Senzel going to be eligible if he's healthy and they make the playoffs?
    Yes, players currently on the DL are eligible for postseason.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I think the primary context for this move is the complete collapse of Aquino, which means you can't have him and Suarez in the lineup at the same time. I'm wondering if Aquino's time with the club is at an end.

12. Likes:

mth123 (08-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I think the primary context for this move is the complete collapse of Aquino, which means you can't have him and Suarez in the lineup at the same time. I'm wondering if Aquino's time with the club is at an end.
    Yeah. I'm wondering if Aquino might be the guy removed when Cabrera arrives, but that would mean Cabrera would need to play OF, and while I think most IF could play OF acceptably as long as they can judge a fly ball, even I'm skeptical that Cabrera could do it.

Remember, if the acceptable standard in the OF is Winker, Naquin, Castellanos, its a low bar to hurdle for somebody to play out there. If they can provide solid offense, its basically how the team has been constructed. Its not my first choice, but its 2021 Reds baseball and it seems to be working, so I wouldn't be surprised.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

HokieRed (08-28-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yeah. I'm wondering if Aquino might be the guy removed when Cabrera arrives, but that would mean Cabrera would need to play OF, and while I think most IF could play OF acceptably as long as they can judge a fly ball, even I'm skeptical that Cabrera could do it.

Remember, if the acceptable standard in the OF is Winker, Naquin, Castellanos, its a low bar to hurdle for somebody to play out there. If they can provide solid offense, its basically how the team has been constructed. Its not my first choice, but its 2021 Reds baseball and it seems to be working, so I wouldn't be surprised.
    What’s the OF situation without Aquino? Naquin, Shogo, Cast as true OFers? And then Schrock and Farmer as guys who have played corner OF?

Might be a bit risky, they don’t really have a bench guy that can play CF in that scenario. I guess besides the fact that Barrero took flyballs in CF pre game that one night a couple weeks ago.

Wouldn’t necessarily rule it out though I suppose. There’s the question of who then goes down when Winker comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Now Votto has someone else on the team in their mid-30s that he can relate to.
    Now Votto has someone on the team who can give him a day off against southpaws.

Lifetime: 1 HR per about every 34 AB. In 2021: 1 HR in about every 40 AB.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    What’s the OF situation without Aquino? Naquin, Shogo, Cast as true OFers? And then Schrock and Farmer as guys who have played corner OF?

Might be a bit risky, they don’t really have a bench guy that can play CF in that scenario. I guess besides the fact that Barrero took flyballs in CF pre game that one night a couple weeks ago.

Wouldn’t necessarily rule it out though I suppose. There’s the question of who then goes down when Winker comes back.
    September 1 is a few days away. So it’s highly probable Reds will send out an optionable player when Cabrera is added. Barrero is one, Schrock is another. Guy comes back in a few days.

I’d like Reds to upgrade the Aquino spot. But AA would require a DFA and Reds would then be even thinner in OF.

So I’ll guess it’s Barrero or Schrock. Then he (whichever) comes back on September 1 along with another pitcher. Then Reds would be at 28 until Winker comes back - at which time another move will need to be made.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-28-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I like Aquino, but he needs to be in AAA where he can reevaluate some things. He doesn't display much outwardly drive, IMO

20. Likes:

demas863 (08-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    September 1 is a few days away. So it’s highly probable Reds will send out an optionable player when Cabrera is added. Barrero is one, Schrock is another. Guy comes back in a few days.

I’d like Reds to upgrade the Aquino spot. But AA would require a DFA and Reds would then be even thinner in OF.

So I’ll guess it’s Barrero or Schrock. Then he (whichever) comes back on September 1 along with another pitcher. Then Reds would be at 28 until Winker comes back - at which time another move will need to be made.
    I’ll say Santillan. They’ll shorten the pen for the playoffs anyway, so Santillan’s eligibility isn’t really and issue. Gray and Hoffman saved the bullpen yesterday, so they should be rested - and they only have to make it four days without Santillan.

Turn Off Ads?