Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Any chance the Reds cut bait with Garrett tomorrow?

Any chance the Reds cut bait with Garrett tomorrow?

I would and I would bring up Lodolo. Look none of us knows if Lodolo would be able to cut it right now in the big leagues.
    What we do know is Garrett is of no help at all to this club right now. They need a LH reliever besides Wilson in the pen. If they are going to make the playoffs you need a LH capable of coming in and getting out a couple LHB late in games.
    They seem to have zero confidence in Wilson. Maybe rightfully so. Because he was awful this season with the Yankees. But small sample size has been solid since becoming a Red.
    I use tomorrow the 30th as a date because anyone added by Tues the 31st would be playoff eligible.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Any chance the Reds cut bait with Garrett tomorrow?

Lodolo is on the DL with a shoulder strain

4. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-30-2021),Ron Madden (08-29-2021)

Lodolo was placed on the 7-day IL in Louisville with a left shoulder strain on the 23rd. He could be activated off it tomorrow but who knows how his shoulder is.

They signed veteran LHP Tommy Milone last week and he threw a scoreless inning with 3 K's last night. He's not a great option but he very rarely walks batters, and frankly that plus his experience make him seem like he could be a better option than Garrett in my eyes.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

MrRedSkull (08-29-2021),Red Raindog (08-29-2021),Ron Madden (08-29-2021)

Joel Luckhaupt of the Pawnee Lerpiss family
    @jluckhaupt
    A run has scored (either inherited runner or charged to Garrett) in 8 of his 14 appearances since the All-Star Break.
    I don't have any faith in Amir this year but I'd guess the chances of the Reds cutting him tomorrow are slim to none

8. Likes:

Chip R (08-30-2021),HokieRed (08-29-2021),KeefeCato (08-29-2021),Ky Fried Redleg (08-29-2021),Red Raindog (08-29-2021),REDREAD (08-29-2021),Revering4Blue (08-29-2021),RiverRat13 (08-29-2021),SunDeck (08-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Lodolo was placed on the 7-day IL in Louisville with a left shoulder strain on the 23rd. He could be activated off it tomorrow but who knows how his shoulder is.

They signed veteran LHP Tommy Milone last week and he threw a scoreless inning with 3 K's last night. He's not a great option but he very rarely walks batters, and frankly that plus his experience make him seem like he could be a better option than Garrett in my eyes.
    Missed the IL stint for Lodolo. Somehow. I wouldn't trust Milone though anymore than Garrett. The LH part of the bullpen really needs to be addressed in the offseason. Right behind the OF.

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I would and I would bring up Lodolo. Look none of us knows if Lodolo would be able to cut it right now in the big leagues.
    What we do know is Garrett is of no help at all to this club right now. They need a LH reliever besides Wilson in the pen. If they are going to make the playoffs you need a LH capable of coming in and getting out a couple LHB late in games.
    They seem to have zero confidence in Wilson. Maybe rightfully so. Because he was awful this season with the Yankees. But small sample size has been solid since becoming a Red.
    I use tomorrow the 30th as a date because anyone added by Tues the 31st would be playoff eligible.
    Cut that bait !!! I've seen enough master baiting around with Garrett's sideshow routine. He can't be trusted not to walk a batter or two or give up a run or more about every time he pitches. I just don't see him helping a team like the Reds, who are aspiring to make the playoffs. I'd LOVE, however, to see the Dodgers pick him up. lol Having said all that, I don't see the Reds cutting bait with AG and his Rock the Baby routine.

Maybe there is another Asdrubal Cabrera in the form of a LH reliever about to be cut that the Reds could claim before Wednesday. Doubtful though.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-29-2021),Tom Servo (08-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Maybe there is another Asdrubal Cabrera in the form of a LH reliever about to be cut that the Reds could claim before Wednesday. Doubtful though.
    Good answer.

Could use a lefty reliever and RHH outfielder by 9/1.

Nobody in the Reds organization could have imagined Amir would be so atrocious in 2021, especially considering his 2020 campaign.
    You really want at least 2 dependable leftys in the postseason pen, and right now the Reds have a not so great option in Wilson and a guy that should be nowhere NEAR a playoff roster in Garrett.

I worry it will be a situation like this in the WC game that is ultimately the Reds downfall.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

I think Garrett is safe through the end of the year, just because there's no one to replace him.
    Let's say hypothetically Lodollo was healthy. Not sure if it's wise to throw him to the fire right now.
    I have no proof, but I think it damaged Reed (or at least did not help). Point is, what if we brought Lodollo up and he struggled? Are there any arms left in AAA to replace him.

So I think Garrett is safe through the end of the year. I am not sure he'll be tendered a contract offseason or not though. I think he's arb eligible. The Reds might have some budget room this offseason (Tucker, Castanallos, and Lorenzen are likely gone) , but I'm not sure they will want to spend it on Garrett.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

16. Likes:

M2 (08-30-2021)

So with injuries like Senzel and Antone the Reds can bring up people from the farm and they would still be post season eligible even after Sept 1st therefore I see no reason to drop Garrett now. The Reds basically have two spots right there that can be used to replace Garrett for postseason…if needed.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (08-29-2021)

I was watching him pitch the other night and I thought I saw his problem: no one will swing at his slider any more. He is still throwing it to the same corner he always has and it still breaks out of the zone like it always did. But no one has any reason to swing at anything in that quadrant. He doesn't throw his fastball for strikes there, or any other pitch. If the pitch is headed in that direction, its a ball. He needs to relearn how to sequence and locate his other pitches.

20. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (08-30-2021),REDREAD (08-30-2021)

you are right jerry lynch would never swing at it

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley58 View Post
    I was watching him pitch the other night and I thought I saw his problem: no one will swing at his slider any more. He is still throwing it to the same corner he always has and it still breaks out of the zone like it always did. But no one has any reason to swing at anything in that quadrant. He doesn't throw his fastball for strikes there, or any other pitch. If the pitch is headed in that direction, its a ball. He needs to relearn how to sequence and locate his other pitches.
    My take is Amir is dependent on hitters swinging at pitches outside the zone. He has a good 44% contact rate outside the zone. So hitters have adjusted. This year, only 29% swing rate out of the zone, lower than his usual.

The result is more walks, 6.44 per nine. And hitters are swinging more in the zone and making 80% contact.

Seems like they’ve figured him out and he needs to make significant changes to be successful.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-30-2021 at 01:10 PM.

23. Likes:

Chip R (08-30-2021),Crosley58 (09-02-2021),M2 (08-30-2021),REDREAD (09-01-2021)

Turn Off Ads?