Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: 8-30-21 Reds vs Cardinals 6:40pm

Re: 8-30-21 Reds vs Cardinals 6:40pm

Quote Originally Posted by coryfly View Post
    Bell seems to think the answer to being better agianst left handers is facing more of them. Says the more they face the more they will improve against them despite everything pointing to the opposite happening.
    I don’t think that’s *always* wrong.

Young players, for example, need to face lefthanders or they really will never learn to hit them. A veteran though? We pretty much know what they’re gonna be for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

Young players, for example, need to face lefthanders or they really will never learn to hit them. A veteran though? We pretty much know what they’re gonna be for the most part.
    Probably so but it seems the team is getting worse and considering they were already the worse in the NL that is a pretty discouraging direction to go.

Quote Originally Posted by coryfly View Post
    Bell seems to think the answer to being better agianst left handers is facing more of them. Says the more they face the more they will improve against them despite everything pointing to the opposite happening.
    Bell is correct in theory. Over time, the RHH’s advantage hitting against a LHP should show up in the results.

However, this assumes a certain level of hitting ability. If the player just can’t hit, then he just can’t hit.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-30-2021 at 10:20 PM.

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Bell is correct in theory. Over time, the RHH’s advantage hitting against a LHP should show up in the results.

However, this assumes a certain level of hitting ability. If the player just can’t hit, then he just can’t hit.
    Yeah, I agree in theory. I mean, in theory getting more ABs against any type pitcher should yield better results. I would just like for them to acknowledge it may be an issue and they will at least attempt to maybe address some changes in their approach. I know I'm just being a fan though, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

Winker was platooned against lefties when he was young. It sure why they did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama Red View Post
    Winker was platooned against lefties when he was young. It sure why they did that.
    Winker has never been good against LHP. He needs to be platooned. But he can't be platooned because this team don't have a RH OFer who can hit LHP any better than Winker. So you play Winker everyday. Team needs a Gomes or a Duvall type to platoon with Winker next year. It would help Winker's overall numbers out a lot. Platoon sounds bad but in reality the Reds don't face that many LHP over a 162 game season. That would also allow Winker to stay rested and hopefully healthy. He if healthy would still get 150 games played with the games where he didn't start he would PH when a RHP came in. Still would get 550 PAs. I bet his OPS would be much higher at seasons end.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 08-30-2021 at 11:08 PM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Winker has never been good against LHP. He needs to be platooned. But he can't be platooned because this team don't have a RH OFer who can hit LHP any better than Winker. So you play Winker everyday. Team needs a Gomes or a Duvall type to platoon with Winker next year. It would help Winker's overall numbers out a lot. Platoon sounds bad but in reality the Reds don't face that many LHP over a 162 game season. That would also allow Winker to stay rested and hopefully healthy. He if healthy would still get 150 games played with the games where he didn't start he would PH when a RHP came in. Still would get 550 PAs. I bet his OPS would be much higher at seasons end.
    He looked like he had turned the corner against them last season. Idk, I think I give him a month or two at least next season again to try to figure it out before I start thinking about platooning him again. If Winker can get his OPS just up to average against them again, that would make him a huge asset.

Turn Off Ads?