Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reggie Sanders

Reggie Sanders

I was researching some old Reds' players earlier today and came across Reggie. Don't get me wrong I watched Reggie play a lot of games and knew he was a good player and had a really nice career but he was even better than I remember.

Over his 17 year career, Sanders hit over 300 HRs , stole more than 300 bases, drove in nearly 1,000 runs, had over 1,600 hits and had a career OPS of .830 . Dude had a strong arm in the outfield, too.

He finished 4th in ROY voting in 1992 (.270/.356/.462) and 6th in NL MVP voting in 1995. In that '95 campaign, Sanders had 28 HRs , 99 RBI , 36 stolen bases and batted .306. His slash line: .360 /.397/.579 with an OPS+ of 155.

In that '95 season, Larkin won the NL MVP but look at Reggie's numbers side-by-side with Larkin's that season:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sanderslarkin1.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	17646

Even though he tailed off a bit in his latter years with the Reds, Reggie enjoyed a resurgence with SD, Arizona, SF , Pittburgh, and STL.

After hitting just 14 HRS in his last season with the Reds, Reggie smack 26 bombs the next season for the Padres and OPS'ed .904 .

Two seasons later, at age 33 , Reggie hit 33 HRS an drove in 90 for the D-Backs, while OPSing an impressive .886 . He followed that up with 23 and 85 with SF and then 31 and 87 with Pittsburgh at age 35 . His OPS that season was .913 . Reggie moved on to STL where he had seasons of 22 and 21 HRS , with the 21 long balls coming in just 93 games at age 37.

Like I said, I knew Reggie was a good ballplayer but I didn't realize at just what a high level he performed at even into his mid and late thirties. I do remember Reggie being pretty strikeout prone at times but when you put up the numbers that he did, you can live with the strikeouts. I remember watching a game at Riverfront in the nineties and seeing Reggie hit one of the hardest shots I've ever seen. He belted a line drive that left the park in no time flat. That was before there was talk of exit velocity but he hit that ball with some serious velo.

What do you folks recall about Sanders? Did you maybe under appreciate his career numbers like I did? The guy could flat rake. Heck, even in his last hooray, at almost 40 years old, he had 23 hits in just 24 games with an OPS of .905 .

This topic got me to thinking --- Are there any former Reds' players that , when you looked back on their careers, you were a bit surprised at just how good a numbers they put up over the course of their careers?

Who are some guys that were even better than you remember?

Btw, Reggie Sanders IS in the Reds' HOF, isn't he ???
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 09-01-2021 at 12:30 AM.

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-01-2021),Captain Hook (09-01-2021),Flyer Guy (09-01-2021),goreds2 (09-05-2021),HokieRed (09-01-2021),M2 (09-01-2021),Patrick Bateman (09-01-2021),REDREAD (09-02-2021),Revering4Blue (09-03-2021),RichRed (09-01-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reggie Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I was researching some old Reds' players earlier today and came across Reggie. Don't get me wrong I watched Reggie play a lot of games and knew he was a good player and had a really nice career but he was even better than I remember.

Over his 17 year career, Sanders hit over 300 HRs , stole more than 300 bases, drove in nearly 1,000 runs, had over 1,600 hits and had a career OPS of .830 . Dude had a strong arm in the outfield, too.

He finished 4th in ROY voting in 1992 (.270/.356/.462) and 6th in NL MVP voting in 1995. In that '95 campaign, Sanders had 28 HRs , 99 RBI , 36 stolen bases and batted .306. His slash line: .360 /.397/.579 with an OPS+ of 155.

In that '95 season, Larkin won the NL MVP but look at Reggie's numbers side-by-side with Larkin's that season:

Name:	sanderslarkin1.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	17646

Even though he tailed off a bit in his latter years with the Reds, Reggie enjoyed a resurgence with SD, Arizona, SF , Pittburgh, and STL.

After hitting just 14 HRS in his last season with the Reds, Reggie smack 26 bombs the next season for the Padres and OPS'ed .904 .

Two seasons later, at age 33 , Reggie hit 33 HRS an drove in 90 for the D-Backs, while OPSing an impressive .886 . He followed that up with 23 and 85 with SF and then 31 and 87 with Pittsburgh at age 35 . His OPS that season was .913 . Reggie moved on to STL where he had seasons of 22 and 21 HRS , with the 21 long balls coming in just 93 games at age 37.

Like I said, I knew Reggie was a good ballplayer but I didn't realize at just what a high level he performed at even into his mid and late thirties. I do remember Reggie being pretty strikeout prone at times but when you put up the numbers that he did, you can live with the strikeouts. I remember watching a game at Riverfront in the nineties and seeing Reggie hit one of the hardest shots I've ever seen. He belted a line drive that left the park in no time flat. That was before there was talk of exit velocity but he hit that ball with some serious velo.

What do you folks recall about Sanders? Did you maybe under appreciate his career numbers like I did? The guy could flat rake. Heck, even in his last hooray, at almost 40 years old, he had 23 hits in just 24 games with an OPS of .905 .

This topic got me to thinking --- Are there any former Reds' players that , when you looked back on their careers, you were a bit surprised at just how good a numbers they put up over the course of their careers?

Who are some guys that were even better than you remember?

Btw, Reggie Sanders IS in the Reds' HOF, isn't he ???
    Reggie Sanders is not in the Reds' HOF. Couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic when asking that.

First of all, he doesn't get in the Reds HOF based on what he did for other teams. And other than 1995, his best seasons happened for others.

2nd of all, it took Dave Parker over 25 years after leaving the Reds to be inducted. If Sanders is going to get elected, that time should be coming up in the next 10 years of so.

While I pointed out what he did for other teams have no business being part of his qualifications into the Reds HOF, his 8 years with the Reds are pretty good. And since Ron Oester is in (albeit because he's Cincinnati born and played his whole mediocre career here, which I think is ridiculous but it is what it is) I certainly have no problem with Reggie getting in.

I'd compare his chances of getting into Reds HOF as those of Jay Bruce. Bruce has more homers along with more Ks(believe it or not) but Reggie has the stolen bases. They both get in eventually, but they're not at the front of the line yet.

It blows my mind just how many stolen bases they had. Sad that the game has evolved into what it is.

6. Likes:

bm1475 (09-01-2021),Chip R (09-01-2021),Ky Fried Redleg (09-01-2021),Old school 1983 (09-01-2021),REDREAD (09-02-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

That Reggie Sanders/Greg Vaughn trade worked great...for 1 year.

8. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (09-01-2021),Revering4Blue (09-03-2021),Roy Tucker (09-01-2021)

Reggie was a good player and a great guy. But my biggest memory was him flailing at high fastballs in the 1995 NLCS. Sanders invariably came up at the most critical times and if he didn’t strike out, he hit into a double play. The Braves had him well-scouted and that Braves pitching staff executed it perfectly against Sanders. I know well because I was at games 1 and 2 at Riverfront. In general, the Braves owned the Reds throughout the ‘90’s.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

Benihana (09-01-2021),bm1475 (09-01-2021),cumberlandreds (09-01-2021),GAC (09-04-2021),SunDeck (09-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Reggie was a good player and a great guy. But my biggest memory was him flailing at high fastballs in the 1995 NLCS. Sanders invariably came up at the most critical times and if he didn’t strike out, he hit into a double play. The Braves had him well-scouted and that Braves pitching staff executed it perfectly against Sanders. I know well because I was at games 1 and 2 at Riverfront. In general, the Braves owned the Reds throughout the ‘90’s.
    I believe that is the reason for Sanders not being in the Reds HOF. That was a strike out fest in the playoffs for him
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Reggie Sanders was a very good player and person. I think of him as Eric Davis lite. But as others said above, his historically bad performance in the 1995 NLCS sadly leaves a permanent scar on the memories of most Reds fans.
    Go BLUE!!!

WAR aside, what set Barry Larkin apart from Reggie Sanders is that Barry could hit good pitching. Reggie could not. That made him useless against top notch competition.

Larkin had so many better seasons than the year he won MVP.

Any yet Reggie would go on to appear in multiple World Series.

16. Likes:

757690 (09-01-2021),Revering4Blue (09-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Reggie Sanders was a very good player and person. I think of him as Eric Davis lite. But as others said above, his historically bad performance in the 1995 NLCS sadly leaves a permanent scar on the memories of most Reds fans.
    Really? I have nothing but good memories of Reggie Sanders.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-01-2021),Revering4Blue (09-03-2021)

The Reds generally have a fairly low bar for their HOF, so it's kind of nuts that Reggie's not in there. His career stats just with the Reds:

Name:	Reggie.PNG 
Views:	64 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	17647
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

20. Likes:

malcontent (09-05-2021),REDREAD (09-02-2021),Revering4Blue (09-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Really? I have nothing but good memories of Reggie Sanders.
    I do to. I wish we wouldn't have traded him.

I remember I used to have arguments with another poster on another message board about him. Me being pro-Reggie and him being anti-Reggie. He didn't care for Reggie because he never produced with runners on base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I remember I used to have arguments with another poster on another message board about him. Me being pro-Reggie and him being anti-Reggie. He didn't care for Reggie because he never produced with runners on base.
    Wasn't that an argument we had about a number of Reds sluggers over the years? I'm pretty sure Dunn and Junior were two guys who all too often smashed big solo shots, but did little with runners in scoring position.

24. Likes:

Sea Ray (09-01-2021)

Turn Off Ads?