Thread: Reggie Sanders

Re: Reggie Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    jeez must have been a slow news week
    http://content.time.com/time/magazin...825120,00.html
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

On another pitcher: "Not recommended on present style. Has major-league equipment but is a Thomas Edison"—a baseball term for any player who is continually experimenting.
    Never heard that term. Has it ever been used to describe a certain Reds 1st Baseman?

my favorite reds moment was when they acquired jim owens

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    jeez must have been a slow news week
    This was just after the whole AS Game stuffing fiasco and the Reds were getting national press, Crosley was also eying getting more parking or a new stadium, the Giants and Dodgers were getting ready to flee NYC and the Pirates and Reds were being courted as being a possible replacement (on the down low)

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    The Reds generally have a fairly low bar for their HOF, so it's kind of nuts that Reggie's not in there. His career stats just with the Reds:

Attachment 17647
    Agreed.. Dave Parker, Ron Oester, Casey are in.
    Wow, Dan Driessen is in, I had no idea.
    Marty is in, and all he did was talk.

I don't want to go through the rest of the roster, but the point is , much worse players are in.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

8. Likes:

mth123 (09-02-2021),Revering4Blue (09-03-2021)

ron oester should have barely made the triple a hall of fame
    might as well let dick simpson in

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Agreed.. Dave Parker, Ron Oester, Casey are in.
    Wow, Dan Driessen is in, I had no idea.
    Marty is in, and all he did was talk.

I don't want to go through the rest of the roster, but the point is , much worse players are in.
    Again, I have no problem with Reggie Sanders in the Reds HOF. But, if you're going to take a Tommy Helms and Ron Oester and say "Okay, everyone who ever had a better career with the Reds than those two, go in, the flood gates will open and it will be totally worthless. You can't take what we deem as ridiculous and then make it more ridiculous. Because Oester is in, doesn't mean it'll make things better for Bobby Tolan, Bernie Carbo, Hal Morris, Joe Oliver, Bret Boone, Aaron Boone etc... to go in.

We're going to have to accept that politics and birth place have been used as criteria to get some players in.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (09-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    ron oester should have barely made the triple a hall of fame
    might as well let dick simpson in
    Isn't part of the criteria that a player must have played at least 5 seasons as a Cincinnati Red?

Ron OESTER! was a worse ballplayer than I thought at the time. He was pretty bad.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (09-02-2021),Ron Madden (09-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Again, I have no problem with Reggie Sanders in the Reds HOF. But, if you're going to take a Tommy Helms and Ron Oester and say "Okay, everyone who ever had a better career with the Reds than those two, go in, the flood gates will open and it will be totally worthless. You can't take what we deem as ridiculous and then make it more ridiculous. Because Oester is in, doesn't mean it'll make things better for Bobby Tolan, Bernie Carbo, Hal Morris, Joe Oliver, Bret Boone, Aaron Boone etc... to go in.

We're going to have to accept that politics and birth place have been used as criteria to get some players in.
    Good point. In addition to being born in Cincy, I am sure Oester got some points for longevity too.
    Also, when he played for the Reds, there wasn't much to cheer for, not many good players, thus not much competition for the Reds HOF.
    When Rose arrived, it was the tail end of Oester's career (the talent did improve then)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Ron OESTER! was a worse ballplayer than I thought at the time. He was pretty bad.
    Born and raised in Cincinnati, played the "Where did you go to High School?" game which is famous in town, preferred Blue Ash Chili, knew Buddy LaRosa, once met Aaron Pryor... he was almost in after enduring the early 1980's

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Isn't part of the criteria that a player must have played at least 5 seasons as a Cincinnati Red?
    See Wayne Granger

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Three. For the modern ballot a player has to have been active in the last 13 years. Everybody else goes to the Veterans ballot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

19. Likes:

REDREAD (09-03-2021),Ron Madden (09-02-2021)

ok five seasons then lets let in john tsitouris

Oester played his entire career (13 years) in his hometown for the Reds, and culminated it by winning a World Series ring.

The Reds Hall of Fame is as much a fraternity (and I mean that in a good way) or alumni organization as it is anything else. The members want their compatriots included, and most of the fans want to see the players of their youth enshrined.

Those who want extreme rigor in the selection process and a "small hall" should probably be directed to Cooperstown, because that's not what the Reds HOF is all about.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

22. Likes:

Chip R (09-02-2021),REDREAD (09-03-2021),Revering4Blue (09-03-2021)

Turn Off Ads?