Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 9-1-21 Reds vs Cardinals Game 2

Re: 9-1-21 Reds vs Cardinals Game 2

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Old friend JVM just hit a 2 run bomb to make it 4-0 over the Padres.
    That's good. He really owes us
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

KeefeCato (09-01-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    His BABIP is .178 and he's walked 8 times, looks like he is seeing very little to hit as well.
    That shift has probably hurt him more than any Red since they started shifting. He has lifted more balls this year though to try and beat it.
    I forgot to add this to my post. FAMILY BOARD.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 09-01-2021 at 05:17 PM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Cabrera in his last 65 PA's - .206/.206/.309/.515 - No walks, no power.

There is a chance he's done or hurt.
    It’s not pretty, but he has managed to be good against LHP most of the season. He’s shown signs of life against them this season at least, which is far more than one can say about Suarez. And the way they’ve been hitting lately, they need to scrape together every single run they can get.

It’d make more sense if Cabrera were hurt and not playing for that reason, but if that were the case I don’t think they would’ve picked him up to begin with.

Or at least if not Cabrera, then Barrero should’ve stayed up with Farmer playing 3B. Or play Alejo Lopez there. They’ve got a lot of options there and it’s an extremely low bar at this point to outplay Suarez at this point, and likely by a significant margin at that.

His BABIP is .178 and he's walked 8 times, looks like he is seeing very little to hit as well.
    If you're talking about Votto, you're spot on. The guy has a consistent swing, a pretty consistent eye at the plate. But, My God, is not getting much protection. I honestly think he doesn't care either way, he's a feller that just goes about his business. If I'm a pitcher I just throw him junk, knowing that I won't have to change that approach to strike the next guy out.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    If the Reds don't get into the playoffs, I see Bell fired at season end. Yes, he's gotten some of these guys to over-achieve, and was able to massage Votto into a brief resurgence, but putting some of these guys in day in and day out, to the detriment of the club's success, is a fireable offense.
    Do we want Bell fired though? Honestly, he's the best manager we've had since Dusty. If you remove Dusty.. who was the last good manager we had? Jack McKeon , I guess.
    Bell does some things that are maddening, but he kept the team in the wild card race.
    Reds are probably going to end up winning 10 more games than I thought they would.
    It's a miracle he kept this team afloat when his primary relievers were Brach and Hembree and everyone else being pretty much awful.
    If I had confidence the Reds would find a top manager, then yea, go ahead and fire Bell.
    But the Reds are likely to hire someone much worse. Maybe even worse than David Price. It's too risky.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

8. Likes:

KeefeCato (09-01-2021)

Anyone else here want the shift banned? I do. I'm going to go to my grave lamenting the old days.

10. Likes:

KeefeCato (09-01-2021),Monster Man (09-01-2021),REDREAD (09-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Very possible, but the Reds thought he was worth getting for some reason, right? But they certainly aren't trying to use him very much, so far.
    I almost wonder if Cabrera was picked up primarily as insurance in case Moose had to go on the DL again.

12. Likes:

KeefeCato (09-01-2021),NebraskaRed (09-01-2021),OldFashionedRed (09-01-2021),Ron Madden (09-01-2021),westofyou (09-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Do we want Bell fired though? Honestly, he's the best manager we've had since Dusty. If you remove Dusty.. who was the last good manager we had? Jack McKeon , I guess.
    Bell does some things that are maddening, but he kept the team in the wild card race.
    Reds are probably going to end up winning 10 more games than I thought they would.
    It's a miracle he kept this team afloat when his primary relievers were Brach and Hembree and everyone else being pretty much awful.
    If I had confidence the Reds would find a top manager, then yea, go ahead and fire Bell.
    But the Reds are likely to hire someone much worse. Maybe even worse than David Price. It's too risky.
    Maybe one of the whizzes here can graph out all of decisions this season, in terms of whether they immediately (current batter faced or put in as pinch hitter) led to a success or failure? It's probably 50/50 meaning that in the grand scheme of things managers don't really have that much impact on the long season, that the guys put out there have to perform.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (09-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Anyone else here want the shift banned? I do. I'm going to go to my grave lamenting the old days.
    The shift and 100 mph pitchers are mostly the reason we see hitters going with the launch angle. They figure the best way to beat the shift is hit the ball in the air. So we see the three outcomes for batters. Also reason for the low OBP and Averages. I hate the shift.

16. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (09-01-2021),REDREAD (09-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Is he secretly hiding some great players on the bench though? Like this is just what the roster is.
    Yeah that’s the worst part of this stretch. The roster has been exposed for what it is.

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Yeah that’s the worst part of this stretch. The roster has been exposed for what it is.
    Winker is really missed. He wouldn't help much against LHP but I would rather see him at bat against them than Aquino. This team would really be in a mess without Naquin's hot streak he has been on. Which to me is why of all the questionable moves we saw today. The biggest one was Lopez hitting for Naquin earlier in the game. Would have been nice to see him hitting in the 9th. I am not sure Lopez can hit a ball hard. I don't think I have saw him do it yet.

20. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (09-01-2021),REDREAD (09-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    The shift and 100 mph pitchers are mostly the reason we see hitters going with the launch angle. They figure the best way to beat the shift is hit the ball in the air. So we see the three outcomes for batters. Also reason for the low OBP and Averages. I hate the shift.
    Before I get called a loony tune on here, I actually had the thought today while driving home from dropping my husband off at work, that maybe like-minded people with money to burn can start up an independent league of sorts, where the game is played as it was decades ago. Tobacco and beer allowed, no steroids or poppers. And, then grow the league. I'm all for it.

22. Likes:

KeefeCato (09-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I almost wonder if Cabrera was picked up primarily as insurance in case Moose had to go on the DL again.
    That or possibly to block Stl or Philly or SD from getting him? I don't know all the rules on that. Kinsm would have to explain that for me.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (09-01-2021)

If Bob C was dictating Suarez start would it not be for RH too? Guess it’s good that he doesn’t tell them to sit India for Moose more often. I just think they hope one of them gets on a hot streak so it’s easier to trade one of them ASAP.

26. Likes:

REDREAD (09-01-2021)

I'm ok with Suarez starting tonight. He still hits the ball out of the ballpark with more frequency than our other 3B options. Yeah he's looked like a lost cause most of the year, but I still hold out hope that he's capable of turning it around to some extent and getting a few more timely hits (like the double earlier today).

Aquino's presence bothers me a lot more. Especially now with DeShields available, he's just a liability that should be off the roster. Now please go hit 3 HRs tonight, Aristides, and make me look like an idiot!

28. Likes:

REDREAD (09-01-2021)

Turn Off Ads?