Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Guys You Would Sit For the Remainder of the Season

Three Guys You Would Sit For the Remainder of the Season

Just a little hypothetical here. You're the Reds' manager. You've seen what your personnel can do and can't do for five months now. At this pivotal point in the season, with just a month to go and you're in the hunt for a Red October, name three guys who have seen playing time this year for the Reds who you would sit for the remainder of the season because you view them as more of a liability than an asset. You see them costing you games more than winning you games going forward. Who would be your Big Three that you would bench from here on out. The player can be a position player or pitcher. This is just a friendly little hypothetical exercise. I'd be interested to hear which three you have seen enough of this season.

In no particular order(because they are all big liabilities), I'm going with :

Mike Moustakas
    Aristides Aquino
    Amir Garrett

A week or two ago Suarez would have probably been on this list but he seems to have gained maybe a tad of confidence and still has the ability to run into one every now and then. Maybe it's his three run bomb that wins us a big game. Moustakas still does not seem right to me, either at the plate or n the field. It's a hold your breath moment every time a ball is hit to him at third.
    Aquino has really shown nothing for a very long time. I'm not even sure he's a major league player at this point.

Do you agree or disagree with my selections? Who would make your list? Thanks in advance for your comments and contributions to this topic.

ADDED NOTE: If there aren't three guys you are willing to sit for the remainder of the season, maybe you can name three that you don't want to see in any high leverage situations again this year.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 09-04-2021 at 01:54 PM.

2. Likes:

MR X (09-05-2021),WVKing304 (09-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Three Guys You Would Sit For the Remainder of the Season

Moustakas might be the worst FA signing in Reds history over Milton, because his $$ couldve gone to a contributor at a pivotal point in Reds history
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

5. Likes:

HokieRed (09-04-2021),MR X (09-05-2021),RedsFanInMS (09-07-2021),WVKing304 (09-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Moustakas might be the worst FA signing in Reds history over Milton, because his $$ couldve gone to a contributor at a pivotal point in Reds history
    If 16M a year for 4 years is the worst signing in franchise history then the Reds must be great at signing good contracts, or at least elite at avoiding bad ones.

Mike Moustakas is the 80th highest paid player in MLB this year.

7. Likes:

Chip R (09-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Paging Homer Bailey....

9. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-05-2021),REDREAD (09-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by PTjvs View Post
    If 16M a year for 4 years is the worst signing in franchise history then the Reds must be great at signing good contracts, or at least elite at avoiding bad ones.

Mike Moustakas is the 80th highest paid player in MLB this year.
    I think money aside it's hard to imagine anyone in recent memory being a worse signing or bigger failure than Milton. Sure with Moose had we/they not signed him the money could have went elsewhere.

But Milton was a "big" name signing as a pitcher at a time in which we had essentially no one in the starting rotation and no one in the immediate pipeline. We had Aaron Harang, and we had, well, Aaron Harang. He hadn't hit his peak yet as a Red and we had a mediocre yet slightly overachieving Paul Wilson the year before we signed Milton.

We needed Milton to at least be what he was in Minnesota and Philadelphia and he wasn't anything close.

Mostly because of injuries, Moose hasn't been close to his baseball card here either. But at least they are legitimate options who can fill in and be reasonably competent whether it's India, Farmer, Schrock, Lopez from the minors, even Blandino if he's healthy can play some defense and get on base. Sadly it's hard to even count Senzel in the picture but he's competent enough as well when playing.

not really aquino won the game last night

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    not really aquino won the game last night
    Yep, blind squirrel ran into a nut. Glad it happened, happy for him but do we want to see that squirrel hopelessly searching for a nut thrown by Kershaw with two on and two out in the 8th inning and down a run ?

I hope he runs into ten more but I think the prospects of that are very small. Rooting for him whenever he's in that lineup, though.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 09-05-2021 at 12:49 PM.

13. Likes:

MR X (09-05-2021)

The Reds need a RH OF, need Moose to perform and have given only six innings to Amir in the last month.

This isn't HS ball, the Reds need talent to produce, they obviously see Amir as problematic and are forced to use the other two because of Senzel's injury and Geno's ineffective performance

If you sit Moose who do you play at third? IRRC you also don't want Geno at third.

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-05-2021),Wonderful Monds (09-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Reds need a RH OF, need Moose to perform and have given only six innings to Amir in the last month.

This isn't HS ball, the Reds need talent to produce, they obviously see Amir as problematic and are forced to use the other two because of Senzel's injury and Geno's ineffective performance

If you sit Moose who do you play at third? IRRC you also don't want Geno at third.

There's not any really good options. I guess just give Geno and Asdrubal the time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    There's not any really good options. I guess just give Geno and Asdrubal the time there(or the Shrockster )

There's not any really good options. I guess just give Geno and Asdrubal the time there.
    So you willing to place your eggs in 35 year old Cabrera's basket eh?

.228/.256/.367/.623 since August first

Bold move

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    So you willing to place your eggs in 35 year old Cabrera's basket eh?

.228/.256/.367/.623 since August first

Bold move

Not looking to argue, just saying there aren't really any great options. Cabrera hasn't looked good in the 7 or 8 ABs he's had with the Reds but he has hit lefties at .280 or so. Moose hasn't performed well since he became a Red. I do like Shrock a lot. I try to get him in the lineup as much as possible. Geno seems to maybe in the process of figuring some things out. I hope Moose makes a complete an utter ass of me and my doubts about his ability to play prove to be unfounded.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Moose hasn't performed well since he became a Red.
    He had an 800 OPS last year

Not looking to argue, just saying there aren't really any great options. Cabrera hasn't looked good in the 7 or 8 ABs he's had with the Reds but he has hit lefties at .280 or so. Moose hasn't performed well since he became a Red. I do like Shrock a lot. I try to get him in the lineup as much as possible. Geno seems to maybe in the process of figuring some things out. I hope Moose makes a complete an utter ass of me and my doubts about his ability to play prove to be unfounded.
    I’m not arguing I’m just saying the choices are limited if you want LH bats in the lineup. Schrock is in LF today, put him at third and you need to play Shogo, who is the worst hitter on the team.

As for LHs, sure play Cabrera, they will sit Moose anyway. But at GAB I’m sure that Geno’s power plays better than Cabrera’s

Schrock like Moose would sit vs LHs.

Point is there are twenty five or so games left and the best way to win is to mix and match, not give up on anyone fully

22. Likes:

HokieRed (09-06-2021),mth123 (09-06-2021),Ron Madden (09-05-2021),TRF (09-08-2021),wlf WV (09-07-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Garrett
    Suarez
    Shogo
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?