2. Jonathan Schoop (R) 1B
    3. Robbie Grossman (S) LF
    4. Jeimer Candelario (S) 3B
    5. Eric Haase (R) C
    6. Niko Goodrum (S) SS
    7. Victor Reyes (S) RF
    8. Willi Castro (S) 2B
    9. Casey Mize (R) P
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 09-05-2021 at 09:18 AM.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-05-2021),KeefeCato (09-05-2021),NebraskaRed (09-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 9-5-21 Reds vs Tigers 1:10pm

Chris McCosky
    @cmccosky
    So reports of Nick Castellanos opting out of his contract are premature: "Nothing you heard has come from my mouth," he said. "Any speculation about free agency is nothing that's come from my mouth. Right now, the only thing that's next for me is focusing on winning here."

5. Likes:

Mitri (09-05-2021),WVRedsFan (09-05-2021)

When was the last time a major league team started five switch hitters?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Bad news: Mize is the real deal. He's tough.

Good news: He has pitched more innings this year than he ever has at any level. Maybe he's getting tired...hopefully?

They call me "chef"

Took another walk around GABP with my Nikon and got a better shot of the plaque on the front wall of the stadium.

Name:  44DF644D-EC19-401F-B981-E6F59D36ADEB.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  39.2 KB

A custodian saw me taking a photo and she told me it was installed in 2009 but the plaque itself was forged in 1978. It was adapted from a speech by a Riverfront Field usher who had been with the team for 89 years. This was their message to all fans who would ever pass through the turnstiles of Riverfront. Apparently, it was commissioned and made that year but the vendor filed for unruly bankruptcy and locked a lot of their projects in a warehouse that was never re-opened. In 2008, a storage auction was held and a family member of Jay Bruce purchased a mystery pallet and this plaque was in there. It was finally installed in 2009 and, within a year of Reds fans seeing it on the front wall, the Reds were in the playoffs. In 2011, a Brandon Phillips banner was placed over the plaque and, from 2014 until 2019, some ivy grew over the more important parts of the message. It was unsheathed once more in the 2019 off-season and the Reds have been in the playoffs ever since. I thanked the custodian for the history and said I would share with others here on the greatest Reds message board on earth, RedLegs Baseball Message Board.

(Above copied and pasted from my account on another Reds forum)

9. Likes:

NebraskaRed (09-05-2021)

For him to not opt out would be insane. I just hope the Reds make a competitive offer to keep him. He seems to love the nati and the nati loves him.

11. Likes:

JFLegal (09-05-2021),REDREAD (09-05-2021)

sounds good, but what is castellanos going to say to the media in the middle of a playoff race? i'm definitely opting out? of course he's not going to say that.

i would still put the odds of him opting out at 99.9% (and that might be conservative). doesn't mean the reds can't resign him if he opts out, but he will opt out. his market value will be worth far more than 2-years, $16M per year. and don't forget who his agent is. boras will try and get every penny possible.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 09-05-2021 at 11:28 AM.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (09-05-2021)

Mark Sheldon
    @m_sheldon

Bell said the #reds will have a roster move coming within the hour to activate reliever Brad Brach.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    When was the last time a major league team started five switch hitters?
    The Cardinals of the mid-to-late 80's regularly started five switch-hitters:
    Vince Coleman
    Willie McGee
    Tom Herr
    Terry Pendleton
    Ozzie Smith
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (09-05-2021),Ron Madden (09-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Took another walk around GABP with my Nikon and got a better shot of the plaque on the front wall of the stadium.

Name:  44DF644D-EC19-401F-B981-E6F59D36ADEB.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  39.2 KB

A custodian saw me taking a photo and she told me it was installed in 2009 but the plaque itself was forged in 1978. It was adapted from a speech by a Riverfront Field usher who had been with the team for 89 years. This was their message to all fans who would ever pass through the turnstiles of Riverfront. Apparently, it was commissioned and made that year but the vendor filed for unruly bankruptcy and locked a lot of their projects in a warehouse that was never re-opened. In 2008, a storage auction was held and a family member of Jay Bruce purchased a mystery pallet and this plaque was in there. It was finally installed in 2009 and, within a year of Reds fans seeing it on the front wall, the Reds were in the playoffs. In 2011, a Brandon Phillips banner was placed over the plaque and, from 2014 until 2019, some ivy grew over the more important parts of the message. It was unsheathed once more in the 2019 off-season and the Reds have been in the playoffs ever since. I thanked the custodian for the history and said I would share with others here on the greatest Reds message board on earth, RedLegs Baseball Message Board.

(Above copied and pasted from my account on another Reds forum)
    What the heck is it supposed to mean? I don't understand the message.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    What the heck is it supposed to mean? I don't understand the message.
    The message is to believe in the Reds players and they will play well. The more specific idea is that your belief as a Reds fan makes them stronger so they can perform at a higher level. And the science I guess is that a lack of doubt will harden their bones. Some of that is not literal but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    sounds good, but what is castellanos going to say to the media in the middle of a playoff race? i'm definitely opting out? of course he's not going to say that.

i would still put the odds of him opting out at 99.9% (and that might be conservative). doesn't mean the reds can't resign him if he opts out, but he will opt out. his market value will be worth far more than 2-years, $16M per year. and don't forget who his agent is. boras will try and get every penny possible.
    I don't think Nick was lying when he said winning is the only thing on his mind. Opting out wont be till after the Reds play there last game. He is 100% opting out. Reds will have to overpay to keep him. If they do Bob will claim poverty and not fix CF or the Pen. It is life as usual for Reds fans.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (09-05-2021),wlf WV (09-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post

I don't think Nick was lying when he said winning is the only thing on his mind. Opting out wont be till after the Reds play there last game. He is 100% opting out. Reds will have to overpay to keep him. If they do Bob will claim poverty and not fix CF or the Pen. It is life as usual for Reds fans.
    I do hope they never sign another player with these opt outs in their contracts. But that is probably the new thing for agents so they may not have a choice.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (09-05-2021)

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds
    ·
    5m
    Today the #Reds activated from 10-day injured list RHP Brad Brach (right shoulder impingement) and optioned to Triple-A Louisville IF Alejo Lopez.

That may keep Barrero in the minors then. Unless they are ready to release Garrett .

25. Likes:

REDREAD (09-05-2021)

Turn Off Ads?