Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead Final Season...

The Walking Dead Final Season...

Anybody still watching this? I was a huge fan until about season 9 when I basically stopped watching it from sheer boredom. Happened to catch the first 3 episodes of season 11 last night and was quite pleasantly surprised by the pace and action of the show. Has more of a movie feel to it and for the most part they have avoided the long boring interpersonal scenes that plagued previous seasons IMO (well at least the first 2 episodes did, episode 3 wasted too much damn time on the silly horses theme).

Happy to see that Neegan is still alive as he more than anyone is a symbol of just how effed up the post-apocalyptic world is and how there is no clear line between good and evil anymore.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Walking Dead Final Season...

I am, Doc. I collected the entire comic book series and the most interesting thing is that this season has a ton of stuff that actually isn't in the books. For example, the Reapers don't exist in the comics, and there's a lot more Neegan content at this point in the story. The Neegan/Maggie thing going on right now is dynamite. So, for me, it's like getting a glimpse into Kirkman's alternate TWD universe. And I actually didn't mind the horses thing- I think that sets up exactly how desperate the Alexandrians are becoming, which I'm sure will play into things as the series moves into the endgame.

Now, what I really want to see is whether or not the "Fear" cast ends up meeting the TWD cast before the latter series closes out.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

4. Likes:

DocRed (09-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I am, Doc. I collected the entire comic book series and the most interesting thing is that this season has a ton of stuff that actually isn't in the books. For example, the Reapers don't exist in the comics, and there's a lot more Neegan content at this point in the story. The Neegan/Maggie thing going on right now is dynamite. So, for me, it's like getting a glimpse into Kirkman's alternate TWD universe. And I actually didn't mind the horses thing- I think that sets up exactly how desperate the Alexandrians are becoming, which I'm sure will play into things as the series moves into the endgame.

Now, what I really want to see is whether or not the "Fear" cast ends up meeting the TWD cast before the latter series closes out.
    I already don't watch tv regularly. If Fear The Dead doesn't pick up where TWD leaves, I'll be closer to stepping off the ledge.

6. Likes:

DocRed (09-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    I already don't watch tv regularly. If Fear The Dead doesn't pick up where TWD leaves, I'll be closer to stepping off the ledge.
    Well, first, Fear will need to catch up to TWD. It might currently be anywhere between 4 and 6 years behind TWD based on the timelines. They were getting closer until TWD had about a 6-year time jump into season 9. Now, we won't know how far forward the next season of Fear will be, given the implausible shark-jumping nature of the last season finale, but I'd say maybe a couple years before we see anyone from that show wandering about. If both groups arrive at the same place (and they might), it could be problematic because that would mean the Fear group got there first. But that would spoil the next few seasons of that show unless they move ahead the same 6 years.

Sorry for the vagueness. I'm just trying to not spoil anything for those who haven't caught up yet.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

This is from a couple years ago if anyone is interested...

Name:  Walking Dead Timeline.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  215.1 KB

https://www.reddit.com/r/thewalkingd...tm_term=d01jmy

--Ted Williams

There is also supposed to be a Daryl and Carol spinoff show starting in 2023 or after TWD ends as well as a series of Rick Grimes movies.

I tried...but could never get into the comics for whatever reason. Fear is probably on life support as I think their ratings are even worse than TWD at this point. I haven't watched that for a couple years either though. Killing off Madison Clark so early was a mistake IMO.
    Last edited by DocRed; 09-06-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    There is also supposed to be a Daryl and Carol spinoff show starting in 2023 or after TWD ends as well as a series of Rick Grimes movies.
    Well, the first will be completely new territory as Daryl doesn't exist in the comics and Carol has been long dead at this point in the story.

I'm really not sure what territory the Rick movies will be covering. That always seemed like a weird and potentially deceptive announcement because...well, reasons.

--Ted Williams

Well, the first will be completely new territory as Daryl doesn't exist in the comics and Carol has been long dead at this point in the story.

I'm really not sure what territory the Rick movies will be covering. That always seemed like a weird and potentially deceptive announcement because...well, reasons.
    I'm pretty sure if it were up to Kirkman they would all be dead by now lol

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I'm pretty sure if it were up to Kirkman they would all be dead by now lol
    Actually, it is all up to Kirkman.

--Ted Williams

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Fear is infinitely better than the original right now. Daryl and Negan are the only people keeping the latter alive. I’ll watch until the end just to put a bow on it, but that last few seasons have been painful to watch.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

15. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-07-2021)

They call me "chef"

I remember being so excited for season 1, enjoying its serious-but-also-campy episodic sci-fi tone (whatever happened to the homies in that hospital?), and then wondering WTF was going on in season 2. I stuck with it for a few more years, each year hoping it’d course correct into something closer in quality and tone to that episode Turn (I think) but it never did. I think the fake Steven Yuen death season is when I stopped watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I remember being so excited for season 1, enjoying its serious-but-also-campy episodic sci-fi tone (whatever happened to the homies in that hospital?), and then wondering WTF was going on in season 2. I stuck with it for a few more years, each year hoping it’d course correct into something closer in quality and tone to that episode Turn (I think) but it never did. I think the fake Steven Yuen death season is when I stopped watching.
    No one liked the Glenn fake-out "death". I think it particularly irked fans of the comic (like me), who knew that Glenn was going to be killed by Negan. Glenn's death-by-Lucille moment had to happen because it set up a ton for the rest of the series. Knowing that, the fake-out just seemed like a cruel, stupid way to toy with the TV audience.

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Fear is infinitely better than the original right now. Daryl and Negan are the only people keeping the latter alive. I’ll watch until the end just to put a bow on it, but that last few seasons have been painful to watch.
    Between those two series, I miss the characters of Glenn (Steven Yeun) and Nick (Frank Dillane) the most. But John Dorie Jr. (Garret Dillahunt) comes in a close third. I'll keep watching Fear just to see how they land the shark jump, but I'm struggling to find any of the remaining characters interesting, save for Victor.

--Ted Williams

Actually, it is all up to Kirkman.
    Not sure about that...I think he gave up a fair amount of his executive decision making to AMC in turn for bringing the comic to TV and the bounties $$$ of that. I mean I was obsessed with the show and watched and read everything I could about the show for almost a decade. I could be wrong...but that was the impression I got. I remember watching several interviews where he more or less implied this. There were also several Talking Dead shows I remember when he was on along with like one of the shows Executives and it seemed clear to me who was running the TV show and making the big decisions. It almost seems sad to me that the creator was kind of like just sitting there without much say or to say. JMO...
    Last edited by DocRed; 09-07-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Turn Off Ads?