Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Eugenio Suarez - WT bloody....?

Re: Eugenio Suarez - WT bloody....?

I actually do think Suarez is the better bet over Moustakas moving forward, largely owing to this hot finish because otherwise it's purely hypothethical, but man the way some people tell it you'd think Moustakas was the one who didn't hit at all for 5 months instead of Suarez. Moose hit .230/.331/.468 last year and had a .241/.337/.437 line this year before his long IL stint started. No those aren't superstar numbers but that's a productive hitter. He comes off the IL, looks horrible for like 30 games or so, and now he's suddenly public enemy #1, a big fat out of shape SOB who's never been any good and never will be again. It's pretty ridiculous.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-28-2021),cumberlandreds (09-27-2021),Edd Roush (09-28-2021),Kc61 (09-27-2021),M2 (09-28-2021),Patrick Bateman (09-27-2021),RedsFanInMS (09-28-2021),Ron Madden (09-27-2021),westofyou (09-27-2021),Wonderful Monds (09-27-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Suarez actually has a shot at finishing over .200. Sad as that sounds, I think this late season surge may actually restore some trade value. Not the kinda value he had after 2019 of course, but he's likely to reach 30 homers again and still plays decent D. Another organization may think he's still got at least another couple strong seasons in him. I actually hope he doesn't get traded if it would make Moose the full time starter in 2022, but that's probably what'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I actually do think Suarez is the better bet over Moustakas moving forward, largely owing to this hot finish because otherwise it's purely hypothethical, but man the way some people tell it you'd think Moustakas was the one who didn't hit at all for 5 months instead of Suarez. Moose hit .230/.331/.468 last year and had a .241/.337/.437 line this year before his long IL stint started. No those aren't superstar numbers but that's a productive hitter. He comes off the IL, looks horrible for like 30 games or so, and now he's suddenly public enemy #1, a big fat out of shape SOB who's never been any good and never will be again. It's pretty ridiculous.
    Guy has always looked like a football player and has a bad foot, that doesn’t mean he’s done.

His biggest wart has always been his on base percentage and speed.

Otherwise he’s like Scott Rolen lite, loved by teammates, makes good baseball decisions and has pop and a closed mouth.

If his foot heals he’s likely to slim down and be hungry, which is good because he has a couple more years and I’m not sure he’s movable now with the foot injury

But yeah, sure deride his career in funny 7th grade boys ways via the keyboard, that’s why I come to Redszone

6. Likes:

757690 (09-27-2021),Edd Roush (09-28-2021),Mitri (09-27-2021),Ron Madden (09-27-2021),savafan (09-30-2021),Tom Servo (09-27-2021),wlf WV (09-28-2021),Wonderful Monds (09-27-2021)

LOL at the backtracking on this thread after the fact. Let me call today's Powerball numbers tomorrow too..

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    Suarez will have a bounce back year in 2022. Plus he's a great clubhouse guy.
    He sure is. That does make a difference. The tv crew mentioned maybe a week ago that he looks "pull happy". If the Reds can fix that, look out!

I prefer the Reds keep both, move Moose to 1B and Votto to DH for next season, assuming the NL gets the DH next season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

10. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-28-2021),Ron Madden (09-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    Suarez actually has a shot at finishing over .200. Sad as that sounds, I think this late season surge may actually restore some trade value. Not the kinda value he had after 2019 of course, but he's likely to reach 30 homers again and still plays decent D. Another organization may think he's still got at least another couple strong seasons in him. I actually hope he doesn't get traded if it would make Moose the full time starter in 2022, but that's probably what'll happen.
    Very little chance of .200 because, with so many PAs, the needle doesn’t move much per each hit.

Good luck to Suarez but .200 is a tall order with five games remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Very little chance of .200 because, with so many PAs, the needle doesn’t move much per each hit.

Good luck to Suarez but .200 is a tall order with five games remaining.
    He'll need to go 8-for-20 to get there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He'll need to go 8-for-20 to get there.
    Yeah, I see he’s at .193, a little higher than I thought. Would be nice if he makes it, 8 for 20 is tough but doable. Could use another Reds’ hitting route like today.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-27-2021 at 10:43 PM.

batting average over .200 would be nice but I'd settle for an OPS over .700
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-28-2021),M2 (09-27-2021),Ron Madden (09-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    batting average over .200 would be nice but I'd settle for an OPS over .700
    Given his month of September, I'd say there's hope - hitting .346 with an OPS of 1.166 in 62 PAs.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    Given his month of September, I'd say there's hope - hitting .346 with an OPS of 1.166 in 62 PAs.
    And all it will do is mask how horrible his play has been this season. He has been a major contributor to the Reds failure.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    To have someone take him the Reds will need to do either:

A - Eat a lot of money
    B - Take an equally bad contract
    C - Package talent with him to offset the salary
    Agree. Getting rid of Suarez is not going to be as easy as ripping a band-aid right off. Owed 11M over the next three years, with a club option 2M buyout. OUCH! The Reds only hope (IMO) is that he rebounds enough in '22 to make him marketable or included in a package deal. Like LA did for us with Bailey.

Moose, at age 33, and owed 16M next season, 18M in '23, and 4M buy-out in 24?? Pray for a miracle.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    And all it will do is mask how horrible his play has been this season. He has been a major contributor to the Reds failure.
    I mean, it doesn't even do that...his numbers and season are going to be horrible even with this hot ending. There is no covering for that.

But what it does tell us is what he might be capable of moving forward. Maybe it's a better approach, a healthier shoulder, or whatever random reason...but he's been all-star caliber player very recently and he is showing that it still might be in there somewhere moving forward. That would be really good news for the Reds as they are pretty much stuck with him at this point, and cutting him now and eating the money would accomplish nothing.

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-28-2021)

I’d feel better about both Moose and Suarez next year if there’s a DH rule.

Even if both Geno and Moose are healthy and hitting, there’s still the problem of too many corner infielders. DH helps alleviate that.

Reds also have Winker, who DH’d last season.

If, as I expect, good trades for Suarez/Moose won’t be out there, Reds need the DH rule for next season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-28-2021 at 08:49 AM.

22. Likes:

wlf WV (09-28-2021)

Turn Off Ads?