Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eugenio Suarez - WT bloody....?

Re: Eugenio Suarez - WT bloody....?

I think health has to play a part, combined with the wrong approach with his current limitations. He changed his approach over time to fit unique strength he built on, and if he can’t drive the ball anymore and loading that hard on a swing it’s a really bad combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I think health has to play a part, combined with the wrong approach with his current limitations. He changed his approach over time to fit unique strength he built on, and if he can’t drive the ball anymore and loading that hard on a swing it’s a really bad combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed, he can only do one thing so he looks for that all the time and every other time he looks ineffective

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Moustakas has a .244/.315/.465 line against RHPs. He's fine as the main part of a platoon. He's just got to stay healthy.
    I don't think there is any point in a platoon at this point. You play the guy that is hitting the ball at the moment. If you have been watching the games, that choice is abundantly clear. Or put Max in there.

Suarez:

Last 7 days 6 4 17 12 5 4 2 0 2 3 0 0 3 4 .333 .471 1.000 1.471
    Last 14 days 10 7 28 22 6 5 2 0 2 3 0 0 4 8 .227 .357 .591 .948

Moustakas:

Last 7 days 5 3 14 14 0 3 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 5 .214 .214 .286 .500
    Last 14 days 9 6 24 24 2 5 2 0 1 4 0 0 0 8 .208 .208 .417 .625

6. Likes:

RedForLife (09-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Can you just outright release a player who is performing this badly? I mean, what other job than in athletics, can you perform so badly and expect to keep your job?

EDIT: I mean outright release a player and not honor the rest of their contract.
    It happens in all lines of work, golden parachutes for bank execs who ran the bank into the ground or network guys paid millions to go away.

Contracts are awesome
    Last edited by KronoRed; 09-09-2021 at 07:53 AM.
    Go Gators!

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    To me it's gotta be one of two reasons: (1) His shoulder injury has never fully healed and he has been trying to find an acceptable hitting swing compensating for his reduced physical condition, or (2) he has a vision problem causing him to be unable to recognize spinning and break on the baseball.

It's heartbreaking to see his utter collapse because he's extremely likable and by all accounts a great teammate. I wonder what the Reds offense would look like if he was even 75-80% of his 2017-19 years. It would've solved a huge part of our problems facing LH SP throughout the season.

If I'm the Reds I'd trade Suarez in the off-season for whatever salary relief you can get from him. He's owed a little over $30 million over the next 3 years; I'd have to think you could get a team to pick up 1/3-1/2 of that as a low cost rebound opportunity. As I think Moose is still somewhat productive in spots Id keep him of the two as eating chunks of both contracts might be too big to chew in one off-season.
    are we not even considering .. (3) was on the juice and is now off?

i have no idea, but i would not dismiss that as a possibility.

I would think the shoulder has something to do with it. Most of us remember Austin Kearns and how he was never the same again after he hurt his shoulder. Scott Rolen too. The surgery may have been a success and he may not feel any pain but if you've ever had a body part operated on, you know that it's never going to be as good as it was before the injury. The rotator cuff consists of 4 muscles. If you're thinking of trading him, I would think Colorado may have interest. He could probably hit 30 HRs there by accident. He's pretty good defensively at 3rd. His contract is nowhere near as much as they would have had to pay Arenado. Although I'm not sure what COL has to offer that the Reds need. Plus if you trade him, you're going to have to rely on Moose at 3rd. You may not be any better off than you were with Geno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

If you are able to trade Suarez it does not have to be mouse at 3B. We have many potential options. You could go with India since that was his original position and do something at 2B. You have Senzel, Moose and Farmer that could do 2B or 3B this assume Barrero at SS. Senzel/Moose could be a nice platoon if healthy.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (09-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    If you are able to trade Suarez it does not have to be mouse at 3B. We have many potential options. You could go with India since that was his original position and do something at 2B. You have Senzel, Moose and Farmer that could do 2B or 3B this assume Barrero at SS. Senzel/Moose could be a nice platoon if healthy.
    Well, where the hell is he going to play then? Why take India off that position that he's done so well at?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

https://theathletic.com/2812116/2021...s-to-playoffs/

Eugenio Suárez, Cincinnati Reds

It’s hard to pick just one thing, but it’s possible that two issues that look like separate problems are actually the same problem. One of the reasons for Suárez’s mid-career breakout was that he could hit both four-seamers and sinkers enough to be in the top quarter of the league against both types of fastballs. He did great work against both types of fastballs from 2017-2019, but in 2020, he lost his mojo against the sinker. In 2021, he’s struggling against both kinds of fastballs.

One thing he told me during his breakout sounds more interesting now, even if it’s a common refrain.
    Admin note: edited the rest of the article since it's behind a paywall

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-27-2021)

Long term questions abound but short term, they're in a pennant race. They cannot afford to put him in the lineup. Anybody this side of Mike Freeman is a better choice

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I would think the shoulder has something to do with it. Most of us remember Austin Kearns and how he was never the same again after he hurt his shoulder. Scott Rolen too. The surgery may have been a success and he may not feel any pain but if you've ever had a body part operated on, you know that it's never going to be as good as it was before the injury. The rotator cuff consists of 4 muscles.
    My theory is that the bum shoulder keeps him from lifting heavy in the gym, so he attempted to trade some strength for speed and agility in the offseason. What doesnÂ’t fit though is why he came back with the same 50HR batting approach. Maybe he can make that adjustment this off-season and salvage something.

I can't believe Suarez is proving Jojo right.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

19. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-27-2021),westofyou (09-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Well, where the hell is he going to play then? Why take India off that position that he's done so well at?
    Because 3B is his natural position. But I have no issue with second base.

My points is the Reds have plenty of options at 3B if you trade Suarez.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Because 3B is his natural position. But I have no issue with second base.

My points is the Reds have plenty of options at 3B if you trade Suarez.
    To have someone take him the Reds will need to do either:

A - Eat a lot of money
    B - Take an equally bad contract
    C - Package talent with him to offset the salary

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-10-2021),Chip R (09-09-2021),cumberlandreds (09-09-2021),GAC (09-28-2021),REDREAD (09-09-2021),Tom Servo (09-09-2021),wlf WV (09-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Long term questions abound but short term, they're in a pennant race. They cannot afford to put him in the lineup. Anybody this side of Mike Freeman is a better choice
    Who is in a pennant race? Not the Reds. They're in a race for a wildcard spot, and probably nobody in the media is expecting them to actually get into the playoffs.

Turn Off Ads?