Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Eugenio Suarez - WT bloody....?

"So Fla Red"

Re: Eugenio Suarez - WT bloody....?

You have to run with Suarez next year after the last month. A couple savvy GABP friendly OF acquisitions and a healthy Suarez + Winker would be more than enough offense next season.

To make the playoffs, the Reds need a few breaks next year and getting Eugenio fully back 100% from the end of '19 shoulder injury and banking he posts at least career average numbers next season is going to be part of the equation.

And not jacking him around with another ill-fated SS experiment

2. Likes:

mth123 (10-04-2021),Revering4Blue (10-04-2021),Ron Madden (10-04-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

BATTING AVERAGE: League average was .244, lowest since 1968.

In 1968 the Detroit Tigers won the WS with a third baseman with a
    .198 BA

Not because they wanted to, because the game had squeezed the bats so much that the game suffered, and how did it effect this years game?

By taking away the main currency of batting average, singles.

The average team hit just 5.1 singles per game, almost identical to last year, but producing the fewest total singles in a season since the inception of the 162-game schedule.

This is the backbone of Suarez's season, a season that saw him hit the second most doubles in a season in his career and second most HRs yet the fewest singles by a large margin

5. Likes:

Banshee (10-04-2021),M2 (10-04-2021),oregonred (10-04-2021),Revering4Blue (10-04-2021),Ron Madden (10-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    BATTING AVERAGE: League average was .244, lowest since 1968.

In 1968 the Detroit Tigers won the WS with a third baseman with a
    .198 BA

Not because they wanted to, because the game had squeezed the bats so much that the game suffered, and how did it effect this years game?

By taking away the main currency of batting average, singles.

The average team hit just 5.1 singles per game, almost identical to last year, but producing the fewest total singles in a season since the inception of the 162-game schedule.

This is the backbone of Suarez's season, a season that saw him hit the second most doubles in a season in his career and second most HRs yet the fewest singles by a large margin
    Gotta love the ebs and flows of the game. They hit .235 as a team that year (1968, 53 years ago) and yet had the best offense in the AL. For reference, the Reds hit .249.

And some self-proclaimed old-school guys are proclaiming the end of baseball because of low batting averages. They see it as a symptom of modern social-ills and attitudes. And yet it hasn't been the first time that history has seen this.

I get it, the game could be more compelling with more athleticism, more action on balls put in play, etc. So I am not against adjustments that would encourage that style of game. But man, it's not going to take away my enjoyment of the game, and it's not just "kids these days" or whatever. Heck, who knows what the game will look like in 5-10 years. The changes and eras are one of the appeals of the game to me, even if I don't like every detail of those changes.

7. Likes:

M2 (10-04-2021),Revering4Blue (10-04-2021),Ron Madden (10-04-2021),westofyou (10-04-2021),WrongVerb (10-04-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Gotta love the ebs and flows of the game. They hit .235 as a team that year (1968, 53 years ago) and yet had the best offense in the AL. For reference, the Reds hit .249.

And some self-proclaimed old-school guys are proclaiming the end of baseball because of low batting averages. They see it as a symptom of modern social-ills and attitudes. And yet it hasn't been the first time that history has seen this.

I get it, the game could be more compelling with more athleticism, more action on balls put in play, etc. So I am not against adjustments that would encourage that style of game. But man, it's not going to take away my enjoyment of the game, and it's not just "kids these days" or whatever. Heck, who knows what the game will look like in 5-10 years. The changes and eras are one of the appeals of the game to me, even if I don't like every detail of those changes.
    Unfortunately, many wish the game would be exactly like it was in their childhood.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Unfortunately, many wish the game would be exactly like it was in their childhood.
    I need a league with more than a big handful of shortstops with a .591 OPS

10. Likes:

Chip R (10-06-2021),Revering4Blue (10-04-2021),Ron Madden (10-05-2021),WrongVerb (10-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    You have to run with Suarez next year after the last month. A couple savvy GABP friendly OF acquisitions and a healthy Suarez + Winker would be more than enough offense next season.

To make the playoffs, the Reds need a few breaks next year and getting Eugenio fully back 100% from the end of '19 shoulder injury and banking he posts at least career average numbers next season is going to be part of the equation.

And not jacking him around with another ill-fated SS experiment
    I agree - any squinting trying to imagine a playoff appearance next year requires a return of “good” Suarez.

12. Likes:

mth123 (10-04-2021),Patrick Bateman (10-05-2021),Revering4Blue (10-04-2021),Ron Madden (10-05-2021)

I need a league with more than a big handful of shortstops with a .591 OPS
    Me too. But others not so much.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Me too. But others not so much.
    From 1969-1994 there were 235 guys who had a season of 400 PAs and an OPS under .600, since 1994 there have been 77, back in the day that was normal, there were guys who had multiple years of that, Hal Lanier, Ed Brinkman. Since then they tend to be guys on their way out of the game, Scott Brosius, Christian Guzman...

don wert was a slugger

From 1969-1994 there were 235 guys who had a season of 400 PAs and an OPS under .600, since 1994 there have been 77, back in the day that was normal, there were guys who had multiple years of that, Hal Lanier, Ed Brinkman. Since then they tend to be guys on their way out of the game, Scott Brosius, Christian Guzman...
    Oh I'm in agreement with you. Today's players are better and more athletic than past. Sometimes I wonder how 1920s players would stack up vs today's in terms of athleticism.

Oh I'm in agreement with you. Today's players are better and more athletic than past. Sometimes I wonder how 1920s players would stack up vs today's in terms of athleticism.
    It’s also a result of the game losing balls in play. If you have thirty five balls in play in a game (22 non k’s, 13 hits and no HR) then you value the glove more; at certain positions most definitely. But pull those balls in play out of the game and you will want to get results from the player on the other side of the coin and you’ll likely stomach low OPS less and less, you certainly will not see it repeated or the guy will be gone before he gets 400 PAs.

18. Likes:

BRM13 (10-08-2021),M2 (10-04-2021),WrongVerb (10-04-2021)

It’s also a result of the game losing balls in play. If you have thirty five balls in play in a game (22 non k’s, 13 hits and no HR) then you value the glove more; at certain positions most definitely. But pull those balls in play out of the game and you will want to get results from the player on the other side of the coin and you’ll likely stomach low OPS less and less, you certainly will not see it repeated or the guy will be gone before he gets 400 PAs.
    And turf vs. no turf. Play on a lightning fast playing surface and you get a vastly different game.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

JCM11 (10-05-2021),westofyou (10-04-2021),WrongVerb (10-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by gagliano View Post
    You got it, skippy.he only deserves humiliation. Dude got chances no one else ever would. And he blew it. He not only dragged down the team, he never seemed to take it seriously. It's a scandal that someone of his ineptitude should rise to .200. He needs to wear his shame. I'm glad he didnt make it to .200. He lost me when he said he was going to hit 50 HRs. Selfish player. Eeeeyoooheeenio suarez...one of worst players to wear a uniform
    How awful to want to hit 50 HRs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-06-2021),M2 (10-06-2021),Ron Madden (10-06-2021),TRF (10-08-2021)

Geno lost me when he accepted money to play for the Reds. The very nerve of him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

24. Likes:

Chip R (10-06-2021),DocRed (10-06-2021),Ron Madden (10-08-2021)

2rd on the team in HR's RBI and oddly enough BB's. For all the talk of him being this awful hitter, and yes, he had a fairly bad season by his own standards, all he lacked was about 30 singles. He was right there with Votto, Cast, Winker and India in terms walks and extra base hits. He tried to muscle his way out of a prolonged slump.

30 hits ain't nothing. He needs to correct that. but from Aug 1 to the end of the year he hit .269 .366 .600 .966 in 44 games with 153 PA's. Most of that is due to his torrid september, but his power never disappeared this year. His OBP struggles weren't from a lack of walks.

30 hits. September says he can. 2022 will show if he does. I actually think his contract is moveable if the Reds want to go that route. Someone will take the chance that September was a return to form. I do not think they should. 3B isn't the problem. CF and the pen, those are problems.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

26. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-08-2021)

Turn Off Ads?