Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not irrational prediction: we’re going to the playoffs

Re: Not irrational prediction: we’re going to the playoffs

Trying to be objective about it, it's quite an interesting race for the WC slot.

Five teams in it. All except Reds have at least one head-to-head matchup remaining.

Nobody playing really well, excluding the Braves nobody better than 5-5 in last ten games.

Padres, the leader for most of the season, with the roughest schedule remaining.

I fear the Phils who have 10 home games against Cubs, Orioles, Pirates. Their road series are tougher.

Anything can happen, I like the Reds' chances if they hit reasonably well. Their schedule is pretty favorable, the starting pitching is doing well, and Givens is reliable to close out winning games.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-13-2021 at 12:30 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Leo Cardenas will hit a homerun in game 3 of the 1961 World Series in the 9th inning

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Trying to be objective about it, it's quite an interesting race for the WC slot.

Five teams in it. All except Reds have at least one head-to-head matchup.

Nobody playing really well, excluding the Braves nobody better than 5-5 in last ten games.

Padres, the leader for most of the season, with the roughest schedule remaining.

I fear the Phils who have 10 home games against Cubs, Orioles, Pirates. But their road series are tougher.

Anything can happen, I like the Reds' chances if they hit reasonably well. Their schedule is good, the starting pitching is ok, and Givens is reliable to close out games.
    I was going to do a write up but this is pretty much what I was going to say.

And if the Reds make the playin game, you can throw out any regular bullpen rotation. You fire all of your bullets. The question is more, what starter do you see being effective coming in out of the bullpen? Let’s say Miley starts. Does Gray come in next? Mahle? (gulp) Gutierrez? Castillo? (double gulp). Givens and Cessa are the only two guys I’d trust out of the pen.
    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    I think Leo Cardenas will hit a homerun in game 3 of the 1961 World Series in the 9th inning
    I'm not sure the OF of Householder, Walker and Milner can handle the pitching of the 1982 Brewers managed by Harvey Kuenn.

That assumes the Reds can beat out the Cards in the NL. I'm ok with Mario Soto, he's as good as Andujar.

But I don't know if your namesake is playoff ready and he's the #2 starter. Has thrown a lot of innings as has Soto. Hope they have something left in the tank.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-13-2021 at 12:45 PM.

6. Likes:

Bruce Berenyi (09-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    a man after my own heart. cardenas was my favorite player back in the day.
    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.

8. Likes:

Red Raindog (09-13-2021)

the ball hit near the top of the wall and he got only a double

10. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I was going to do a write up but this is pretty much what I was going to say.

And if the Reds make the playin game, you can throw out any regular bullpen rotation. You fire all of your bullets. The question is more, what starter do you see being effective coming in out of the bullpen? Let’s say Miley starts. Does Gray come in next? Mahle? (gulp) Gutierrez? Castillo? (double gulp). Givens and Cessa are the only two guys I’d trust out of the pen.
    Assuming the schedule allows, I would not start Castillo or Vlad in the WC game. My instinct would be Sonny Gray who misses bats and is consistent.

Miley and Mahle would be nice changes of pace for the sixth-seventh innings once Gray departs. Then close it out with a rested Lorenzen or Sims followed by Givens in the ninth.

Let's hope we get to that.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-13-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Assuming the schedule allows, I would not start Castillo or Vlad in the WC game. My instinct would be Sonny Gray who misses bats and is consistent.

Miley and Mahle would be nice changes of pace for the sixth-seventh innings once Gray departs. Then close it out with a rested Lorenzen or Sims followed by Givens in the ninth.

Let's hope we get to that.
    I was thinking this yesterday. Gray looks to be peaking at the right time. Not sure the Reds will have the benefit of lining up pitching matches, but if they can I would go with Sonny.

Mahle on the road for 5 innings would be a good backup option.

13. Likes:

Kc61 (09-13-2021),Tom Servo (09-13-2021)

It's by no means a positive that they have slumped, but looking for one good thing...if they do in fact heat up and take that last spot, at least they will go into the Wild Card Game/Playoffs with some positive momentum on their side.

If you believe in getting the slump out of way...well, they've done that.

The past few weeks have been maddening. They could/should have put this to bed already. Now they're going to have to battle like crazy and we're going to get drama probably right up until the last day of the season. Gonna need to grow our nails quick so we can chew them off. It's the great baseball curse of "may you have an interesting team.'
    Now begins the winter of our discombobulation.

16. Likes:

JFLegal (09-13-2021),Ron Madden (09-13-2021)

I would love to see one of the 4 starters coming out of the bullpen in the 6th or 7th inning. In a WC game.We all know that will not happen. Instead we would get Lorenzen and Sims.

I'm not sure the OF of Householder, Walker and Milner can handle the pitching of the 1982 Brewers managed by Harvey Kuenn.

That assumes the Reds can beat out the Cards in the NL. I'm ok with Mario Soto, he's as good as Andujar.

But I don't know if your namesake is playoff ready and he's the #2 starter. Has thrown a lot of innings as has Soto. Hope they have something left in the tank.
    Not really liking your outfield very much. I would feel better with an OF of Cedeño, Milner, and Biittner.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I'm not optimistic - even if they get into the WC game, the Dodgers will toss a lefty and Bell will respond by letting the Reds K 15 times and using the bullpen early enough to insure a Dodger 2-0 victory.

In my mind, I'm ready to start complaining about letting Cast walk and not finding a team to dump Eugenio on.

I prefer outfield of joel youngblook stanswanson and clyde mashore

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I'm not optimistic - even if they get into the WC game, the Dodgers will toss a lefty and Bell will respond by letting the Reds K 15 times and using the bullpen early enough to insure a Dodger 2-0 victory.

In my mind, I'm ready to start complaining about letting Cast walk and not finding a team to dump Eugenio on.
    That doesn't matter at all to me, at least in the here and now. I've got three weeks of baseball to thrill and/or mortify me. I keep the playoffs pretty compartmentalized from the season. If the Reds make the postseason, then that's a good six-month ride no matter what happens afterward.
    Now begins the winter of our discombobulation.

22. Likes:

Mitri (09-14-2021),Ron Madden (09-13-2021),Roy Tucker (09-13-2021)

Turn Off Ads?