Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What Will Next Year Look Like?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: What Will Next Year Look Like?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Could end up the classic mistake of paying an older player for what he has done, not what he will do. (See Mike Moustakas)
    It's just a one-year option.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    They’re not even remotely comparable. Giving a player 4 years 60+ million coming off a 2 bWar season to a 1 year 10 million deal for a guy coming off a 6 bWar season.

The Reds decline that option and they instantly become the cheapest sorriest organization in professional baseball.
    What about picking up his option and then trading him? No idea what he would bring back in return. I am guessing nothing more than a solid reliever. No way Miley repeats what he did this year and 10 mil for him will not turn out to be a good deal. I agree though they have to pick up his option.

4. Likes:

757690 (09-24-2021)

60 inning a year middle relievers are making 5M per via free agency.

10m - it’s actually 9m more given the buyout - is an easy gamble and easily pays off if he’s even a third as good next year as he was this season.

Without the rotation this was a 100 loss team.

6. Likes:

KeefeCato (09-24-2021),REDREAD (09-24-2021)

If the Reds have to trade a starter, picking up Miley’s option and trading him makes the most sense. He would make the same as Gray, and I would rather keep Gray for 2022.
    Last edited by 757690; 09-24-2021 at 01:02 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

KeefeCato (09-24-2021)

You just said he’s not going to bring back a controlled Ofer, SS, Closer…so then why trade him?

You just said he’s not going to bring back a controlled Ofer, SS, Closer…so then why trade him?
    Are you referring to me?

If Gray brings back significantly more than Miley, then trade Gray. My guess is they will have similar trade value.

Why trade either of them? Iyo is that the only way Castellini can improve this club this winter?

12. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2021)

Why trade either of them? Iyo is that the only way Castellini can improve this club this winter?
    I started with “if the Reds have to trade a pitcher.” Kc61 suggested that they will need to. I am open to all options.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by LARKIN View Post
    After two magical years, the team reverts back to their usual mid 70s win totals. Playing 500 ball for 2 years was worth sending out some of our better prospects though I will admit that.
    Magical? They went 31-29 last year and are hanging on by a thread to get to 82 wins this season. It's been better than the mostly AAAA product (outside 1999, 2010-2013) that's been paraded out since 1995. I will admit that.

Pickup Miley's option. Mahle/Castilo/Gray/Miley

Do not overpay for Cast. The one moneyball move for GABP is always to find cheaper OF veteran replacements that can play pinball at home.

15. Likes:

Chip R (09-24-2021),REDREAD (09-24-2021),Revering4Blue (09-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Hunter Greene didn't throw a pitch in anger for over a year. Of course part of that was due to the pandemic but they really babied him. This is Tejay's 2nd TJ (see what I did there? ) surgery and I can't see the Reds bringing him back any earlier than 2023.
    yea, I said that somewhat in jest, referencing how Homer was "so far ahead of schedule " after his TJ, brought back early and stunk.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

60 inning a year middle relievers are making 5M per via free agency.

10m - it’s actually 9m more given the buyout - is an easy gamble and easily pays off if he’s even a third as good next year as he was this season.

Without the rotation this was a 100 loss team.
    Yes, if the Reds have any hope of being good next season, they need to bring Miley back.
    Vlad is already a weak spot in the rotation. The kids probably aren't ready.
    Not much depth after Hoffman also. I'll take my chances with Miley over Hoffman.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, if the Reds have any hope of being good next season, they need to bring Miley back.
    Not much depth after Hoffman also. I'll take my chances with Miley over Hoffman.
    They are in a tough spot really. I think the only way they replace Castellanos is by trading a pitcher. Because I don't see them adding much if any payroll through free agency. There is no use for them to sign a scrub free agent OFer for 1-2 Million a year. That wouldn't be any help unless they just got super lucky with the player.
    I suppose they could just pickup a cheap platoon RH hitting bat to pair with Naquin. Keep the top 4 starters and go with Farmer at SS and give CF job to Barrero.
    Let Barnhart, Lorenzen, Garrett and Castellano go. Resign Givens and sign another good reliever. I doubt that adds any payroll probably subtracts some.
    I hope to be 100% wrong. But I just have a feeling that Miley will be awful next year. Nothing to base it on just a feeling. Well his age mostly is what I am thinking and he is not as good as he has been through August.
    It blew my mind that so many picked him in the thread, I made on who should start a WC game had they made it.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 09-24-2021 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I like Miley in the rotation. Besides being a lefty, he gives hitters a different look. Everyone else is trying to throw 95 and strike everyone out. Miley gets up there and is barely breaking 90 but is painting the corners and not walking people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'm hoping for Less COVID-y.

Past that... Better pen, an actual CF, and address the 3B & RF situations. I don't think the Reds will be able to trade Geno, Cast may or may not opt out. If he does, that's a problem.

I think a deal to move Senzel is a no brainer. he needs a change of scenery and still has some top prospect rub on him. I kinda hope Moose opts out, but i doubt he does. no market for him.

I'm not sure the FA market is ripe for the Reds this off season in terms of position players. I mean there is a TON of talent, but not where the Reds shop. The exception might be Conforto. Coming off a down year, with something to prove. Has had very successful seasons. He'd be on my radar.

I'd love it if the Reds made a splash for one of the uber talented SS's, and transition Barrero to CF full time. Do that, finalize RF and get a bullpen. That would be interesting.

But, despite the likely elimination from this year's playoffs, I had fun watching the Reds again.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If the Reds have to trade a starter, picking up Miley’s option and trading him makes the most sense. He would make the same as Gray, and I would rather keep Gray for 2022.

Yes, I would much rather keep Sonny than Miley.

22. Likes:

elrojo (09-24-2021)

Turn Off Ads?