Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: What Will Next Year Look Like?

Re: What Will Next Year Look Like?

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Disagree, This team has a bright future. Few teams have as good of a young rookie core as India, Stephenson, Barrera, Greene, Lodolo. Will here be growing pains with the pitchers? Probably. But that is a really nice core. Mahle a top 30 pitcher cheap under contract for a while yet.
    A few moves and this team can compete again next year and beyond. They don't even have to add much if any pay role. Get a CF Get 2-3 relievers and get a couple RH hitting bench bats who have a track record of being platooned and hitting LHP.
    This.
    I don't know that I would go all the way over to "bright future," but I feel a lot better about this team exiting the year than I did starting it and that's including the fact that I expect them to tailspin out of contention.
    They expected right handed production from the punisher, Senzel and Suarez and that just hasn't worked out, but yes, they need to look for right handed hitting that can mash against lefities to spell Winker and Votto and replace Castellanos.
    They need to build a bullpen.
    There is work to be done, but they have some nice pieces and you can see the outline of a team forming. It's odd to think that the reds are top heavy with starting rotation candidates, but they are.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Likes:

NebraskaRed (09-15-2021),REDREAD (09-15-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

One thing I'd say for next year is that I think Naquin has shown he can be a cost effective strong side of a platoon, he's hit .283/.339/.514 against RHP this year. You need someone who can hit at a similar clip against LHP though to compliment him on the short side, and that sure ain't Aquino.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-30-2021),HokieRed (09-16-2021),REDREAD (09-18-2021),Revering4Blue (09-16-2021),Ron Madden (09-16-2021),Roy Tucker (09-22-2021)

I def want Aquino off the team. He’s a human tease. Shows you enough to get you thinking but never puts out.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (09-22-2021),REDREAD (09-18-2021),Ron Madden (09-16-2021),Tom Servo (09-16-2021),westofyou (09-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I def want Aquino off the team. He’s a human tease. Shows you enough to get you thinking but never puts out.
    He's done, Shogo done time to go boys

9. Likes:

Mitri (09-16-2021),REDREAD (09-18-2021),RedTeamGo! (09-16-2021),Ron Madden (09-16-2021),Tom Servo (09-16-2021)

I hope we have a full season in 2022, I get nervous whenever the CBA ends.

11. Likes:

757690 (09-16-2021),cumberlandreds (09-16-2021)

I’d say the young players are in no way any indication of a bright future. It’s only bright if the front office spends enough on the supporting cast. That’s where the real work happens.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (09-18-2021)

I'd say last year will look a lot like this year.

- Minus our best player,
    - with all of our veterans a year older,
    - all the deadweight guys stumbling backwards through their inflated contracts
    - and the flash in the pan guys we're stuck with, regressing to the backs of their baseball cards.

So that should be fun. And who knows? Maybe they'll give Thom his old job back, just to really drive home that magic feeling there.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

15. Likes:

REDREAD (09-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

- Minus our best player,
    - and the flash in the pan guys we're stuck with, regressing to the backs of their baseball cards.

So that should be fun. And who knows? Maybe they'll give Thom his old job back, just to really drive home that magic feeling there.
    Their best player is Jonathan India, pretty sure he'll be on the team.

As FCB has stated, a lot depends on how much payroll will be allocated. At this point I'd be thrilled if they hold steady at where they're at this season. My gut tells me that Cast will walk, Barnhart will get his buyout and they'll trade Sonny Gray to further reduce salary to something around $120MM.

Something closer to $140MM would make things really interesting. It would allow them to keep most of their pitching (all 5 starters, resign Givens, let Lorenzen walk) and focus more on upgrades in the outfield (they'll need 2 legit upgrades), back of bullpen (at least one big sign in addition to Givens) and the bench. I'd also love to see them pick up Tucker's option (and obviously Miley's, too). Cut Shogo and trade AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    One thing I'd say for next year is that I think Naquin has shown he can be a cost effective strong side of a platoon, he's hit .283/.339/.514 against RHP this year. You need someone who can hit at a similar clip against LHP though to compliment him on the short side, and that sure ain't Aquino.
    My guess is it will be Aquino. He has a .792 career OPS against LHP, .757 this year. Not great, but decent enough for the short side of a platoon, especially when he’ll be getting near league minimum.

The Reds love platoon splits and love cheap contracts even more.

For the record, I am not endorsing this, just predicting it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

18. Likes:

mth123 (09-17-2021),REDREAD (09-18-2021),Revering4Blue (09-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

- Minus our best player,

Who is currently flashing in a pan?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My guess is it will be Aquino. He has a .792 career OPS against LHP, .757 this year. Not great, but decent enough for the short side of a platoon, especially when he’ll be getting near league minimum.

The Reds love platoon splits and love cheap contracts even more.

For the record, I am not endorsing this, just predicting it.
    That’s not good enough for the right side of a platoon

What next year looks like depends on if Krall is in charge or not.

If he is in charge? Whole lotta nothing positive.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (09-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

That’s not good enough for the right side of a platoon
    Probably not, but my guess is the Reds will think it is, considering the price. Remember what they thought was good enough for SS and the bullpen this season.

Probably not, but my guess is the Reds will think it is, considering the price. Remember what they thought was good enough for SS and the bullpen this season.
    After the season he had, Aquino will be gone. Reds will try a different RHH platoon outfielder. They may not want to spend much, the payroll will undoubtedly be limited, but they’ll want to make changes in some areas.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-17-2021 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    After the season he had, Aquino will be gone. Reds will try a different RHH platoon outfielder. They may not want to spend much, the payroll will undoubtedly be limited, but they’ll want to make changes in some areas.
    When was the last time the Reds jettisoned a player pre arbitration?

When was the last time the Reds jettisoned a player pre arbitration?
    They cut or trade cheap players, including pre-arb players, all the time. Mike Freeman, Sal Romano, Cody Reed, Marc Payton, Scott Heinemann come to mind. Matt Davidson from last year’s team. Several recent reliever DFA’s.

Aquino is out of options. Reds gave him his MLB shot, now I expect he’ll be gone before next opening day, I’m guessing much sooner.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-17-2021 at 01:20 AM.

Turn Off Ads?