Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What Will Next Year Look Like?

Re: What Will Next Year Look Like?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I hope they don't forget what has made them competitive over the past couple seasons: a rotation much more consistent than has been the historical norm in Cincinnati. With that in mind, I would be very reluctant to trade any of Castillo, Gray, or Mahle. The first tough call, then, is Miley, and it does not seem wise to me to pay 10 million bucks to a 35 year old, even as good as he has been most of this year. I also think Gutierrez is probably going to be much more useful out of the pen, though maybe he has just run up against an innings wall this year. So I start with three starters and an "if" in Gutierrez and with Lodolo and Greene, of course, somewhere in the future. So here's a question. I don't know that it's wise to pay $5 million or upward to Lorenzen to work out of the pen but maybe you pay him and tell him he'll be given a serious shot at working in the rotation. He might start the season as the #4 starter with Gutierrez or Hoffman or O'Brien at number 5 and Lodolo and Greene in line to be brought up when ready. If Lorenzen handles the starting spot well and Lodolo and Greene claim spots, his success enables you to move one of the other starters. And this allows for Gutierrez to be moved to the pen, strengthening the pen. I think the OP's question is a complex one; this is as far as I've got so far.
    Agreed....it's the Reds best bet to field 5 good to solid starting pitchers each night is when we're at our best. (Cueto, Arroyo, Bailey, Latos and Leake).

For 2022...
    - Castillo, Mahle are solid and fine
    - Can Gray start 30 games going forward? If so, he's solid as they come
    - Wade Miley....going forward is he more like the guy that last 2 months where he's been rocked or like the full year that has been solid
    - Guiterriez...he was solid as heck until the last month...and he's been pretty bad. Which one is he for 2022?

I think it's reasonable to give one of those 5 starting spots to Lodolo/Greene (whomever earns it in spring training) and maybe you trade a Sonny Gray for shoring up CF/RF situation. Or you can use $$$ from not keeping Wade Miley to do the same in RF/CF. Guiterriez is hardest call to make as the league could be adjusting to him and does that make him not a good starter going forward (or he could just need experience to solidify himself). But in any scenario, if the Reds ponder trading Castillo or Mahle....there is zero chance a playoff run and you might as well burn down the rest of the roster if that that is you're route.

2. Likes:

elrojo (09-24-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

All I'm going to say is that this front office better have one helluva productive off-season (compared to the last one) if they want to improve on this current team. Waaay too many holes or issues in key positions. Losing Castellanos alone is gonna weaken this offense. We can't keep Winker or Senzel in the lineup (health). Votto, the team MVP IMO, gets another year older.

The holes and weaknesses that cost this '21 team, that they had from the very onset of the season, are the fault of this front office. Whether this team finishes .500 or not will still be seen, by this management, as a positive sign they're heading in the right direction. But that can turn on you very quickly if you don't make the right decisions to build on any momentum.

And that's where I don't trust this front office. They lose more talent then they acquire.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2021),Revering4Blue (09-24-2021)

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Short answer: SSDD
    Hope isn't a strategy

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Given the Reds' history, I think it's 50-50 that Antone is "Well ahead of schedule" and pitches in the second half of next season.
    It won't be pretty, but they may try it anyhow.
    Hunter Greene didn't throw a pitch in anger for over a year. Of course part of that was due to the pandemic but they really babied him. This is Tejay's 2nd TJ (see what I did there? ) surgery and I can't see the Reds bringing him back any earlier than 2023.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

HokieRed (09-23-2021),REDREAD (09-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Hunter Greene didn't throw a pitch in anger for over a year. Of course part of that was due to the pandemic but they really babied him. This is Tejay's 2nd TJ (see what I did there? ) surgery and I can't see the Reds bringing him back any earlier than 2023.
    A llt olf ;people are penciling Greene into next year's rotation. They shut him down after 106 innings this year. Is he gonna be able to up his innings count enough next season to warrant a full-time MLB rotation slot?

10. Likes:

GAC (09-26-2021),mth123 (09-24-2021),REDREAD (09-24-2021),Revering4Blue (09-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    A llt olf ;people are penciling Greene into next year's rotation. They shut him down after 106 innings this year. Is he gonna be able to up his innings count enough next season to warrant a full-time MLB rotation slot?
    IMO, no. He's not ready.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2021),Revering4Blue (09-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'm hoping he can help in the second half. 140 innings total. But IMHO the team has too many holes to spend $10 million on a 35 year old Miley.

14. Likes:

elrojo (09-24-2021)

I would pick up the option on Miley. If Gray can bring in a young first division starting OF, I’d explore that trade. Otherwise I’d bring him back along with Castillo, Mahle, and let Gutierrez start the year as the 5th starter.

If/when Gutierrez falters, I’d bring Greene or Lodolo up to take his place, especially if after the 6 week Super 2 deadline. I’d also give Greene or Lodolo the spot Opening Day if they overwhelmingly earn it in ST. But it would have to be overwhelming, as Gutierrez has earned the benefit of another long look and neither Greene nor Lodolo beat down the door this year.
    Go BLUE!!!

16. Likes:

REDREAD (09-24-2021)

IMO the Reds will need to trade a starting pitcher this off-season. They will need to make trades, and there aren’t that many good alternatives.

Trading Suarez or Moose now will COST you value, probably prospects and lots of cash.

Trading good prospects for veterans will only bloat the payroll and add more age to the organization.

Their veteran position players under contract won’t bring much or are FAs (Cast) or untradeable (Votto). They could exercise and move Barnhart but the return wouldn’t move the needle.

One exception is Winker, who probably brings a good haul. But if Cast is gone, do Reds really want to trade their best, controllable hitting talent (Votto aside)?

The Reds have depth in starting pitching with two young studs knocking on the door. Gray and Miley are perfect trade candidates, both still have good numbers, but durability questionable. Fill the hole with Greene, or Lodolo, or maybe Santillan initially. Or even a cheap stopgap for a month or two.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-24-2021 at 09:06 AM.

No doubt, Miley’s option is getting picked up and it should.

19. Likes:

mth123 (09-24-2021),REDREAD (09-24-2021)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    As long as they plan ahead to pull him from the rotation in September.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

No way can they afford to trade Winker if Cast leaves
    Go BLUE!!!

22. Likes:

Chip R (09-24-2021)

I'd like to see them commit to some of the younger players. Guys like Barrero and Friedl. MAybe Lodolo and Greene in relief roles.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Could end up the classic mistake of paying an older player for what he has done, not what he will do. (See Mike Moustakas)

25. Likes:

Chip R (09-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Could end up the classic mistake of paying an older player for what he has done, not what he will do. (See Mike Moustakas)
    They’re not even remotely comparable. Giving a player 4 years 60+ million coming off a 2 bWar season to a 1 year 10 million deal for a guy coming off a 6 bWar season.

The Reds decline that option and they instantly become the cheapest sorriest organization in professional baseball.

27. Likes:

Mitri (09-24-2021),REDREAD (09-24-2021),Tom Servo (09-24-2021)

Turn Off Ads?