Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What Will Next Year Look Like?

Re: What Will Next Year Look Like?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    A big gaping hole in RF
    Well, along with a hole in CF and 3B and there is that bullpen. Plenty to do during the off season. but India, Stephenson, Barrero are all pre-arbitration. Winker will be around as will Votto. Even if MIlley goes, they've got a rotation .....I expect I will feel a lot better about them going into next year than I did about them coming into this year.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think we have to add a FA OF bat if/when Cast walks. Chris Taylor would be a good target IMO.

Haunted by walks

Senzel was a third baseman in the minors, so that should be less of a question than the other positions he’s played. The question is not how many but how much he plays.

It would be cool to have an infield of Senzel, Barrero, India and old man Votto.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

So you're not touching the rotation at all? I could see the Reds moving one of Mahle (due to his home/road splits) or Gray (due to his salary), and getting a quality package back. Keep Miley, of course. And let Gutierrez do his smoke and mirrors thing until he can't get away with that anymore. Behind them you've got Lodolo, Greene, Ashcraft, and some holdovers.

I do think that a bench of Naquin, Aquino, Farmer, Schrock, and Barnhart would be a real asset.

Suarez is a Red for life now. But Moose could probably be moved for something.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

REDREAD (09-14-2021)

What do you do with Lorenzen? The Reds can give him a qualifying offer of around $19M and if he rejects it, they can get an extra draft pick. But he could accept it and they would be on the hook for 1 year at that price. Or they could just not give him a qualifying offer at all. Although Givens is a free agent, he was traded mid-season so the Reds don't have to make a qualifying offer to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Senzel should be hooked up to monitors for science. He is the most brittle human being on the planet, it’s absolutely shocking how he got this far in athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by LARKIN View Post
    Senzel should be hooked up to monitors for science. He is the most brittle human being on the planet, it’s absolutely shocking how he got this far in athletics.
    Winker is in the same boat, he always misses about 2 months out of every season. Senzel is a lost cause and no one should depend on him. Farmer is a feel good story but not a clutch hitter. Berrero is a minor league hitter. Naquin is at his peak on the way down. Votto is the same. I don't hold much hope for next year.

Votto back??
    Back to April when everyone wanted to bench him.

AB R H HR RBI BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG
    Last 7 Games 22 3 3 2 2 3 6 0 .136 .240 .455
    Last 15 Games 45 9 8 2 5 9 15 0 .178 .321 .400
    Last 30 Games 97 17 22 7 19 20 36 0 .227 .358 .495
    Last edited by jimbroznan; 09-14-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What do you do with Lorenzen? The Reds can give him a qualifying offer of around $19M and if he rejects it, they can get an extra draft pick. But he could accept it and they would be on the hook for 1 year at that price. Or they could just not give him a qualifying offer at all. Although Givens is a free agent, he was traded mid-season so the Reds don't have to make a qualifying offer to him.
    He would definitely accept it. I think they’ll let Lorenzen walk.

12. Likes:

Chip R (09-14-2021),REDREAD (09-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyVet View Post
    Winker is in the same boat, he always misses about 2 months out of every season. Senzel is a lost cause and no one should depend on him. Farmer is a feel good story but not a clutch hitter. Berrero is a minor league hitter. Naquin is at his peak on the way down. Votto is the same. I don't hold much hope for next year.
    Because 23 year old minor leaguers with 87 MLB AB's have their story already written.
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

14. Likes:

Chip R (09-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbroznan View Post
    Vote back??
    Back to April when everyone wanted to bench him.

AB R H HR RBI BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG
    Last 7 Games 22 3 3 2 2 3 6 0 .136 .240 .455
    Last 15 Games 45 9 8 2 5 9 15 0 .178 .321 .400
    Last 30 Games 97 17 22 7 19 20 36 0 .227 .358 .495
    Which is why I have said since day 1 this season. Votto should sit once a week. Had they did that I think he would be finishing strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I think there are crazy if they don't let Lorenzen walk. When he is healthy he is average at best. Would much rather sign Givens.

Reds are stuck with the aging Moose and Votto - and those are big $ and might force their hand on other fronts. Given the bullpen challenges, I'd try and keep Lorenzen. Starting pitching is in decent shape hold what you've got.

Yes to Stephenson as C1. Should be able to cobble together an effective bench led by Framer. Install Barreo at SS. Bigger questions are what to do about Suarez and Senzel. The biggest question is Castellanos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Oh, he'd definitely accept it. But they were in the same boat with Disco last year and no one really cared at the time but they got raked over the coals this year when he rebounded after the Giants signed him but they are paying him $6M.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

They have to trade from a strength Starting pitching.Mahle or Gray or Castillo. To fill a hole either CF or trade for two stud relievers and be sure at least one is LH.
    You could get two very good relievers for any of those three pitchers.
    Then use Castellanos money to sign a legit CFer.
    Let Barnhart and Lorenzen walk.
    Dump Shogo. Sell Aquino to Japan where he would hit 60 over there.
    C Stephenson
    1b votto/sign a RH hitter to platoon with/rest him once a week.
    2b. India
    SS. Barrero ready or not he is my SS
    3b. Suarez have to hope he bounces back. Helps offset power loss of Nick.
    LF Winker
    Cf new guy
    RF Naquin/Senzel
    DH Moose/Suarez. Farmer plays 3b vs LHP. Suarez moves to DH
    Bench Vet backup Catcher.
    Farmer
    Schrock
    Senzel
    RH hitting IF to platoon with Votto.
    GRAY/Castillo/Mahle 2 stays one is traded.
    Miley
    Vlad/Greene
    Santillan/Hoffman/Lodolo
    If they feel one or both kids are ready out of spring.
    Vlad goes to AAA. Santillan to the pen.
    Offense would be weakened somewhat. But if Barrero does what he is capable off and Suarez bounces back to a league average hitter with power and they get a good all around player to fill CF than the Offense would not feel Nick's loss. And the pen would be much improved.

Pen.
    2 new guys one is your stud closer 1. Is a proven LH reliever
    3. Resign Givens
    4. Cessa
    5. Warren
    6. Sims
    7. Santillan
    8. Moreta

20. Likes:

REDREAD (09-14-2021)

Turn Off Ads?