Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2021 a lot like 1999?

Re: 2021 a lot like 1999?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    vaughn had 45 home runs and 118 RBIs in '99.
    In a league that averaged five runs scored a game. Methinks you should read Bill James essay on Willie Davis in his Historical Abstract

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I remember that game 162 in Milwaukee in a rain delay for like 6 hours. And played in a quagmire.

And the play-in game the next day against the Mets with Al Leiter. I went to that game with my son at Riverfront. That was the last time I heard that stadium roar like the BRM days. Lasted for two batters till Edgardo Alphonso hit a 2 run homer. And then Leiter pitched the game of his life. Why do I remember the killer losses better than the great wins?
    Just remember...

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

4. Likes:

M2 (09-17-2021)

I have a lot of Red Sox friends and they *always* refer to Dent with a colorful middle name. Always.

And our Leiter dislike doesn’t come close to what Sox fans think about Dent.
    Ever since '99, Al Leiter's middle name has been the the same as Bucky's, in my mind.
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Ever since '99, Al Leiter's middle name has been the the same as Bucky's, in my mind.
    My take on that '99 game is we all knew Al Leiter was good heading into it. The damn shame of it is the Reds started Steve Parris against him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Chip R (09-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My take on that '99 game is we all knew Al Leiter was good heading into it. The damn shame of it is the Reds started Steve Parris against him.
    Not sure it would've mattered if Tom Seaver in his prime had pitched. The Reds only managed two hits off Al [redacted] Leiter.
    -Air Supply

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-17-2021)

The problem was that Harnisch was the Reds’ best starter and he pitched on that Sunday against the Brewers. Neagle and Guzman had pitched the previous games so they were essentially out. And Parris was probably their best starter after Harnisch and Guzman. Other starters were Villone, Avery, and Tomko. And OMG would I have like the see the RZ wars over Brett Tomko. The frothing at the mouth would have been epic.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The problem was that Harnisch was the Reds’ best starter and he pitched on that Sunday against the Brewers. Neagle and Guzman had pitched the previous games do they were essentially out. And Parris was probably their best starter after Harnisch and Guzman. Other starters were Villone, Avery, and Tomko. And OMG would I have like the see the RZ wars over Brett Tomko.
    They were not pretty, Tomko had a manner of seeming to not care on the surface and that was a lightning rod for sure. I can never forgive Tomko for this performance at Candlestick when I kicked down big bucks to sit close behind HP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99806030.shtml

Gave up seven runs and six in the fifth, the Reds scored five the next inning but it was over. I sat three rows behind Dick Vitale and all game idiots would see him and shout out, "This is awesome, baby!"

Ugh

12. Likes:

Chip R (09-17-2021),wlf WV (09-17-2021)

The problem was that Harnisch was the Reds’ best starter and he pitched on that Sunday against the Brewers. Neagle and Guzman had pitched the previous games so they were essentially out. And Parris was probably their best starter after Harnisch and Guzman. Other starters were Villone, Avery, and Tomko. And OMG would I have like the see the RZ wars over Brett Tomko. The frothing at the mouth would have been epic.
    Oh, I remember it well. The Reds got short-strawed. I wanted Villone to get that start because the Mets were more vulnerable against southpaws.

One thing that gets forgotten by Reds fans is in the penultimate week of the season the Mets dropped seven straight games and needed a late rally just to force that playoff game. Had the Reds not immediately gotten in the hole (literally down two runs after the 2nd batter of the game), it would have been interesting to see how the Mets and Reds responded in a tight game.

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-17-2021)

Oh, I remember it well. The Reds got short-strawed. I wanted Villone to get that start because the Mets were more vulnerable against southpaws.

One thing that gets forgotten by Reds fans is in the penultimate week of the season the Mets dropped seven straight games and needed a late rally just to force that playoff game. Had the Reds not immediately gotten in the hole (literally down two runs after the 2nd batter of the game), it would have been interesting to see how the Mets and Reds responded in a tight game.
    Ron Villone was high risk, high reward. At times, he couldn't find home plate with a road atlas. But when he was on, he was darn near unhittable. I went to six games in 1999, and Villone started three of them (vs. the Mets, Diamondbacks, and Cardinals). In those three games, Villone pitched 21 innings and allowed 3 hits.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

17. Likes:

M2 (09-17-2021),Revering4Blue (09-17-2021),Ron Madden (09-17-2021),Roy Tucker (09-17-2021),westofyou (09-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Ron Villone was high risk, high reward. At times, he couldn't find home plate with a road atlas. But when he was on, he was darn near unhittable. I went to six games in 1999, and Villone started three of them (vs. the Mets, Diamondbacks, and Cardinals). In those three games, Villone pitched 21 innings and allowed 3 hits.
    Yep, and that's why I wanted him for the playoff game. He also was the right kind of flighty to handle a pressure situation. I'm pretty sure what he was thinking about out on the mound was something like a J. Mascis guitar solo or using jalapeno gummi bears as a pizza topping.
    Last edited by M2; 09-17-2021 at 07:24 PM.

19. Likes:

RichRed (09-17-2021),Roy Tucker (09-17-2021),westofyou (09-17-2021)

Yep, and that's why I wanted him for the playoff game. He also was the right kind of flighty to handle a pressure situation. I'm pretty what we was thinking about out on the mound was something like a J. Mascis guitar solo or using jalapeno gummi bears as a pizza topping.
    He was definitely a lefthander.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

21. Likes:

Roy Tucker (09-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    He was definitely a lefthander.
    I was surprised Villone pitched for 9 more years after being with the Reds. And pitched for a total of 12 teams.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

23. Likes:

Big Klu (09-17-2021)

Turn Off Ads?