Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 a lot like 1999?

Re: 2021 a lot like 1999?

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I got crap for a factual statement attacking our ownership and FO that nearly every competing team in both leagues did more to improve at the deadline than the Reds...

I assume everyone is still happy with the half measures this team took to try and make a playoff run?

Imagine defending Castellini and the FO, Jesus
    Shouldn’t the small minority who called for selling be the ones taking the victory lap?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Reds have never replaced Mike Cameron. I suppose Jr.'s first year (before his knees went), but he was a corner OF playing CF for most of his time with the Reds. Cameron could have held down CF for a decade.
    That up the middle defense of Larkin and Reese manning SS and 2B and Cameron patrolling CF was epic.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

4. Likes:

Chip R (09-17-2021),M2 (09-16-2021),Revering4Blue (09-16-2021),Ron Madden (09-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    Definitely, one of my first memories is watching the Reds win the 1990 WS with my dad. Great memory, but I don't remember anymore of the season. 1999 was by far my favorite team. It was an awesome year. I loved every minute but I was heartbroken as a 16yr old kid after the loss to the Mets.
    Al Leiter. I'll never forget that name ugh.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    I remember it was a big thing that year for fans to run on the field. They hadn’t put into place laws about it yet. When the game was obviously lost, idiots were running on that field like crazy.

The other thing I remember was when Alphonzo hit his first inning homer, Riverfront went nearly silent. We had seats right behind the Reds’ dugout and the only sound you could hear the Mets whooping it up in their dugout. That HR completely sucked the energy out of the stadium. The Reds could never get a damn thing going against Leiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I remember it was a big thing that year for fans to run on the field. They hadn’t put into place laws about it yet. When the game was obviously lost, idiots were running on that field like crazy.

The other thing I remember was when Alphonzo hit his first inning homer, Riverfront went nearly silent. We had seats right behind the Reds’ dugout and the only sound you could hear the Mets whooping it up in their dugout. That HR completely sucked the energy out of the stadium. The Reds could never get a damn thing going against Leiter.
    Big LH with junk and location

Reds kryptonite for at least twenty five years

8. Likes:

Chip R (09-17-2021),Hoosier Red (09-17-2021),wlf WV (09-17-2021)

Castellanos is easily the better all-around hitter. Vaughn's only got the edge due to his defense, which is mostly the result of Mike Cameron covering his flank. Can't say enough glowing things about Cameron's impact on that team.
    vaughn had 45 home runs and 118 RBIs in '99.

also, vaughn single-handedly ended the reds' ban on facial hair.

they should pretty much retire his No. 23. (no offense to my man hal morris.)

Just for perspective…

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/ori...042435743.html

The official date of [2018] Baltimore’s elimination, Aug. 10, is notable, too. It tied the 1932 Red Sox and 1962 New York Mets for the earliest date a team has been eliminated from a division or league race. In that scenario, we’re going back through the entire history of MLB.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 09-16-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    He became the equivalent of Bucky Dent to the Red Sox nation. Just lasted for 9 innings not 1 HR

Look up 1978 for our younger posters…

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    He became the equivalent of Bucky Dent to the Red Sox nation. Just lasted for 9 innings not 1 HR

I was stretching for a soccer game in Terrace Park when someone showed up and told us about that. I can still see the whole thing in my head, except who told me.

I have a lot of Red Sox friends and they *always* refer to Dent with a colorful middle name. Always.

And our Leiter dislike doesn’t come close to what Sox fans think about Dent.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-17-2021),Revering4Blue (09-17-2021),SomeCallMeTim (09-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    vaughn had 45 home runs and 118 RBIs in '99.
    He had a .245/.347/.535 line for a 117 OPS+. Heading into to today Castellanos was .313/.367/.574 for a 136 OPS+. The rough estimate is Castellanos is 19% better at the dish. He's having an outrageous season.
    Last edited by M2; 09-17-2021 at 12:35 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post

Everyone knows who Bucky Dent is. ESPN used to show that clip every time the Red Sox and Yankees played from like 1995 to 2015
    What would you say.....ya do here?

The Reds have never replaced Mike Cameron. I suppose Jr.'s first year (before his knees went), but he was a corner OF playing CF for most of his time with the Reds. Cameron could have held down CF for a decade.
    When they traded for Junior the first thing I said was they should have sent Pokey to Seattle instead of Cameron. And I loved Pokey.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    When they traded for Junior the first thing I said was they should have sent Pokey to Seattle instead of Cameron. And I loved Pokey.
    Then what would David Bell do?

Turn Off Ads?