2. Yoshi Tsutsugo (L) RF
    3. Bryan Reynolds (S) CF
    4. Colin Moran (L) 1B
    5. Ben Gamel (L) LF
    6. Kevin Newman (R) 2B
    7. Michael Perez (L) C
    8. Hoy Park (L) 3B
    9. Dillon Peters (L) P
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 09-20-2021 at 07:35 PM.

2. Likes:

Ironman92 (09-20-2021),KeefeCato (09-20-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 9-20-21 Reds vs Pirates 6:40pm

Supposed to have a lot of rain in Cincinnati from today thru Thursday

Rain may be the only thing that keeps our tragic Number from falling even faster. It's come down to this, folks. We must win these three against Pittsburgh and hope for Milwaukee to take three of four against the dirty birds. That wold pull us to within two in the loss column and still give us an outside chance with 9 games left. Can't lose to the Pirates anymore, starting tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Supposed to have a lot of rain in Cincinnati from today thru Thursday
    It doesn't look good. I see some 7 inning games on the horizon. If they get any of these in at all.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-20-2021)

Hope they get it in. This means nothing but forecast I saw says 25% rain at 7pm. I believe they must win 6 of these next 7 and get help. Cardinals are overdue for some losses. Reds overdue for some wins. Hopefully law of averages kicks in and kicks in fast.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 09-20-2021 at 03:19 PM.

9. Likes:

NebraskaRed (09-20-2021),RedsFanInMS (09-20-2021),Ron Madden (09-20-2021)

They still have a chance at the postseason.

And if the time comes when they no longer have a chance, I'll still watch the games anyway because I'll miss watching Reds baseball the day after the season ends.

11. Likes:

Banshee (09-20-2021),GADawg (09-20-2021),KeefeCato (09-20-2021),Playadlc (09-20-2021),Red Raindog (09-20-2021),RedsFanInMS (09-20-2021),Ron Madden (09-20-2021)

I, wonder why Barrero in CF vs. LF? I figured DeSheilds would be in CF anytime he played. I guess maybe they don't wanna mess with Barrero playing different OF spots.
    What are the odds that Barrero is the opening day CFer with Farmer at SS?
    I would be fine with a OF of Winker, Barrero, and Naquin. As long as they pickup a good RH bat that mashes LHP to platoon with Naquin. AND AS LONG AS THEY RESIGN GIVENS and ADD two more very good relievers.
    Could this team compete with the top 4 pitchers all back in the rotation. A upgraded bullpen and a lineup of India, Barrero, Winker, Votto, Stephenson, Suarez, Naquin, Moose DH, Farmer. Remember I am saying a bullpen of Cessa, Givens, Sims, and 2 new very good relievers as your top 5 in the pen. Wild card shot or no? You are replacing Castellanos with Barrero but you are adding two stud relievers. I am asking this because I don't see this team adding payroll. I am dumping Barnhart, Garrett, Lorenzen and Castellanos off payroll. Adding 2 stud relievers. This should reduce payrool. Which I think they will anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    They still have a chance at the postseason.

And if the time comes when they no longer have a chance, I'll still watch the games anyway because I'll miss watching Reds baseball the day after the season ends.
    Agree 100%.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 09-20-2021 at 03:32 PM.

Reds' Tragic Number is 11. Any combination of Cards' wins and Reds' losses totaling 11 and our team is eliminated from playoff contention. For example, if the Cards go 9 and 5 the remainder of the way, the Reds must lose no more than 1 game the rest of the way . The Reds would have to go 11 and 1 to finish in a tie with the Cardinals. Think of it this way. If we let x be the number of remaining Cards' wins and y be the number of remaining Reds' losses, then x plus y must equal 10 or less.

Cards : 8W and 6 L , Reds would need to go 10 and 2 to force a one game playoff with the Cards;

Cards: 7W and 7L , Reds would need to go 9 and 3 ;

Cards 6W and 8L , Reds would need to go 8 and 4;

Cards 5W and 9L , Reds would need to go 7 and 5 ;

and so on and so on ...

Let's say the Birds lose 3 of four to the Brewers and split the four gamer at Wrigley. That's 5 losses . If they lose 2 of the remaining six at home against Brewers and Cubs to close out the season, that's a total of 7 losses. The Reds would need to win 9 of their remaining 12 to force a one game playoff with the Cards(all of this assumes the Reds remain ahead of the Phils and Padres, which should happen if they win 9 of 12).

Bottomline, I can't see the Cardinals doing worse than 7 and 7 from here on out. Therefore, no more than 3 losses the rest of the way for the Reds. How about let's do this? Sweep the Pirates , three of four against the Nationals, one of two against ChiSox , sweep the Pirates. Finish 10 and 2 ; Cards finish 7 and 7. We win the wildcard!!!!!!

Have I cheered you up or depressed you more???

14. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (09-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Reds' Tragic Number is 11. Any combination of Cards' wins and Reds' losses totaling 11 and our team is eliminated from playoff contention. For example, if the Cards go 9 and 5 the remainder of the way, the Reds must lose no more than 1 game the rest of the way . The Reds would have to go 11 and 1 to finish in a tie with the Cardinals. Think of it this way. If we let x be the number of remaining Cards' wins and y be the number of remaining Reds' losses, then x plus y must equal 10 or less.

Cards : 8W and 6 L , Reds would need to go 10 and 2 to force a one game playoff with the Cards;

Cards: 7W and 7L , Reds would need to go 9 and 3 ;

Cards 6W and 8L , Reds would need to go 8 and 4;

Cards 5W and 9L , Reds would need to go 7 and 5 ;

and so on and so on ...

Let's say the Birds lose 3 of four to the Brewers and split the four gamer at Wrigley. That's 5 losses . If they lose 2 of the remaining six at home against Brewers and Cubs to close out the season, that's a total of 7 losses. The Reds would need to win 9 of their remaining 12 to force a one game playoff with the Cards(all of this assumes the Reds remain ahead of the Phils and Padres, which should happen if they win 9 of 12).

Bottomline, I can't see the Cardinals doing worse than 7 and 7 from here on out. Therefore, no more than 3 losses the rest of the way for the Reds. How about let's do this? Sweep the Pirates , three of four against the Nationals, one of two against ChiSox , sweep the Pirates. Finish 10 and 2 ; Cards finish 7 and 7. We win the wildcard!!!!!!

Have I cheered you up or depressed you more???
    One thing you can be sure about win or lose the Cubs will try like hell to beat the Cardinals. They don't care for each other. Cubs would love to knock them out for sure.

16. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (09-20-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I, wonder why Barrero in CF vs. LF? I figured DeSheilds would be in CF anytime he played. I guess maybe they don't wanna mess with Barrero playing different OF spots.
    I would be fine with a OF of Winker, Barrero, and Naquin. As long as they pickup a good RH bat that mashes LHP to platoon with Naquin. AND AS LONG AS THEY RESIGN GIVENS and ADD two more very good relievers.
    Could this team compete with the top 4 pitchers all back in the rotation. A upgraded bullpen and a lineup of India, Barrero, Winker, Votto, Stephenson, Suarez, Naquin, Moose DH, Farmer. Remember I am saying a bullpen of Cessa, Givens, Sims, and 2 new very good relievers as your top 5 in the pen. Wild card shot or no? You are replacing Castellanos with Barrero but you are adding two stud relievers. I am asking this because I don't see this team adding payroll. I am dumping Barnhart, Garrett, Lorenzen and Castellanos off payroll. Adding 2 stud relievers. This should reduce payrool. Which I think they will anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree 100%.
    I’m guessing Barrero is in CF because it’s easier to read a ball off the bat than in the corners, DeShields has much more experience with judging balls slicing and hooking in the corners than Barrero who is basically just winging it in the OF right now.

18. Likes:

KeefeCato (09-20-2021),mhs95_06 (09-20-2021),mth123 (09-20-2021),Ron Madden (09-20-2021),Tom Servo (09-20-2021)

Barrero is playing the OF today because a lefty is throwing. It’s a far cry from Barrero becoming the team’s everyday CFer. He’s a talented shortstop, I believe that’s where he will be next year. Maybe sharing some time with Farmer initially, but on his way to being the Reds’ regular shortstop.

Hopefully Reds have learned their lesson about bouncing talented kids around except for brief emergency stints.

Quite noteworthy that Aquino is not playing against the lefty pitcher this evening.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-20-2021 at 03:45 PM.

20. Likes:

KeefeCato (09-20-2021)

I have a friend who is originally from Chicago and now lives here in SE KY. He is a HUGE Cubs fan. He said Cubs' fans, in general, have an intense hatered for the Cardinals .

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Barrero is playing the OF today because a lefty is throwing. It’s a far cry from Barrero becoming the team’s everyday CFer. He’s a talented shortstop, I believe that’s where he will be next year. Maybe sharing some time with Farmer initially, but on his way to being the Reds’ regular shortstop.

Hopefully Reds have learned their lesson about bouncing talented kids around except for brief emergency stints.

Quite noteworthy that Aquino is not playing against the lefty pitcher.
    I, still don't think it is out of the question that this is the route they take next season. Farmer has became a favorite and Barrero is athletic enough that he can become a very good CFer. Plus this saves them money. I would much rather Barrero be the 2022 starting SS and they go get a good CFer. But I am not sold that they will.

7 Home Games this week against the 2 worst teams in the National League... time to nut up or shut up boys.

I, still don't think it is out of the question that this is the route they take next season. Farmer has became a favorite and Barrero is athletic enough that he can become a very good CFer. Plus this saves them money. I would much rather Barrero be the 2022 starting SS and they go get a good CFer. But I am not sold that they will.
    I seriously doubt it’s going to happen. But I certainly wouldn’t take a couple of emergency starts right now as an indication. Reds have an injury-riddled outfield, a lefty is pitching, Aquino isn’t hitting at all. So they give this a try for now.

25. Likes:

KeefeCato (09-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?