Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things To Do In Indy

Things To Do In Indy

Hello,

My wife is really into that show Good Bones. She’s been saying she wants to check out that neighborhood and their store for years now. We really need a weekend break just us two. It’s been way too long (we have 2 kids under 5 - one special needs, so we’ve put ourselves on the back burner). Long story short, I am taking her to Indy for a weekend in mid October. I know there are some Indy folks here.

Couple questions:

1.) any must-see spots we need to check out

2.) any restaurant reccs? My wife and I take COVID seriously so we would prefer places with patios if possible.

3.) I am planning on booking a room at a nicer hotel downtown Indy - any reccs with downtown hotels?

Thanks!
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Things To Do In Indy

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Hello,

My wife is really into that show Good Bones. She’s been saying she wants to check out that neighborhood and their store for years now. We really need a weekend break just us two. It’s been way too long (we have 2 kids under 5 - one special needs, so we’ve put ourselves on the back burner). Long story short, I am taking her to Indy for a weekend in mid October. I know there are some Indy folks here.

Couple questions:

2.) any restaurant reccs? My wife and I take COVID seriously so we would prefer places with patios if possible.

3.) I am planning on booking a room at a nicer hotel downtown Indy - any reccs with downtown hotels?

Thanks!
    Funny you ask...'cause I took "a lady friend" there a few weeks ago for the same reason. The store is a must but it's small so it won't take long to shop. Driving through the neighborhood was fun. I'm sure your wife will notice certain ones they did; probably by their bright colors or whatever. What I liked were the microbrews in the area. Very good and quaint, low key. Just take in the culture of that community. If your kids are coming, take 'em to the Children's Museum.

4. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-21-2021)

As for hotels, try to get a deal at the JW Marriott. Very tall and striking. It might be pricy but they have so damn many rooms I'd think you could find a deal. We got a private tour of that hotel. It's right next to the AAA baseball stadium

6. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-21-2021)

Thanks SR, and thankfully the kids are staying with the grandparents!

8. Likes:

redhawkfish (09-21-2021),Sea Ray (09-21-2021)

Hello,

Couple questions:

Thanks!
    Not sure of your tastes, but Broad Ripple during the day is quite fun. Lots of restaurants and the arts. HopCat was always one of my favorites. BR is near Butler University so it gets busy on the weekends at night but I've found Saturday and Sunday afternoons are quite pleasant.

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-22-2021)

We like just about anything food-wise, we are both always down for a good burger. We like good beer.

Even if you're not a racing fan, you should go to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and maybe do a lap around the track. They have a really nice museum as well.

13. Likes:

Danny Serafini (09-27-2021)

Hello,

Couple questions:

Thanks!
    Shipiro's deli is great for lunch. The garage at Bottleworks district is full of food vendors and other shops. The canal walk is a good place. If you like donuts, you can't pass up going to Long's bakery. Hope you enjoy your trip.

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-24-2021)

St. Elmo’s Steakhouse.

When I’m in town visiting my sister and her family, I fast all day before a St Elmo’s dinner.

And beers at The Rathskeller. 👍
    Last edited by 15fan; 09-23-2021 at 10:41 PM.

17. Likes:

bounty37h (09-29-2021),RedTeamGo! (09-24-2021)

Milktooth is the only restaurant in Indy that was in Bon Appetit magazine. The menu can be challenging and they don't allow substitutions but they have an outdoor patio and make the best brunch in the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

19. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    St. Elmo’s Steakhouse.

When I’m in town visiting my sister and her family, I fast all day before a St Elmo’s dinner.

And beers at The Rathskeller. ��
    I second the Rathskeller as another great option.

Some good recs here...a lot of things are spread out to some degree, but I'm assuming you'll have a car so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Stuff to do:
    -I would second the Canal downtown. Beautiful walk that doesn't get old.
    -Broad Ripple also is good as mentioned. Lots of food options and shopping. Also close to the Monon Trail if walking is your thing.
    -Walk Mass Ave downtown...most of the food/bars are solid (including the aforementioned Rathskeller)
    The Museum of Art is pretty great too (there are some Monets there for instance).
    -The Children's Museum is worth the trip, even for adults (though if you're trying to get away from kids, this may not be the place). It's the largest children's museum in the world.
    -If the Colts are in town, seeing a game at Lucas Oil would be fun. But maybe not with your covid concerns.
    -Motor Speedway is a good option. Indy Car racing is synonymous with the city. So it's worth going to and seeing as there is a lot of history there.

Hotels:
    -JW Marriott as mentioned is a good one (also nearly connected to the Canal as well).
    -Le Méridien downtown is awesome too (used to be The Canterbury).
    -The Conrad downtown is super nice as well.
    -The W isn't a bad fallback option.

Food/Beers:
    -St. Elmo is overrated I think, but it is a staple.
    -Long's Bakery as mentioned--great spot for doughnuts (and they're dirt cheap)
    -Milktooth is a little more exotic but very unique.
    -Bluebeard is fantastic (right across the street from Milktooth)
    -King Dough has good pizza
    -Turchettis has good sandwiches
    -Nesso has very good Italian food
    -Yats has good Cajun food
    -Madison Ave is supposed to have some great Burmese places, but haven't had a chance to check them out yet.
    -Peterson's never disappoints, but it is pricey and probably far away from where you'll be.
    -Guggman is a must for beer.
    -Deviate is also wonderful for beer, but might be farther away from where you are.

Enjoy!

22. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-24-2021)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

RE: St. Elmo's.... "over-rated" isn't quite right, as the food and service is every bit as good as you'll want in an old-tymey steakhouse ("old-tymey" in a good way, not quite all the way in a "Pine Club way," if you catch my drift). The problem is that about 15-20 years ago, they figured out they were that good. Crazy popularity (fueled by Food Network and others) combined with a good product means (a) outlandish prices and (b) genuine difficulty getting a table, especially if you're like me, and periodically enjoy driving over from Dayton and would prefer more options that "Wednesday at 10:15," without planning a week and a half ahead.

That said, you can get a lot of the same food at this sister restaurant a block down the street. It's called Harry & Izzy's, and has a lot of crossover in terms of menu (including the Shrimp Cocktail!), but it's a bit more casual and affordable. It's actually good for a dandy top shelf steak in the $25 range at lunch time (as opposed to Elmo's not having any real dinner entrees under $50), if you're willing to splurge on lunch. NOTE: $25 doesn't cover drinks or appetizers, and even at Harry and Izzy's, the shrimp cocktail costs $16 for 4 shrimp (one place where there is no discount). I think my Bombay Sapphire Martini shows up as $18, too, so, yeah, there's that

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    RE: St. Elmo's.... "over-rated" isn't quite right, as the food and service is every bit as good as you'll want in an old-tymey steakhouse ("old-tymey" in a good way, not quite all the way in a "Pine Club way," if you catch my drift). The problem is that about 15-20 years ago, they figured out they were that good. Crazy popularity (fueled by Food Network and others) combined with a good product means (a) outlandish prices and (b) genuine difficulty getting a table, especially if you're like me, and periodically enjoy driving over from Dayton and would prefer more options that "Wednesday at 10:15," without planning a week and a half ahead.

That said, you can get a lot of the same food at this sister restaurant a block down the street. It's called Harry & Izzy's, and has a lot of crossover in terms of menu (including the Shrimp Cocktail!), but it's a bit more casual and affordable. It's actually good for a dandy top shelf steak in the $25 range at lunch time (as opposed to Elmo's not having any real dinner entrees under $50), if you're willing to splurge on lunch. NOTE: $25 doesn't cover drinks or appetizers, and even at Harry and Izzy's, the shrimp cocktail costs $16 for 4 shrimp (one place where there is no discount). I think my Bombay Sapphire Martini shows up as $18, too, so, yeah, there's that
    We can agree to disagree. If you put St. Elmo's up against the best steakhouse in every major city, I think you'd find that it wouldn't stand out amongst the pack or be ranked above many. The shrimp cocktail certainly is a standout, but the steaks there are fine but not spectacular. I don't even think it's the best steak in Indy. Peterson's is better IMO. I've also heard Anthony's Chophouse in Carmel is fantastic too, but I haven't been yet. Also, I'm spoiled living in NYC, but I can easily think of 10 steakhouses here I'd rather have over St. Elmo's.

I don't hate on the place though, it's a classic establishment and it's good, it's just overrated.

Any restaurant that doesn’t allow substitutions is a no for me.

Turn Off Ads?