Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: 9-21-21 Reds vs Pirates 6:40pm

Re: 9-21-21 Reds vs Pirates 6:40pm

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    We are never going to have guys throw much more than 100 pitches in a game anymore. It is gone. Never coming back again. Love it or hate it. But pointless debating about the so called good old days. I am 54. Am I in the minority on here with people in my age range in that I have adapted and excepted morden baseball?
    Covid shutdowns didn’t help matters either. There have been pitchers this year that have pitched into 110 pitches. But last year and because of the uncertainty of this year sure that was not going to happen much.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Cards are about to win their 12th game - in their last 13.

But the only reason the Reds and Cards fans are even talking about the playoffs right now is because the Padres have lost 24 of their last 34 games.
    I'd go back even further, they were 58-42 over their first 100 games. 18-31 since.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    20 years ago nobody threw 95 mph, now almost everyone does. Max effort every pitch means less innings. Statistics that show you it's better to go with a fresh arm than it is to let a starter go a 3rd time through a lineup now exist.

This isn't a Reds thing, it's a MLB thing.
    I'm going to my grave knowing that stats and the shift destroyed the game I love.

5. Likes:

gagliano (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Covid shutdowns didn’t help matters either. There have been pitchers this year that have pitched into 110 pitches. But last year and because of the uncertainty of this year sure that was not going to happen much.
    Maybe you are. And it's not pointless debating. You could say anything discussed is pointless debating, if that's the route you want to go. How I feel about the success of my team pales in comparison to how I feel about what the game has become. And that is a big problem for me. On one is telling me that it's pointless.

7. Likes:

gagliano (09-22-2021)

Welp... that pretty much does it for this season. Considering how the Reds are playing and the Cardinals going in the other direction and with only 10 games to make up 4 its too much for this team. Nice ride this season IMO. At least they weren't out of it by Memorial Day like a few seasons have been in recent years. Play out this season and hopefully win a few more to be over .500 and comeback strong in 2022.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

REDREAD (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Did you ever see that American Banstand show from January 1967? Beatles sent a movie video of Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane. First time anyone had really seen them with mustaches and their new psychedelic clothes. The comments were great. They look weird. Their staches make them old. The Monkees are better then them now.

Only 1 person thought they looked cool. He was dressed like Height Ashbury residence. The rest looked like it was still 1964 style wise.
    They were always so freakin far ahead of everyone else. The world still hasnt caught up with them

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I’m old school.

Thank you for the real version, sir

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    You've earned my admiration... or is it my disdain??? lol I clearly have not adapted and accepted. And maybe never will. But then again, I still listen to nothing but 60's, 70's , and 80's music. Green Day? Who in the hell are they? As as I mentioned a few weeks ago I have a some friends that were diehard baseball fans for decades who have given up the game because of recent rule changes and just how much the game has changed from the one we grew up loving. I will not give up the game but I will forever lament the death of good fundamental baseball play. And sadly, the Reds are one of the worst offenders when it comes to blaspheming baseball fundamentals. They have not stressed good fundamental play in many years. I am not giving up the game or the team I love but i'm not going to get my thumbs up to a clearly inferior product from the one I grew up watching. I'll let the younger folks heap the praise on today's game of Manfred Man runners, seven inning games, and relief pitchers who can't throw on consecutive days.
    Amen amen amen. They can have this modern game. I remember when reds took infield practoce before the game. Losing things like that is why the modern game is so dull. No fundamentals. Nothing but home runs. Look at game 1 of this series. HR HR HR HR HR. This mollycoddling of players is a factor too. Not to mention show-off bat flippers and nut cases like a certain lefty relief pitcher of ours.

13. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'd go back even further, they were 58-42 over their first 100 games. 18-31 since.
    This makes me happy for one main reason: manny machado

Turn Off Ads?