Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sports Illustrated: Why Is Joey Votto Here?

Re: Sports Illustrated: Why Is Joey Votto Here?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My best friends father a lifetime Cincinnati resident thinks Joey stinks, says he prances around when he celebrates like a rooster.

A pure blue collar guy he also thought Johnny Bench made too much money and wouldn't take my friend to games in the 70's.

He's a flinty one for sure.
    I like your father.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    I like your father.
    Not my father

Thank God, Bob's a good man but he's as interesting as a pair of bolt cutters

4. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-23-2021),M2 (09-22-2021),redsfanmia (09-22-2021),Ron Madden (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    This is truly a great article well worth the time it takes to read. I highly recommend reading it.
    I strongly agree
    May the Lord bless

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-23-2021)

Great article. Now we know why Aquino stays on the roster.

8. Likes:

goreds2 (09-23-2021),marcshoe (09-22-2021),WildcatFan (09-22-2021)

It's a big long-winded, but a great look into the life of Joey Votto. He'll be remembered for a long time. I suspect that he doesn't want to go out the way Junior did.

I only hope one day he decides to manage the Reds or work in the front office (maybe Cast can sell him a piece of the team). His intelligence seems rarely matched in this organization.

Manage? Better odds he moves to a cabin in Nunavut when he retires never to be seen again.

12. Likes:

M2 (09-22-2021),marcshoe (09-22-2021),Number_Fourteen (09-23-2021),westofyou (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Manage? Better odds he moves to a cabin in Nunavut when he retires never to be seen again.
    Ted Williams fished for eight years before he showed up, but I'd expect to see Votto hosting Hockey Night in Canada before getting into that line of the game.

It used to be just ex catchers, stars and middle infielders as managers, now it's lifers, organization guys, young studs and hanger ons

Baseball is great reading because it's rich in real human experiences, it's the outliers like Votto that make baseball history special. In fifty years people are going to read this and wish that they saw Joey play. Just like I wish I saw Cobb, Jackie, Musial etc..

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-28-2021),bagz (09-25-2021),cumberlandreds (09-23-2021),goreds2 (09-23-2021),RedsBaron (09-23-2021),Ron Madden (09-23-2021),Roy Tucker (09-23-2021)

Haunted by walks

Votto is on record saying he’ll become a school bus driver or a crossing guard.

How in the world did the Reds draft Joey Votto on Jim Bowden's watch? #19 is arguably the prototype for an UnBowden kind of draft pick.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    How in the world did the Reds draft Joey Votto on Jim Bowden's watch? #19 is arguably the prototype for an UnBowden kind of draft pick.
    Well, they did select Chris Gruler and Mark Schramek before him.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Votto is on record saying he’ll become a school bus driver or a crossing guard.
    And now, perhaps a chef or a comedian. I'm not sure I'd put a lot of stock in what Votto says he's going to do after baseball. I think he may be having some fun with interviewers. Kind of like when Dizzy dean would give differing dates, places of birth and given names to reporters. Diz wanted every reporter to have a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-23-2021),RedsBaron (09-23-2021),Ron Madden (09-24-2021),Roy Tucker (09-23-2021)

That article is a great read. And to think there were posts on this, the site of the most dedicated Reds fans, essentially calling Votto a jerk as the season commenced.

21. Likes:

Chip R (09-23-2021),cumberlandreds (09-23-2021),Larkin Fan (09-23-2021),RedsBaron (09-23-2021),Ron Madden (09-24-2021),Roy Tucker (09-23-2021)

Turn Off Ads?