Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Reds sign David Bell to 2-year extension

Re: Reds sign David Bell to 2-year extension

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    All right. My point remains. I don’t think Bell has nearly the power that we think he does.
    He definitely doesn't. They even talked about in Spring Training that the front office had input on daily lineups, pitcher usage, etc.

2. Likes:

Chip R (09-24-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    He definitely doesn't. They even talked about in Spring Training that the front office had input on daily lineups, pitcher usage, etc.
    Exactly. And what would his shelf life be if he didn't play Suarez? He can mix and rotate and sift and churn, but he's going to play the guys the front office paid for.

He's the perfect manager for a team like this. It isn't like he's a boutique manager like Dusty or Maddon who would be snatched up, and he has no choice but to be a yes man.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    I don't understand the timing of this at all. Rather than extend him when the Reds were rolling and had a playoff spot in hand, you wait until there are 10 games left and the team has cratered to put itself out of contention? I guess the front office has either been negotiating over dollars or this is just a desperation move to get the team to relax knowing that they're not playing for Bell's job.

I was ok with him being extended in August, but losing two straight series to both Cubs and Pirates has changed my opinion. Yes, there've been injuries and a big roster upgrade is needed regardless of manager. But this team has looked flat out uninspired for weeks now. Short of a $200 million payroll, David Bell will never manage any team to a WS. This organization is once again telling its fan base they should be happy with mediocrity.
    Uninspired even while right in the thick of a WC berth. I guess that is what has bothered me the most. They've just seemed flat, unmotivated, and with no sense of urgency for weeks. Sadly, a lot of the fan base has become numb to losing. A .500 record seems like a win and something to hang their hats on for a lot of folks. Bottomline, the extension was weird but not unexpected from this bunch in the FO.

7. Likes:

malcontent (09-24-2021),OldFashionedRed (09-25-2021),Phoenix2 (09-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    It's not so much about there being a specific person they should've hired instead. And obviously as you point out, the lack of payroll for quality players is the biggest problem. I don't even need the Reds to win it all (would love it, of course); I just want to see SOME progress. In three years, they haven't won a single playoff game under Bell and blew their chance to even get in this year. Is that ALL on him? Of course not. But for two years in a row, they seemed not ready to play when it mattered most and at least some of that has to reflect back on your manager. We know what we have with DB at this point and it's not inspiring.

Like I said, losing series to both Cubs AND Pirates down the stretch. That's just inexcusable. I have a problem with collapses like the 2021 Reds have undergone being rewarded. That to me says middle of the pack is good enough.
    A few thoughts:

1. I suspect no one here could name a manager who profiles as capable of winning it all on a Reds-sized payroll. It's not that it can't be done (though it's super hard), but the closest thing out there to a manager who wins everywhere he goes is Dusty Baker. And the Reds canned him eight years ago. What we want is a unicorn when what's probably more likely to get it done is a mule.

2. The past few weeks have sucked. No way around it. The team put itself into a playoff spot and the offense has cratered. Now Bell's getting blowback because the team did well enough to make people believe. If you think someone else would have put them in contention and then worked around losing Winker, Naquin and Stephenson, I can't tell you that's wrong, but I think we all recognize it's not the easiest of landings to stick. Each of us hoped otherwise.

3. I try to judge managers on how well they work with what they were given. What soured me on Bryan Price was his absolute failure to bring along young pitchers. They splattered when they hit the majors with a mix of horrendous pitching and injuries. He developed the habit of leaving them in for senseless beatings after they were shot, like they were supposed to learn something from it. Jim Riggleman of all people knew better than to do that when he took the interim job. In Bell's case, he's done fairly well with what they gave him. Despite the almost complete lack of a bullpen, the team has a 109 ERA+. That's kind of amazing. And a lot of the maybes on offense clicked: India, Stephenson, Naquin. Farmer's even been better than most expected. And I liked the way the team played most of the year when most of the team was available. I neither love nor hate Bell, but I can see why the organization would think he can do more with a more complete team.

4. We have seen some progress. I sometimes wonder if people forget where the team was in 2015-18 with the worst cumulative record in MLB across those seasons. That was dire. This is frustrating, but only because a good team seems inches for our grasp.
    Last edited by M2; 09-24-2021 at 11:11 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

HokieRed (09-24-2021),RedsBaron (09-24-2021),Ron Madden (09-24-2021),Roy Tucker (09-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    how can anyone with SAT scores over 400 get excited about this nepotistic re hiring of bromidic spewing, uninspiring, managerial equivalent of the hitting of Darrell Chaney
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-24-2021),RedsBaron (09-24-2021),Roy Tucker (09-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    All right. My point remains. I don’t think Bell has nearly the power that we think he does.
    Yep. He manages the tools given him. But he has little to no say, for the most part, in the acquisition of those tools. Yet incurs the wrath and punishment for not getting those pieces to excel regardless. And Cincinnati doesn't buy DeWalt, Kobalt, or Milwaukee tools. They're more of a Harbor Freight kind of ownership.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Bell didn't sign a single player to this team. I opposed signing Moose when it happened. prolly 10 relievers i suggested the Reds sign have flamed out. I still think Aquino can hit given a proper chance. I thought Wade Miley was a 6th starter. I think Mahle next year might vie for a CY award.

I'm not sure I want a single member of this bullpen back next year.

And I'm glad the Reds opted for stability at Manager, especially when his players, Votto in particular seem to genuinely love the man.

Seeing him rip into the Pirates during the Brawl for it All was most of what I need.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Nepotism is poison.

Unless...

"Unless what?"

Unless you own a monopoly that appreciates in value regardless of performance.

Then it's:

Last edited by Bob Sheed; 09-24-2021 at 10:18 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

15. Likes:

DocRed (09-24-2021)

On reflection, I think this is a horrible move. If I owned the team (yes, if I did what I did the last year, I'd fire myself as owner), I'd fire the GM, the hitting coach, the training and medical staff and find management and coaches that do not believe in grip and rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    On reflection, I think this is a horrible move. If I owned the team (yes, if I did what I did the last year, I'd fire myself as owner), I'd fire the GM, the hitting coach, the training and medical staff and find management and coaches that do not believe in grip and rip.
    Jonathan India, Tyler Stephenson, Tyler Naquin, Nicholas Castellanos, Jesse Winker and Joey Votto all say...

huh?

Offense is NOT the problem. Might be a little situationally challenged at times, but overall? nah.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?