Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign David Bell to 2-year extension

Re: Reds sign David Bell to 2-year extension

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd say it hinges most on Bob Castellini.
    Yep. Either invest in the team or sell them to someone that will.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-22-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Of course. Why even pretend that there will be reflection and deliberation at the end of the season. Extend him right in the throes of this epic collapse. That makes sure the fans know where the priorities of the organization are. I'm sure that the Reds Baseball Sanhedrin here all approve.

There isn't a manager on the planet that could have managed this team to a division title with the roster Bell was given and the injuries and lack luster performances this team has suffered. Where the Reds go as an organization rests with the front office and ownership. Sadly, that doesn't leave me with much hope, but I'm not about to blame David Bell for the Reds obvious shortcomings.
    School's out. What did you expect?

6. Likes:

757690 (09-22-2021),Big Red Smokey (09-24-2021),Coopdaddy67 (09-22-2021),cumberlandreds (09-22-2021),M2 (09-22-2021),mth123 (09-22-2021),NebraskaRed (09-22-2021),REDREAD (09-22-2021),Revering4Blue (09-22-2021),Ron Madden (09-22-2021),Roy Tucker (09-22-2021),wlf WV (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I would've liked to have waited to see if Aaron Boone was fired. I think he'd be a fine manager in a smaller market.
    I don't ever want to see another Boone in the red's managerial chair.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

8. Likes:

Red Raindog (09-22-2021)

If Boone is canned he will find much greener pastures available.
    Go Gators!

10. Likes:

gagliano (09-23-2021),REDREAD (09-22-2021)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

David Bell is an over-thinking, tinkering fool of an MLB manager. He cost this team at least a half-dozen games this season on brain farts. I don’t get to watch everyone else play on a daily basis, so maybe that’s par for the course, but you look back on those games and just cringe when you get to the point in a season where a handful of games matter so much.

Tend to agree with the sentiment in this thread that Castellini and the FO are the bigger issues for this organization, but I also can’t ignore the fact that an organization that really values competing and winning at a high level would not make this move.

The most likely scenario is the FO fails us AGAIN in this off-season — wait until you hear their CBA and DH excuses — and you will have a subpar manager dealing with an incomplete roster all over again in 2022. Bell is not good enough to manage that type of roster. We’ll be right back here in Frustrationland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rounding third and heading for home...

12. Likes:

malcontent (09-22-2021),OldFashionedRed (09-22-2021),TexasRedsFan (09-23-2021),Tony Cloninger (09-22-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I still find a lot of things Bell does very irritating and would have been okay with moving on if a guy like Boone was available. But otherwise I just view him as the managerial equivalent of putting your pants on in the morning. He’s just kind of there.

I do like it a lot however from a keeping the organization stable in coaching and analytics POV. And if pisses off some of the more annoying recent posters here and makes them scatter, that’s just the cherry on top.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    David Bell is an over-thinking, tinkering fool of an MLB manager. He cost this team at least a half-dozen games this season on brain farts. I don’t get to watch everyone else play on a daily basis, so maybe that’s par for the course
    That IS par for the course my man. That’s a very “I only watch the Reds” take, this is just baseball now. And there are things about it I find irritating and Bell does apply some of it weirdly at times, but otherwise he’s Managerbot 9000 at this point.

15. Likes:

Chip R (09-22-2021),M2 (09-22-2021),NebraskaRed (09-22-2021),Powel Crosley (09-22-2021),Tom Servo (09-22-2021),Tony Cloninger (09-22-2021)

Like many have said, on the list of things that were wrong with the 2021 Reds, Bell is pretty far down the list.

I’m not doing backflips that he’s staying, but at least this issue is not out there hanging. Now Bob C has to pony up the bucks and Krall needs to make good moves. I am hopeful but also realistic.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

17. Likes:

Chip R (09-22-2021),REDREAD (09-22-2021)

I agree that the talent is very limited on this club. Good starting pitching, okay bullpen (at the end of the season), no speed

But the following do fall on Bell:
    no smallball
    taking guys out of lineup when something was working well

19. Likes:

gagliano (09-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    I agree that the talent is very limited on this club. Good starting pitching, okay bullpen (at the end of the season), no speed

But the following do fall on Bell:
    no smallball
    taking guys out of lineup when something was working well
    Yeah unfortunately it’s not 1980 anymore so nobody does smallball or set a lineup and leave it for 162 games anymore. You will not find a single manager who does those things.

21. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (09-22-2021),CySeymour (09-22-2021),Tom Servo (09-22-2021)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That IS par for the course my man. That’s a very “I only watch the Reds” take, this is just baseball now. And there are things about it I find irritating and Bell does apply some of it weirdly at times, but otherwise he’s Managerbot 9000 at this point.
    You’d be surprised. I watch about 2-3 games on average a night. But it’s not always the same team, so that’s why I conceded I may not have the same perspective as someone who follows the Yanks or Phillies 100+ days a season, for example.

That said, on your MB9000 point, I’ve argued that for a long time. They’d do no worse with a trained monkey, but they need to develop a new culture here.

Rounding third and heading for home...

23. Likes:

malcontent (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    You’d be surprised. I watch about 2-3 games on average a night. But it’s not always the same team, so that’s why I conceded I may not have the same perspective as someone who follows the Yanks or Phillies 100+ days a season, for example.

That said, on your MB9000 point, I’ve argued that for a long time. They’d do no worse with a trained monkey, but they need to develop a new culture here.

Does the manager have a say in that culture? I think some of what we witnessed this season was a game preparation / play culture issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Not a shock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I would have preferred one year
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 09-22-2021 at 03:59 PM.

26. Likes:

Red Raindog (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The Larkin uprising failed.
    Hopefully those were nothing more than internet rumors gone amok. Still, the front office could have put the kibosh on those rumors and gave Bell - not to mention his coaches - some security and peace of mind by announcing this say, a month or so ago.

What we sometimes forget is that these are real life flesh and blood humans just like you and me. They have families and, along with their regular duties, don't need the extra burden of trying to find another coaching job next year. Leaving them twisting in the wind is unnecessary and some would say cruel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

28. Likes:

REDREAD (09-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?