Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Anyone monitoring the Brian & Gabby situation?

Re: Anyone monitoring the Brian & Gabby situation?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That’s a great story, I am assuming that was next to UD’s campus based on the description. Ha.
    No, it was way out in East Dayton, not very close to downtown.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    This made me think about one of the first places we went to when we moved to Dayton in 94. My wife knew I missed playing music with people, and that was before the Internet, so she read through all the papers and found this place where they had an open blues jam once a week. She arranged for one of the neighbor girls to come over to babysit, and we headed down.

Well, the neighborhood was kind of dingy, and a prostitute did pull up her shirt and flash her boobs at me as we drove by, and it got darker and dingier as we got closer and closer, but we didn’t care. We made it, and there was just a tiny little sign hanging in the window that even gave a hint that it was a public establishment.

We walked in, and there was a clipboard where are you signed up for the jam, so I entered my name and the instrument, and went and sat down next to a black couple, which doesn’t say much because every couple there except for us was a black couple. Yeah, we stuck out a little bit.

We listened for a while, and the guy who was kind of like an MC then said, “Hey, we got a new guy tonight, and I can’t pronounce his last name, but give it up for Johnny!” Now, I was wearing cowboy boots and I had a nice sport coat on, and I had my acoustic guitar with me, and I stepped up to the stage. Later, my wife told me that the woman next to us said, “What’s that fool think he’s doing up there?”, but my wife didn’t say anything.

I always loved Delta blues, so I started off with a Son House song, and said “In Europe they call this song the Cooling Board sometimes, but you might call it Death Letter over here, but I think these guys will figure it out either way”, and the house band kicked it off. I did that and a T-bone Walker song called stormy Monday, and I might’ve done crossroads by Clapton.

I got a very nice applause out of all of it, and went back and sat down, but now the guy that was sitting next to me, Jimmy, who I found out was an awesome bass player, wanted to talk and talk about music and the songs we each knew. My wife moved around and asked his wife, Gladys, “Can I sit with you? When John starts talking about music, I might as well not even be there. This could go on for hours.” Gladys knew exactly what she was talking about, and they hit it off.

At the time we had three little kids and of course they talked about family and everything, and then my wife whispered to Gladys, “i’ve got a secret, and I have to tell somebody. But, don’t tell your husband and don’t tell John!”

“Girl, are you having an affair? If you are, you’re crazy!”

“No!”, then whispered, “I won’t know for sure for a couple of weeks, but I feel it, and I think I’m pregnant.”

Gladys just looked at her and said, “If I could’ve thought there was one thing crazier than having an affair, this is it. You already got three little kids, what are you thinking??“ But then she thought for a minute, and said “Oh my God, now we got to plan a baby shower. I’m taking care of everything. You probably don’t know many people here if you just moved here.”

After that, they were best of friends for years and years. My wife went to her church, and they even let her sing Christmas songs solo every Christmas. There was hardly a weekend that ever went by where either we weren’t at their house or they weren’t at ours.

I told a lot of people about that place, but in the 20 years I continued to go there, I’ll bet I never saw more than four or five white people the whole time, and they rarely ever came back for a repeat visit. It’s terrible what fear and uncertainty will do to a persons mind, all because they feel safer going to Bonefish Grill or Carvers instead and don’t want to risk anything. Well, the truth is that most people in the “bad” neighborhoods don’t want anything to do with prostitutes and drugs either, so unless you’re buying drugs, selling drugs, or soliciting a prostitute, you’re going to be perfectly fine. And I tell you what, you’re most likely going to have a lot more fun, because corporate America hasn’t planned it out nice and tidy and sanitized for everybody.
    Bernie Carbo.

The most interesting man in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Bernie Carbo.

If he wrote a book, I would buy one to read, and four more to support the effort.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

When I was a lad (late 60’s), there were no AAU or club basketball teams. There were summer pickup games and, if you wanted to get better, you went out and sought out the good games. So the best games were at the courts over by what is now Fairmont High School but was Fairmont West at the time.

Typical open court games, shirts and skins, 5 man teams, you win you keep playing, you lose you go sit. Guys there were from the 2 Fairmonts, Belmont, Meadowdale, Alter, Chaminade, Centerville, and a smattering of other teams. Plus occasional players from UD and Wright State. If UD players showed up, it was a big deal and they dominated. But, it was a good way to find out how good you were. One thing was that it was about 98% white guys but I didn’t think much of it at the time. I held my own there, played good D, passed well, hit the open shot when it was there, but by no means was I outstanding. But I got better.

So one time, I was asked by a group of guys to go over to the west side of Dayton, i.e. the black side of town to play. Guys there were from Dayton Dunbar and Dayton Roth and some Dayton city leagues. Boy did that open my eyes. I was intimidated as hell at first. But as the day went on, I got used to the style of play and played better. But one thing I learned was to stay away from the barking and woofing and just keep my head down, shut up, and play hard. I didn’t want my ass kicked but I figured my play would speak for itself. We went back a couple more times to play, I managed to be decent, and learned the the Fairmont courts didn’t quite cover the spectrum of play that was evolving.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    When I was a lad (late 60’s), there were no AAU or club basketball teams. There were summer pickup games and, if you wanted to get better, you went out and sought out the good games. So the best games were at the courts over by what is now Fairmont High School but was Fairmont West at the time.

Typical open court games, shirts and skins, 5 man teams, you win you keep playing, you lose you go sit. Guys there were from the 2 Fairmonts, Belmont, Meadowdale, Alter, Chaminade, Centerville, and a smattering of other teams. Plus occasional players from UD and Wright State. If UD players showed up, it was a big deal and they dominated. But, it was a good way to find out how good you were. One thing was that it was about 98% white guys but I didn’t think much of it at the time. I held my own there, played good D, passed well, hit the open shot when it was there, but by no means was I outstanding. But I got better.

So one time, I was asked by a group of guys to go over to the west side of Dayton, i.e. the black side of town to play. Guys there were from Dayton Dunbar and Dayton Roth and some Dayton city leagues. Boy did that open my eyes. I was intimidated as hell at first. But as the day went on, I got used to the style of play and played better. But one thing I learned was to stay away from the barking and woofing and just keep my head down, shut up, and play hard. I didn’t want my ass kicked but I figured my play would speak for itself. We went back a couple more times to play, I managed to be decent, and learned the the Fairmont courts didn’t quite cover the spectrum of play that was evolving.
    Dunbar and Roth were very good when I was in High School in the very early '80s.

And for the record, the majority of my town was the crappy part of town.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Bernie Carbo.

No, I just never cared much about conforming to the mainstream. For me, traveling was always very important, music is extremely important, and I love my family and I love having meals together at home, having friends over, things like that. I really don’t need anything else. I just sold my house a month ago, and everything I cared about taking fit in the back of the pickup truck with plenty of room to spare. I told the buyers just to keep the rest. I just like a very simple life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    If he wrote a book, I would buy one to read, and four more to support the effort.
    Funny you say that. My wife was constantly writing in journals, because that’s what she was, a writer. Not a professional one, because her main thing was studying classical literature, but she just wrote and wrote. After we met, she actually went out on her own all over Europe and met people that I knew in the past and talked to them about me and wrote down everything they said, and there are literally tens of thousands of pages in her journals.

I had this tiny little apartment, and she would come over and lay on the rug in the middle of the floor, and she’d be writing, and I’d be sitting on the sofa playing the guitar, and once she looked up at me and said, “What do you love more, me or your guitar?”

I didn’t even look up, and just said “Some things you just shouldn’t ask a man”, and she started scribbling quickly in the journal, so that little exchange made it for posterity.

9. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-04-2021),OldRightHander (10-11-2021)

I’m starting to think that Laundrie’s sister is the only sane person in the whole despicable family. She’s maintaining her composure, but she’s made it clear that they and their lawyer have thrown her under the bus and their story isn’t believable.

I can’t blame him for running away, because that’s what criminals and cowards do. But honestly, as much as I love my kids, I would not help them get away. I’d turn them in without hesitation.

If you had him for dead looks like you're right.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brian-lau...165700990.html

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    If you had him for dead looks like you're right.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brian-lau...165700990.html
    Human remains found. They were underwater, so it’s looking like he drowned himself.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

That's a shame.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That's a shame.
    All the way around.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Human remains found. They were underwater, so it’s looking like he drowned himself.
    Drowning yourself is pretty badass, and he doesn’t look the type. That place was recently underwater, so he either od’d on purpose or shot himself, and the receding waters dragged him to a low spot.

I sure wouldn't jump to the opinion that he drowned himself yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Drowning yourself is pretty badass, and he doesn’t look the type. That place was recently underwater, so he either od’d on purpose or shot himself, and the receding waters dragged him to a low spot.
    Good point. It also may not be him. We shouldn’t jump to any conclusions.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?