Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryson Dechambeau is Amazing...

Bryson Dechambeau is Amazing...

I've never been a fan of him and actually disliked him at one point...but damn this last week changed my mind. His 417 yard drive over the water on a par 5 at the Ryder cup finished off with an eagle putt was flat out amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSjZFWHcgCM

Add to that today, just 2 days from a Ryder cup victory the dude enters the PGLA Long drive championship and easily makes it into the next round! He was 2nd in his group and hit drives of hit drives of 412, 408, 407, 403 and 401 yards! Just 5 yards shy of the longest drive of anyone today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGhxTwF0-tU
    Last edited by DocRed; 09-29-2021 at 11:51 AM.

2. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (09-28-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bryson Dechambeau is Amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I've never been a fan of him and actually disliked him...but damn this last week changed my mind. His 417 yard drive over the water on a par 5 at the Ryder cup finished off with an eagle putt was flat out amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSjZFWHcgCM

Add to that today, just 2 days from a Ryder cup victory the dude enters the PGLA Long drive championship and easily makes it into the next round! He was 2nd in his group and hit drives of hit drives of 412, 408, 407, 403 and 401 yards! Just 5 yards shy of the longest drive of anyone today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGhxTwF0-tU
    I'm a huge Bryson can but totally get why people don't like him. I think he's just a socially awkward guy who tries too hard, and then it rubs people wrong. He's a little like Bauer in that he's willing to buck conventional methods because he really believes in his training (and he's been proven right like Bauer), but unlike Bauer he cares a lot about what people think of him.

I thought this article was pretty good: https://www.golfchannel.com/news/202...week-least?amp

He's not as good as Tiger, or even the best in the game right now, but IMO he's appointment viewing like nobody since Tiger's heyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not Tiger, but he's the closest thing the PGA Tour has to Tiger right now. He's must watch TV.

But better than that 417 yard drive that cut the dogleg, him driving the green in his Sunday single was so freaking awesome. Almost set the tone for the whole day. Crowd was roaring after it.

6. Likes:

Chip R (09-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    He's not Tiger, but he's the closest thing the PGA Tour has to Tiger right now. He's must watch TV.

But better than that 417 yard drive that cut the dogleg, him driving the green in his Sunday single was so freaking awesome. Almost set the tone for the whole day. Crowd was roaring after it.
    He's perfect for stuff like Ryder Cup where emotion plays a big part in the event and he's on a team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-06-2022),Stray (09-30-2021)

The Ryder Cup was a great reset for him. I like him too, but like someone else said he’s just a little socially awkward and has a different personality and maybe got off on the wrong foot. The Koepka stuff started out fun, but then turned kinda mean and has played its course (no pun intended).

10. Likes:

Chip R (09-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The Ryder Cup was a great reset for him. I like him too, but like someone else said he’s just a little socially awkward and has a different personality and maybe got off on the wrong foot. The Koepka stuff started out fun, but then turned kinda mean and has played its course (no pun intended).
    His personality isn't suited for pro golf. Very similar to baseball where showing emotion is considered unseemly. But while Tiger's personality was suited for pro golf, he wasn't mainly because of his heritage. That said, Bryson has the fans on his side because he's a long hitter. Fans love long hitters. It's why John Daly has stayed relevant for so long. Being on a winning Ryder Cup team - along with being a huge reason why they won - is going to make the fans - and some players - think twice about him. Like maybe he's not such a bad guy after all. Of course, a little conflict in golf isn't necessarily a bad thing. Nicklaus and Palmer didn't get along that well at first. Tiger has not always been cordial with his fellow pros. A little feud can be good for TV ratings - especially with Tiger's days on the Tour likely over.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    His personality isn't suited for pro golf. Very similar to baseball where showing emotion is considered unseemly. But while Tiger's personality was suited for pro golf, he wasn't mainly because of his heritage. That said, Bryson has the fans on his side because he's a long hitter. Fans love long hitters. It's why John Daly has stayed relevant for so long. Being on a winning Ryder Cup team - along with being a huge reason why they won - is going to make the fans - and some players - think twice about him. Like maybe he's not such a bad guy after all. Of course, a little conflict in golf isn't necessarily a bad thing. Nicklaus and Palmer didn't get along that well at first. Tiger has not always been cordial with his fellow pros. A little feud can be good for TV ratings - especially with Tiger's days on the Tour likely over.
    I disagree here, Bryson's personality is fit for golf, and he is a guy who is pushing the game forward, kinda like Tiger did. He is very analytical, questioning, and adaptive of new philosophies in golf. He is emotional, but there have been guys throughout golf who have been emotional. He just is a little abrasive personality wise.

Daly was a guy people loved because he was like them. Beer drinking, chain smoking, hard partying, and swinging for the fences on everything. FWIW Daly wasted more talent than anyone in the last 20 years of golf. But he had fun doing it!

13. Likes:

DocRed (09-29-2021),Hoosier Red (09-30-2021),oregonred (09-29-2021)

Bryson just won his first group in Rd 3. Live feed below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hslfqyNPUUw

Live now. Bryson just came in 2nd in a very tough group that included 2 favorites Borgmeier and Berkshire(defending champ). Top 8 advance...gonna be close. He is currently T7
    Last edited by DocRed; 10-01-2021 at 07:21 PM.

A proficient golfer knows how to control his/her golf ball. Bryson is a long ball master but way short on ball control. He does not meet my definition of a golfer. He should be in a tent at the State Fair rather than considered a professional golfer.

There are only 6 golfers in the world? Because Bryson is #7 in the world golf rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Guy View Post
    A proficient golfer knows how to control his/her golf ball. Bryson is a long ball master but way short on ball control. He does not meet my definition of a golfer. He should be in a tent at the State Fair rather than considered a professional golfer.
    Name:  B7DE9C06-3E88-4E12-AB85-A48926531A33.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  207.9 KB
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

19. Likes:

Chip R (10-18-2021),Hillsdale87 (10-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Guy View Post
    I can't tell if this is a joke or not. A proficient golfer gets the ball in the hole in fewer strokes than the competition. It doesn't matter how it gets there. Bryson's lost some touch with his wedges as he's bulked up, but he's one of the best putters on tour. He's not as well rounded as some of the other top players, but he's so much stronger in other areas that it makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I can't tell if this is a joke or not. A proficient golfer gets the ball in the hole in fewer strokes than the competition. It doesn't matter how it gets there. Bryson's lost some touch with his wedges as he's bulked up, but he's one of the best putters on tour. He's not as well rounded as some of the other top players, but he's so much stronger in other areas that it makes up for it.

Agreed. I don’t know if it was a joke or not either.

Bryson has created a lot of extra drama around around his game, but overall, he’s delivered. He can absolutely walk the walk. He’s an amazing driver of the ball and a fantastic putter. His wedge play is mediocre, but I’m guessing that’ll be his next mission to accomplish. He works harder than any other professional golfer in the world and is driven to be the absolute best he can be. I admire that and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the #1 golfer in the world someday.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Agreed. I don’t know if it was a joke or not either.

Bryson has created a lot of extra drama around around his game, but overall, he’s delivered. He can absolutely walk the walk. He’s an amazing driver of the ball and a fantastic putter. His wedge play is mediocre, but I’m guessing that’ll be his next mission to accomplish. He works harder than any other professional golfer in the world and is driven to be the absolute best he can be. I admire that and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the #1 golfer in the world someday.
    Doesn't he have a theory that he doesn't practice putting? I thought I read that somewhere.

What Bryson can do off the tee is simply amazing. My one main concern with him would be the longevity of that swing. If you look at his swing compared to DJ (another great driver of the ball) DJ looks smooth and Bryson looks violent to say the least. He looks like a walking back injury with his swing. Heck look at Jason Day, anther long driver of the ball, who has had back injuries for years it seems, and his swing looks smooth as well.

The game has changed since I played competitively, and driving distance may be the most important part of the game today. Its ironic to see a great golfer with such suspect wedge play. FWIW, I would probably stay away from those long drive competitions if I were Bryson, just more pressure on his back.

Turn Off Ads?