Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: i sure woukd like to see a Reds team with a chip on tgier shoulder come this spring

Re: i sure woukd like to see a Reds team with a chip on tgier shoulder come this spri

I think you're using the wrong metaphor here. While chip on your shoulder means to have a bad attitude and get angry easily, which might be appropriate, it's generally caused by a feeling of being wronged by others (or the world in general). And therefore a person (or team) adopts a perceived sense of inferiority, such as the Media doesn't believe in their ability to win.

The Reds should be pissed at themselves for losing 8 straight series and essentially blowing the opportunity to, at minimum, challenge for a wild card spot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: i sure woukd like to see a Reds team with a chip on tgier shoulder come this spri

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Honestly why are you tired of this ....now? I mean...it's not like this is new behavior. It's not like there weren't folks who looked at what this front office did during the off season and said it wasn't enough. It's not like anybody thought the reds were one of the best two or three teams in the league.

A lot went right this year and that was fun to watch, but at the end of the day they rank as the 7/8/9 best team in the league which is exactly where they were at the end of last year..

They haven't been GOOD since 2013 and that team broke our hearts and they haven't been REALLY GOOD since 1995 and THAT team broke our hearts too and that's not even bringing up the 99 team.

What makes you "friggen tired of this" now? It's where and what the franchise is. For 25 years they've openly crowed that they weren't going to invest in the brand, but try to break even on a year to year basis. This is what that looks like. It's not going to change till Castelini cashes out his profit and a new owner comes to town and, frankly, a new owner's most rational path is exactly the path that Castelini and Lindner have already plowed.

Larry, you have almost 4,000 posts dating back 15 years. This isn't your first rodeo brother. It's what we signed up for as reds fans.
    I started following the Reds in the early '70s, so I actually didn't sign up for this. But, it's in my blood now and it's definitely too late.

4. Likes:

Chip R (09-29-2021),M2 (09-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I started following the Reds in the early '70s, so I actually didn't sign up for this. But, it's in my blood now and it's definitely too late.
    I don't buy that. That sounds more like an appeal to the masses than saying the market dictates expectations of fans, or somesuch.

6. Likes:

Chip R (09-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You mean like this?

Unfortunately, in the end, (and I hate to say it) it was the Cards and Woodford who stood over the Reds flexing. Sometimes flexing in the first series of the season comes back like some kind of karma, karma, karma, karma, karma chameleon in the last series of the season between those two teams. Best of luck to Nick. Who knows he may be standing over a Reds player and flexing next season for the Redbirds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Unfortunately, in the end, (and I hate to say it) it was the Cards and Woodford who stood over the Reds flexing. Sometimes flexing in the first series of the season comes back like some kind of karma, karma, karma, karma, karma chameleon in the last series of the season between those two teams. Best of luck to Nick. Who knows he may be standing over a Reds player and flexing next season for the Redbirds.
    Sure, but don't tell me this team didn't walk into this didn't walk into this season lacking a chip on its shoulder.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Chip R (09-30-2021),Hoosier Red (09-30-2021)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I have it on good authority that the Reds came into this season with chips in their brains. It was all part of an experiment conducted in conjunction by the Illuminati, the Lizard People, the St. Louis Cardinals, and Dr. Faucci. The chips seemed to operate flawlessly, and caused the Reds to so totally choke when activated in September.

Ergo, I agree with the posts here: if we want to prove we are true fans, we must stop being fans, and boycott the Reds until the front office stops the mediocrity, which in this case means shelling out for even more powerful chips to be installed in our players shoulders -- controlled by Secret Real Reds Manager Barry Larkin -- to counteract the ones in their brains. Only then should we return to supporting the team, as victory will be assured.

Assured!

11. Likes:

757690 (09-29-2021),M2 (09-29-2021),Patrick Bateman (09-29-2021),Revering4Blue (09-30-2021),Roy Tucker (09-29-2021),westofyou (09-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    I have it on good authority that the Reds came into this season with chips in their brains. It was all part of an experiment conducted in conjunction by the Illuminati, the Lizard People, the St. Louis Cardinals, and Dr. Faucci. The chips seemed to operate flawlessly, and caused the Reds to so totally choke when activated in September.

Ergo, I agree with the posts here: if we want to prove we are true fans, we must stop being fans, and boycott the Reds until the front office stops the mediocrity, which in this case means shelling out for even more powerful chips to be installed in our players shoulders -- controlled by Secret Real Reds Manager Barry Larkin -- to counteract the ones in their brains. Only then should we return to supporting the team, as victory will be assured.

Assured!
    Sufi knowledge never wanes

This team played over their heads. Replicate the Brewers’ pen and deepen the defense. That would give us a chance.

14. Likes:

Hoosier Red (09-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This team played over their heads.
    What's that based on other than your bad judgment?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    What's that based on other than your bad judgment?
    Inflated offensive numbers from Votto, Cast, India (who I like but whose numbers were unsustainable), and probably Winker. The freeze-out of September pantsed them all. It was fun, but a hot-weather high. They’re a .500 club.

Inflated offensive numbers from Votto, Cast, India (who I like but whose numbers were unsustainable), and probably Winker. The freeze-out of September pantsed them all. It was fun, but a hot-weather high. They’re a .500 club.
    I think that's probably an accurate assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I think that's probably an accurate assessment.
    The Reds need a lot more offense. They got some sweet gifts from India, Naquin, and even Barnhart for a couple months, but Cast is gone, Winker is brittle, and India is probably more of a .750 guy when the smoke all clears. Votto will be 38. The offense will be a smoking crater on October 1.

So how do you tell Bob Castellini you aren’t happy about how he runs the Reds? He’s worth $400M, he paid $270M for the Reds, and now they are worth over $1.085B. And he runs the Reds like his food company. They took in less than half in revenue in 2020 than they had in previous years. So like a good businessman that runs his business like his vegetable company, he cuts costs back so they can at least break even. If anyone has any good ideas to shake Castellini off this mode of business, I’m all ears. Because he isn’t going change unless there is a compelling case.

Last edited by Roy Tucker; 09-29-2021 at 09:15 PM.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

20. Likes:

westofyou (09-29-2021)

Yeah, some of us knew what they were coming into the season. You didn't. Vegas had their over/under at 81.5. Pretty much everywhere rated them better than you. You didn't think they were anything close to .500 because you completely whiffed on their pitching. And it didn't take a lot of prescience to figure their offense would improve after a team-wide batting slump in 2020. Basically, you didn't foresee every single good thing that happened this year. None of that is news. However, that's a you problem, not that the team being what it is was something unforeseeable.

The Reds need a lot more offense. They got some sweet gifts from India, Naquin, and even Barnhart for a couple months, but Cast is gone, Winker is brittle, and India is probably more of a .750 guy when the smoke all clears. Votto will be 38. The offense will be a smoking crater on October 1.
    The offense could use some more firepower, and definitely more depth, but they had a very good 2021 overall. Their big slump and injuries are why they couldn't take advantage of the weaker schedule but for 5 months they raked. Even if you want to chalk it up to the GABP factor, they still have a higher team OBP than the Brewers and Cardinals.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?