Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball America Arizona Complex League Top 10 Prospects (2 Reds)

Baseball America Arizona Complex League Top 10 Prospects (2 Reds)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-10-prospects/

Elly De La Cruz comes in @ #1.

Jay Allen #10.

2. Likes:

757690 (09-29-2021),DocRed (09-30-2021),M2 (09-29-2021),membengal (10-02-2021),NC Reds (10-02-2021),RED VAN HOT (09-29-2021),Tom Servo (09-29-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball America Arizona Complex League Top 10 Prospects (2 Reds)

Love that both players made the list.

Shocked that Confidan didn't.

I've apparently undervalued Allen. His speed/ power combination and apparent ability to stick in CF is nice to see, as is his patience at the plate and K:BB (12:8 in 75 PA).

Jay Allen is underrated...that cat is special. I like Elly but I'm higher on Jay Allen. The only thing that might make Elly higher is if he is truly an elite defender at SS. That part I do not know.
    Last edited by DocRed; 09-29-2021 at 07:39 PM.

6. Likes:

M2 (09-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Jay Allen is underrated...that cat is special. I like Elly but I'm higher on Jay Allen. The only thing that might make Elly higher is if he is truly an elite defender at SS. That part I do not know.
    I get the impression Elly is more of a 3B, which on the Reds means he can play anywhere.

I've got insta-love for Jay Allen. I adore prep players who step into pro ball like it was nothing.

And Yerlin was robbed!
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

DocRed (09-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Really like Allen's production in small sample, for sure. The SBs get my attention, for sure. So does the glove, which profiles to be well above average.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yerlin was robbed!
    I have to keep reminding myself that he's 18 too.

Lots of young guys in Arizona who hit the ball with authority.

Allen, Confidan, Andruw Salcedo (whom I like as well as any of them based on production alone), Braylin Minier-- all were 18 this season. De La Cruz, Jackson Miller (who got injured early), and Yassel Pino were 19.

All of them showed something interesting and almost assuredly will be in low A Daytona to begin next season. (Or in De La Cruz's case, perhaps higher.)

Elly-Soriano
    Allen- Crawford
    Ceiling comps of course

Quote Originally Posted by LARKIN View Post
    Elly-Soriano
    Allen- Crawford
    Ceiling comps of course
    Pure upside? That's a fun game.

I get Vlad Guerrero, Sr., upside from De La Cruz. At SS.

Allen's speed, defense, and power remind me of Eric Davis.

I get the impression Elly is more of a 3B, which on the Reds means he can play anywhere.

I've got insta-love for Jay Allen. I adore prep players who step into pro ball like it was nothing.
    Agree on Elly. They have so many promising SS sprinkled throughout the minors, I’d like to see him moved to 3B soon and get settled there.

It’s hard not to get too excited about Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Agree on Elly. They have so many promising SS sprinkled throughout the minors, I’d like to see him moved to 3B soon and get settled there.
    Not me.

If De La Cruz can play SS instead of 3B, he's even more valuable there. See if he can handle it. If not, 3B is rather easy to learn (for a former SS).

I'd also consider 2B before 3B and probably CF. (He has plus speed, according to his scouting reports.)

15. Likes:

Benihana (09-30-2021),DocRed (09-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Not me.

If De La Cruz can play SS instead of 3B, he's even more valuable there. See if he can handle it. If not, 3B is rather easy to learn (for a former SS).

I'd also consider 2B before 3B and probably CF. (He has plus speed, according to his scouting reports.)
    With McLain, Torres, Johnson and Minier, I'm not sure Elly's going to get a lot of SS looks. Then again, if he and Hinds are playing on the same team he probably gets a lot of SS looks. Though 3B is thin in the organization beyond those two. I dig the CF idea. He'd insta-erase Michael Siani.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

With McLain, Torres, Johnson and Minier, I'm not sure Elly's going to get a lot of SS looks. Then again, if he and Hinds are playing on the same team he probably gets a lot of SS looks. Though 3B is thin in the organization beyond those two. I dig the CF idea. He'd insta-erase Michael Siani.
    It depends on how the Reds play it with all their infield prospects.

They're most likely to give him at least half a season at low A (unless he absolutely blows up Instructionals). Minier may move up to Daytona to play SS. After pretty much losing out on an entire season, Callihan could get some ABs at 2B there as well. If 3B Hinds stays there for half a season, that'd make De La Cruz a utility guy playing all three infield spots. (He can absolutely do that.) They'd probably make one of them a DH and work through it that way. It'd rest all four guys and keep them fresh while still giving them plenty of ABs and experience. That's the most likely way they'll do it, IMO.

If Hinds moves up to High A (and De La Cruz stays put), he's most likely a 3B-- unless they think Callihan is destined for that spot. Then they could switch. This is probably the second-most likely happening.

They could be aggressive with him, but that would mean they'd be aggressive with all of their SS-- Torres in High A with him, Johnson and McLain in AA after about 25 games in High A apiece. That's pretty unlikely, given the Reds' MO since... oh, the beginning of the 80's.

I'd put him in CF at High A to avoid to logjam and to see if that bat plays.

It's a nice problem to have, honestly.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 10-01-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Turn Off Ads?