Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tucker Barnhart braces for a possible end to his Cincinnati Reds career

Re: Tucker Barnhart braces for a possible end to his Cincinnati Reds career

Kolozsvary has a pretty good glove, no? Any reports on his defensive chops?

I am guessing he’ll be backup catcher next year and the Reds plan on using Stephenson quite a bit between C and 1B the next couple of years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Interesting debate re: Tucker and Reds HOF. His .248 career BA and other offensive numbers don't look great. A likeable fan favorite who played in a rough era of Reds history on some really crappy teams. Not sure the Gold Gloves are enough to get him in.
    Ed Bailey is an interesting comp: left handed hitting catcher with nearly the same number of Reds' PA. Barnhart 2560 PA, Bailey 2616. Barnhart .696 OPS, 83 OPS+; Bailey, .796. 109. Bailey's not in, though, IMO, he should be: second best Reds catcher of my 60+ years of watching the team.

These are the Cincinnati Reds guys. If Barnhart is back for his option price or on a multi-year extension, Stephenson will be pushed to a back-up role. The gold glove veteran catcher making $7.5 Million per year who hits LH will get 100 or so starts behind the plate. The Reds will opt for the higher paid, more experienced guy with the platoon advantage over the kid who makes minimum and is on the wrong side of the platoon. Its the Cincinnati reds. That's just what will happen.

The reds need Stephenson to become a RH Hitting mainstay in the middle of the order. This year he played a lot of 1B, but a lot of that was because Votto was on the IL for a month and Moustakas was out at the same time. Through 160 games this year, Stephenson has made 63 starts behind the plate. If Barnhart is back, I'd figure about that many again next year. He's made 17 starts at 1B. I'm not sure he'll get that many next season unless Votto goes on the IL again.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Kolozsvary has a pretty good glove, no? Any reports on his defensive chops?

I am guessing he’ll be backup catcher next year and the Reds plan on using Stephenson quite a bit between C and 1B the next couple of years.
    I believe the glove is supposed to be pretty good but the bat is not there yet. This was his first year above A ball, in 40 AA games he hit .233 (.780 OPS), then in 19 AAA games he hit .190 (.609 OPS). I'm betting whoever the backup catcher will be isn't in the organization right now.

I think Ron Oester is in it. I’ve not compared numbers but he was not s poor hitter and did not have the gold gloves, but I thought of him as a pretty s erase type player (I was born in !973, so fairly young during his career) so if he is in, I can see Tucker gettin in

Interesting debate re: Tucker and Reds HOF. His .248 career BA and other offensive numbers don't look great. A likeable fan favorite who played in a rough era of Reds history on some really crappy teams. Not sure the Gold Gloves are enough to get him in.
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 10-02-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I believe the glove is supposed to be pretty good but the bat is not there yet. This was his first year above A ball, in 40 AA games he hit .233 (.780 OPS), then in 19 AAA games he hit .190 (.609 OPS). I'm betting whoever the backup catcher will be isn't in the organization right now.
    If his glove plays and he can handle the staff, plus the intangibles he likely brings (his time with the US National team is a nice feather in the cap) my guess is it's good enough for the Reds. He'll make the minimum and they can push Stephenson into a more advanced role. Just my guess. He's already on the 40 man, which helps.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I think Ron Oester is in it. I’ve not compared numbers but he was not s poor hitter and did not have the gold gloves, but I thought of him as a pretty s erase type player (I was born in !973, so fairly young during his career) so if he is in, I can see Tucker gettin in
    Interesting comparison. Oester seems like a Reds HOF stretch, but he probably benefits from being a Cincinnati native and playing all 13 of his big league seasons with the Reds. His offensive numbers are slightly better than Barnhart's (.265/.323/.356) and he was on a World Series team.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

9. Likes:

UKFlounder (10-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Ed Bailey is an interesting comp: left handed hitting catcher with nearly the same number of Reds' PA. Barnhart 2560 PA, Bailey 2616. Barnhart .696 OPS, 83 OPS+; Bailey, .796. 109. Bailey's not in, though, IMO, he should be: second best Reds catcher of my 60+ years of watching the team.
    A better comparison would be Johnny Edwards who is also not in the HOF.

"In a fourteen-year major league career, Edwards played in 1,470 games, producing 1,106 hits in 4,577 at bats for a .242 batting average along with 81 home runs, 524 runs batted in and a .311 on-base percentage.[1] A solid defensive player, he had a career fielding percentage of .992 which was 4 points above the league average, helping him earn the National League Gold Glove Award for catchers in 1963 and 1964 [1]

Edwards was voted to three National League All-Star teams in 1963, 1964 and 1965.[1] He led National League catchers in fielding percentage four times in 1963, 1969, 1970 and 1971.[16][17] He also led the league four times in assists and three times in putouts.[1] In 1969, Edwards set single season records for catchers with 1,135 putouts and 1,221 total chances.[18]

Richard Kendall of the Society for American Baseball Research devised an unscientific study that ranked Edwards as the second most dominating fielding catcher in major league history.[19] He caught 109 shutouts during his career, ranking him 22nd all-time among major league catchers.[20] As of the end of the 2016 Major League Baseball season he ranked 86th on the All-Time Intentional Walks List.[21]"
    Wikipedia

11. Likes:

Roy Tucker (10-02-2021)

Interesting comparison. Oester seems like a Reds HOF stretch, but he probably benefits from being a Cincinnati native and playing all 13 of his big league seasons with the Reds. His offensive numbers are slightly better than Barnhart's (.265/.323/.356) and he was on a World Series team.
    Oester also likely benefits from being the only link to the tail end of the BRM era (he was a September callup in 1978 and 1979) and the 1990 World Champion club (his final season).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Oester also likely benefits from being the only link to the tail end of the BRM era (he was a September callup in 1978 and 1979) and the 1990 World Champion club (his final season).
    The Ron OESTER! story in one GIF.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbroznan View Post
    A better comparison would be Johnny Edwards who is also not in the HOF.

"In a fourteen-year major league career, Edwards played in 1,470 games, producing 1,106 hits in 4,577 at bats for a .242 batting average along with 81 home runs, 524 runs batted in and a .311 on-base percentage.[1] A solid defensive player, he had a career fielding percentage of .992 which was 4 points above the league average, helping him earn the National League Gold Glove Award for catchers in 1963 and 1964 [1]

Edwards was voted to three National League All-Star teams in 1963, 1964 and 1965.[1] He led National League catchers in fielding percentage four times in 1963, 1969, 1970 and 1971.[16][17] He also led the league four times in assists and three times in putouts.[1] In 1969, Edwards set single season records for catchers with 1,135 putouts and 1,221 total chances.[18]

Richard Kendall of the Society for American Baseball Research devised an unscientific study that ranked Edwards as the second most dominating fielding catcher in major league history.[19] He caught 109 shutouts during his career, ranking him 22nd all-time among major league catchers.[20] As of the end of the 2016 Major League Baseball season he ranked 86th on the All-Time Intentional Walks List.[21]"
    Wikipedia
    i remember Edwards well. Bailey was a much better player. And much better than Barnhart. I really don't care at all about the Reds Hall, but I do think two of the glaring omissions are Reggie Sanders and Ed Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    i remember Edwards well. Bailey was a much better player. And much better than Barnhart. I really don't care at all about the Reds Hall, but I do think two of the glaring omissions are Reggie Sanders and Ed Bailey.
    They have a bit of a backlog on worthy candidates, due in part to a nine-year span from 1989 to 1997 when they didn't induct any new members. Bailey and Edwards are both worthy candidates, as are Franco and Sanders. Based on their current rules, it will take time, but I think they will all eventually get in. (Personally, I would consider temporarily increasing the number of inductees per year. But it's not my decision.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

17. Likes:

Chip R (10-05-2021),mth123 (10-03-2021),Ron Madden (10-02-2021)

Barnhart is the most overrated Red in recent memory. 2021 was yet another year where his catcher ERA was over half a run high than his counterpart. I think he's had one year as a Red where his catcher ERA was the lower of a tandem. Those two gold gloves don't mean much to me when he's consistently poor at run prevention as a backstop. I'd take Casali over Tucker any day of the week.

I don't know but I think the only above average skill Barnhart has is the ability to block balls in the dirt.

You guys think Barnhart is overrated? Can’t wait to see your comments when Kol is up here batting .180. Really hope TySteve stays healthy.

Turn Off Ads?