Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lot of guys need expunged from this club for next season

Re: Lot of guys need expunged from this club for next season

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I agree with all of this except for Moose - I do hope they poke around for a way to shed some of Moustakas' salary. Might not be possible, will definitely take a lot of creativity, but a healthy Moustakas might intrigue a team needing a veteran infielder on a severe discount.
    I think they will need to send something valuable with Moose to get rid of him. The reds don't have enough depth to deal somebody like Ashcraft or Hendrick with Moose. They need to deal those guys for players who can help now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    Get rid of the loooooooosers :
    Garrett
    Lorenzen
    Moustakas
    Senzel
    Hoffman
    Suarez
    Aquino

If Krall can't find replacements for these duds the organization has no hope. While they are at it dump Krall as well. He left this club high and dry with a freaking weak pen from square one. I posted on here how this pen was bad and how having a solid closer and pen could add 15 games or more to win total. Brewers are 70-4 after leading in sixth inning.
    * Don't see any way they can rid themselves of BOTH Suarez AND Moose. They'll be lucky to move one. Suarez would probably be the one you'd want to retain, but he'd also be the most likely to move.

* While everyone is ready to just jettison Senzel, I can't see the Reds cutting bait on him yet. I think they give him one more shot at staying healthy, producing and at the very least, building some trade value. I wouldn't pencil him into any single spot and would leverage his versatility.

* Aquino is young, cheap has power and bats RH'd. I'd bring him to ST, but would have no trouble waving him is he doesn't win a job.

* Wouldn't dismiss Lorenzen's return out-of-hand, but it would have to be at a VERY reasonable price.

* Hoffman is fungible, IMO.

* I'm so ready to non-tender Garrett.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-04-2021 at 02:56 AM.

4. Likes:

757690 (10-04-2021),Chip R (10-04-2021),REDREAD (10-04-2021)

REGULARS
    1B Votto (L)
    2B India (R)
    SS Barrero (R)
    3B (Suarez (R) [OR] Moustakas (L))
    LF Winker (L)
    CF (Young Acquisition (L/B))
    RF (Retain Castellanos (R) [OR] FA)
    CA Stevenson (R)

BENCH
    IF Farmer (R)
    UT Schrock (L)
    UT Senzel (R)
    OF Naquin (L)
    CA (Sign Casali (R) [OR] Kolozsvary (R) [OR] FA (L/B))
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-04-2021 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Suarez? Granted he's been bad overall but he's been by far the best hitter on this team for over a month now. He's been over a +2.0 bWAR guy during that stretch.
    One month of solid performance doesn't cut it though.11M/year for the next 3 years + 2M buyout in '25. You go into next season hoping, praying, sacrificing dead animals, he rebounds. Rebounds enough to be a positive for this '22 team and/or enough that he's marketable.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

Chip R (10-04-2021),REDREAD (10-04-2021)

Hmm I agree with Senzel and Aquino. Both are disappointments. Lorenzen is a free agent and I wouldn't sign him. Suarez though is a problem. He's been messed up since he had shoulder surgery, and I can't count how many times I've read that it takes two years to come back from that. Moose has Planar Fasciitis, which is painful and hard to come back from. I bet he gets surgery. Hoffman was signed to be a reliever and pitched decently when used in relief. But he should NEVER start another game. Garrett needs to move on. It looks like GABP has messed him up. Akiyama played with health issues all year from what I have read. Cabrera and DeShields are free agents. Then there's Castellanos opting out....

Suarez's last month was phenomenal. Under no circumstances would I support trading him right now.

The Suarez of old is exactly what this team needs post-Castellanos. Is the last month an aberration? Perhaps, but the Reds really can't afford to give him away for nothing if there's a chance he's finally fully back from his shoulder injury. He looked like a completely different player after bottoming out in July/August.

10. Likes:

757690 (10-04-2021),dubc47834 (10-05-2021),mth123 (10-04-2021),REDREAD (10-04-2021)

Garrett
    Lorenzen
    Moustakas
    Senzel
    Hoffman
    Suarez
    Aquino

If Krall can't find replacements for these duds the organization has no hope. While they are at it dump Krall as well. He left this club high and dry with a freaking weak pen from square one. I posted on here how this pen was bad and how having a solid closer and pen could add 15 games or more to win total. Brewers are 70-4 after leading in sixth inning.
    Garrett is really the only loser on that list. Everyone else is fine. Suarez isn't a loser, he just sucks but he can also go.

It all ties in with the budget and Reds’ overall plan for next season. Also the CBA negotiations add an element of uncertainty.

Whatever happens, I expect Castellanos, Givens, Lorenzen, Barnhart to move into free agency. Likely all gone.I expect Garrett to be non-tendered.

Beyond that, I don’t see clear departure cases except forty man roster moves of marginal AAAA types, if any remain.

Moose, almost impossible to make a helpful trade. Akiyama similar. Aquino 50-50 since he’s still pre-arb. Hoffman has value as a swing man. Senzel is 50-50, he’s a “sell low” guy. Naquin has value, likely stays.

Reds could get a decent offer for Suarez in light of his good September, but I doubt anything comes of it. He’s not that expensive and doubt the offer would be compelling.

Beyond that, there could be trades for baseball purposes - valuable players whom Reds trade because they like the return. We’ve debated moving a starting pitcher, which would be in this category. Can’t predict these.

I expect the off-season acquisition needs to be primarily outfield and bullpen.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-04-2021 at 09:01 AM.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2021)

"So Fla Red"

Excommunicate all the loosers... Only bring in winners. Go Rheds 2022...

15. Likes:

Chip R (10-04-2021),Hoosier Red (10-04-2021),REDREAD (10-04-2021)

I woul dlike freeman osich garcia,, cabrera and heineman back?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    One month of solid performance doesn't cut it though.11M/year for the next 3 years + 2M buyout in '25. You go into next season hoping, praying, sacrificing dead animals, he rebounds. Rebounds enough to be a positive for this '22 team and/or enough that he's marketable.
    You act like the team has a choice paying that. You should get the money out of your head as that money is sunk and the team is never getting it back barring a trade. The only way you are getting rid of Geno is to package prospects for a team to eat his salary. He's a prime bounce back candidate IMO as he just turned 30 and has a long track record of performance. This isn't Aquino who has one quality month of baseball in his entire career.
    Last edited by DocRed; 10-04-2021 at 10:47 AM.

18. Likes:

HokieRed (10-04-2021),JFLegal (10-05-2021),mth123 (10-04-2021),RedForLife (10-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It all ties in with the budget and Reds’ overall plan for next season. Also the CBA negotiations add an element of uncertainty.

Whatever happens, I expect Castellanos, Givens, Lorenzen, Barnhart to move into free agency. Likely all gone.I expect Garrett to be non-tendered.

Beyond that, I don’t see clear departure cases except forty man roster moves of marginal AAAA types, if any remain.

Moose, almost impossible to make a helpful trade. Akiyama similar. Aquino 50-50 since he’s still pre-arb. Hoffman has value as a swing man. Senzel is 50-50, he’s a “sell low” guy. Naquin has value, likely stays.

Reds could get a decent offer for Suarez in light of his good September, but I doubt anything comes of it. He’s not that expensive and doubt the offer would be compelling.

Beyond that, there could be trades for baseball purposes - valuable players whom Reds trade because they like the return. We’ve debated moving a starting pitcher, which would be in this category. Can’t predict these.

I expect the off-season acquisition needs to be primarily outfield and bullpen.
    Mostly agree. Shogo is in his last year and that money is gone whether they keep him or not. Since Friedl is bascally the same guy (except younger with more upside), I'd cut Shogo loose to make room on the roster. Blandino and Hendrix are other guys who don't get to keep the 40 man spot IMO. I'd non-tender Aquino as well as Garrett. I'd try to trade them first, but I don't know the deadlines for those decisions. I also don't know the opt out deadline for Castellanios or the Option decision for Barnhart and Miley. They don't have a ton they need to add to protect from Rule 5, but Antone and Senzel on the 60 day DL will need spots as will Brandon Bailey if they decide to keep him (I assume they will) and Hunter Greene needs protected.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    You act like the team has a choice paying that. You should get the money out of your head as that money is sunk and the team is never getting it back barring a trade. The only way you are getting rid of Geno is to package prospects for a team to eat his salary. He's a prime bounce back candidate IMO as he just turned 30 and has a long track record of performance. This isn't Aquino who has one quality month of baseball in his entire career.
    I agree. Honestly, the Reds are losing a lot of production from Castellanos. They don't have the money to make that up and even if they did, they need to prioritize a more well rounded player or two for teh OF mix and likely won't get teh mega-offense tehy got from Castellanos. The mostly likely spot where teh Reds will make that up next year through a bounceback from Suarez and maybe Senzel and Moose as well. They are much more likely to get value by keeping them than from any flawed player theu may be able to afford by dealing and trying to replace them.

22. Likes:

DocRed (10-04-2021),REDREAD (10-04-2021),wlf WV (10-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Suarez's last month was phenomenal. Under no circumstances would I support trading him right now.

The Suarez of old is exactly what this team needs post-Castellanos. Is the last month an aberration? Perhaps, but the Reds really can't afford to give him away for nothing if there's a chance he's finally fully back from his shoulder injury. He looked like a completely different player after bottoming out in July/August.
    It depends. I agree Suarez had an encouraging finish.
    But let's assume Moose's foot can heal (huge assumption, I know).
    Maybe Suarez finished strong enough for the team to deal him and use his money to get an OF or relievers.
    Now if the Reds would just pocket the money from the Suarez trade, then yes, keep him.
    If Moose is so hurt that he can't start anymore, then you probably keep Suarez too.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Mostly agree. Shogo is in his last year and that money is gone whether they keep him or not. Since Friedl is bascally the same guy (except younger with more upside), I'd cut Shogo loose to make room on the roster. Blandino and Hendrix are other guys who don't get to keep the 40 man spot IMO. I'd non-tender Aquino as well as Garrett. I'd try to trade them first, but I don't know the deadlines for those decisions. I also don't know the opt out deadline for Castellanios or the Option decision for Barnhart and Miley. They don't have a ton they need to add to protect from Rule 5, but Antone and Senzel on the 60 day DL will need spots as will Brandon Bailey if they decide to keep him (I assume they will) and Hunter Greene needs protected.
    yes, no reason at all to bring back either AA or Shogo.. They are awful and aren't likely to get better.
    Honestly, I would much rather bring back DeShields as the 5th OF if he's not too expensive (I doubt he will be).
    Deshields hit LH pitching well this year in a tiny sample. Career he's a 329 OBP And 713 OPS vs lefties.. A flea, but a lot better than AA or Shogo. Plus he can play defense better than either Shogo or AA.
    Note, I agree Deshields is not a great player, I am just saying of the guys we have, I'd rather him be the 5th OF (ie bench guy, not starter)
    Schrock has a promising bat, but I never want to see him play OF again.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

25. Likes:

Chip R (10-04-2021),mth123 (10-04-2021)

Turn Off Ads?