Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castellanos discusses future in Cincinnati

Castellanos discusses future in Cincinnati

Once the Reds were eliminated from the postseason Tuesday, Reds right fielder Nick Castellanos started giving more thought to his future. Castellanos can exercise an opt-out clause from his four-year, $64 million contract in the offseason, but he hasn’t made his decision yet.

Castellanos plans to have conversations with his wife, Jess, and his agent, Scott Boras, after the season.

“I don’t know what I want,” Castellanos said. “There is so much information that I’m going to take in. I also have to take into mind the status of the game. The Collective Bargaining Agreement is now coming up. Once I take a step back from the season and have some days at home with my family and I’m able to just hang out with my wife, dog and kid, and we can just talk about what happened and get as much information as I can.”

This could be Castellanos’ second foray into the free-agent market after he went through it following the 2019 season before signing with Cincinnati in January 2020. He knows it could be a stressful winter trying to figure out where he wants to play.

“These are major decisions,” Castellanos said. “You have to balance everything that you possibly can: How much you like where you’re playing, how close it is to home because I’m co-parenting, where the organization is in the spot to compete, and obviously, the financial part of it is important as well. It’s a balance of all of that, which will [help] make the best decision possible. It could very well be here in Cincinnati. The bargaining agreement could go to [pot] and I’m not in a spot to opt out, so I have no idea what’s going to happen.

I don’t know what is going to happen, but this has been the most consistent, happiest I’ve been playing baseball ... my 2021 season.”
    Read entire article:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/nick-castel...ture-with-reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Castellanos discusses future in Cincinnati

He’s made his decision, he’s opting out.

No point in listening to him say he hasn’t yet decided.

4. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (10-03-2021),gagliano (10-02-2021),JFLegal (10-03-2021),RedsFanInMS (10-03-2021),Revering4Blue (10-02-2021),texasdave (10-03-2021),Tom Servo (10-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Bye bye nick

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    He’s made his decision, he’s opting out.

No point in listening to him say he hasn’t yet decided.
    Correction: Scott Boros made his decision. Cast is opting out.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

7. Likes:

Jim (10-03-2021),SomeCallMeTim (10-03-2021)

Nah, he is staying. Note the comment about the CBA process. Will choose happiness and security over risk is an uncertain time.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

You don't hire Scott Boras if you want money left on the table.
    Go Gators!

10. Likes:

757690 (10-03-2021),Bunting Bad (10-03-2021),M2 (10-03-2021),mth123 (10-03-2021),Revering4Blue (10-03-2021),texasdave (10-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    You don't hire Scott Boras if you want money left on the table.
    I agree. Nick will be 30 years old before the season starts. It will more than likely be his last big contract. He structured his contract so that he could take advantage of a breakout season. He had one. Good for him.

12. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (10-03-2021)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

He’s gone, and I can live with it. Unless the castellini crew just pockets the money instead of spending it elsewhere.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Correction: Scott Boros made his decision. Cast is opting out.
    I hate it when people say this. Its backwards. The reason a player hires Scott Boras is because they've already decided they want to maximize their earnings. Boras isn't telling these guys what to do, Players are hiring him because that is what they want to do. If a player didn't have that mindset going in, they wouldn't hire Scott Boras in the first place. Boras did his job by getting the opt out included in the contract in the first place.

If the Reds could find even one guy in their front office who does his job as well as Scott Boras does his, we'd all be a lot happier.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Chip R (10-04-2021),RedsBrick (10-03-2021),Revering4Blue (10-03-2021),UKWhoDey (10-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I hate it when people say this. Its backwards. The reason a player hires Scott Boras is because they've already decided they want to maximize their earnings. Boras isn't telling these guys what to do, Players are hiring him because that is what they want to do. If a player didn't have that mindset going in, they wouldn't hire Scott Boras in the first place. Boras did his job by getting the opt out included in the contract in the first place.

If the Reds could find even one guy in their front office who does his job as well as Scott Boras does his, we'd all be a lot happier.
    You’re giving athletes too much credit for thinking. Most do whatever their agent tells them. They hire an agent so they don’t have to think about this stuff. Remember most professional athletes are the jocks you went to high school with, they aren’t deep thinkers.

Btw, the job of every agent is to maximize earnings. Boros isn’t any different from other agents in this regard.

Haunted by walks

It’s been great to watch, but what if the Reds were smart or lucky and got Castellanos’ career year, then he regresses for someone else?

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-03-2021),Chip R (10-04-2021),DocRed (10-03-2021),HammerTime (10-03-2021),Tom Servo (10-03-2021),westofyou (10-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You’re giving athletes too much credit for thinking. Most do whatever their agent tells them. They hire an agent so they don’t have to think about this stuff. Remember most professional athletes are the jocks you went to high school with, they aren’t deep thinkers.

Btw, the job of every agent is to maximize earnings. Boros isn’t any different from other agents in this regard.
    Bull. These players may listen to their agenst advise because they care about their careers and wantt to maximize, but they aren't being told what to do, Honestly, if a guy was happy where he is, he can live a very comfortable life without an agent. Why even hire one? This is thier profession. They are alllowed to make money and hiring an agent is consistent with that goal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-03-2021)

When does he have to declare by? nm.....looks like 5 days after WS is over. So ya I think Boras has decided...
    Last edited by DocRed; 10-03-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Bull. These players may listen to their agenst advise because they care about their careers and wantt to maximize, but they aren't being told what to do, Honestly, if a guy was happy where he is, he can live a very comfortable life without an agent. Why even hire one? This is thier profession. They are alllowed to make money and hiring an agent is consistent with that goal.
    You’re projecting yourself, your intelligence level, your level of long term, deep thinking, to MLB players.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It’s been great to watch, but what if the Reds were smart or lucky and got Castellanos’ career year, then he regresses for someone else?
    That's possible, but it's still creates a huge hole in the middle of the lineup heading into next year. With that said, he's been a fairly consistent hitter since 2016. Obviously playing in GABP instead of Detroit led to improved offensive numbers.

You can't get the same production on the FA market for $14-16 mil/year.

The biggest issue is that I have no faith in this organization to reallocate the money effectively, if at all.

Turn Off Ads?