Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castellanos discusses future in Cincinnati

Re: Castellanos discusses future in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It’s been great to watch, but what if the Reds were smart or lucky and got Castellanos’ career year, then he regresses for someone else?
    Very possible....plus we are gonna get a very nice Round A comp pick for him. I certainly wouldn't throw the world at him to get him to stay. I could see the Reds adding 1 more year to his contract though which wouldn't be awful. I think Cast and Boras are gonna quickly realize that the market for a below average defensive outfielder isn't nearly as robust as they would like to believe it is.

2. Likes:

757690 (10-03-2021),Ron Madden (10-03-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunting Bad View Post
    I agree. Nick will be 30 years old before the season starts. It will more than likely be his last big contract. He structured his contract so that he could take advantage of a breakout season. He had one. Good for him.
    There's no reason he can't get around $100 mil depending on the number of years.

The DH presumably taking hold in the NL makes him even more valuable.

5. Likes:

HokieRed (10-03-2021),Kinsm (10-03-2021),Revering4Blue (10-03-2021),Ron Madden (10-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You’re giving athletes too much credit for thinking. Most do whatever their agent tells them. They hire an agent so they don’t have to think about this stuff. Remember most professional athletes are the jocks you went to high school with, they aren’t deep thinkers.

Btw, the job of every agent is to maximize earnings. Boros isn’t any different from other agents in this regard.
    Can’t believe “dumb jocks” is still a stereotype. Some of the jocks I went to HS with have the following job title:

Engineer specializing in rocket propulsion at NASA (literal rocket scientist)
    Economist at the Bureau of Economics - has reported to the POTUS
    MD (5 of these)
    Neurosurgeon
    Lawyers
    Mechanical Engineers
    Etc
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 10-03-2021 at 12:26 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-03-2021),Roy Tucker (10-08-2021),texasdave (10-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Very possible....plus we are gonna get a very nice Round A comp pick for him. I certainly wouldn't throw the world at him to get him to stay. I could see the Reds adding 1 more year to his contract though which wouldn't be awful. I think Cast and Boras are gonna quickly realize that the market for a below average defensive outfielder isn't nearly as robust as they would like to believe it is.
    But we don't know if the QO and round A comp pick will be included in the new CBA

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    There's no reason he can't get around $100 mil depending on the number of years.

The DH presumably taking hold in the NL makes him even more valuable.
    Castellanos says he hates to have to DH, says he loves and wants to play RF.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-03-2021)

He's likely gone, but he's a mixed bag moving forward because of his agent, age, his extreme splits and his defensive flaws.

I enjoy his intensity and it was nice to have RH hitter with plus power and batting average but I cringe to watch him play OF and I cringe to watch Winker out there too. If the choice is one of them and getting some real outfielders then I choose Winker

12. Likes:

Chip R (10-04-2021),HokieRed (10-03-2021),Mitri (10-03-2021),Revering4Blue (10-03-2021),Ron Madden (10-03-2021),Tom Servo (10-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    But we don't know if the QO and round A comp pick will be included in the new CBA

If he opts out before 12/1 the move should be covered under the existing rules of the contract is my thought

14. Likes:

DocRed (10-03-2021),Revering4Blue (10-03-2021),Ron Madden (10-03-2021)

I think Castellanos is a great hitter. He’s not very good at everything else. He’s really a DH that plays OF, I don’t think he has as much value as people think.

16. Likes:

DocRed (10-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think Castellanos is a great hitter. He’s not very good at everything else. He’s really a DH that plays OF, I don’t think he has as much value as people think.
    Agree. I think he tops out at $18M a year and probably less. Keep in mind attendance is still nowhere near 2019 levels. If he were a good defender he would fetch $20M+

They should have asked his wife.

Wishful thinking that he’d take 16 million instead of approximately 100 million, and I don’t think the Reds are that minded.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Agree. I think he tops out at $18M a year and probably less. Keep in mind attendance is still nowhere near 2019 levels. If he were a good defender he would fetch $20M+
    J.D. Martinez - a better hitter but a much worse defender than Cast - got a 5/22 per contract with two player opt outs four years ago entering his age 30 season (the same age Cast will be).

Cast just signed a 4/16 per contract - no reason to believe he won't improve on that just two years later.

FA pays youth, Castellanos is still extremely young in comparison to most free agents.

The best ballplayers in the game are on the verge of making 40M$ per, 20M$ is not as outrageous as a lot of people seem to think.

There is no reason to believe Boras can't come close to J.D.'s contract, if not surpass it, 48 months after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    J.D. Martinez - a better hitter but a much worse defender than Cast - got a 5/22 per contract with two player opt outs four years ago entering his age 30 season (the same age Cast will be).

Cast just signed a 4/16 per contract - no reason to believe he won't improve on that just two years later.

FA pays youth, Castellanos is still extremely young in comparison to most free agents.

The best ballplayers in the game are on the verge of making 40M$ per, 20M$ is not as outrageous as a lot of people seem to think.

There is no reason to believe Boras can't come close to J.D.'s contract, if not surpass it, 48 months after the fact.
    4 years ago was a different world

21. Likes:

Chip R (10-04-2021),DocRed (10-03-2021)

Can’t believe “dumb jocks” is still a stereotype. Some of the jocks I went to HS with have the following job title:

Engineer specializing in rocket propulsion at NASA (literal rocket scientist)
    Economist at the Bureau of Economics - has reported to the POTUS
    MD (5 of these)
    Neurosurgeon
    Lawyers
    Mechanical Engineers
    Etc
    Awesome. There are always exceptions. See Joey Votto.

If you want to argue that most MLB players would be doctors, engineers and economists if they didn’t play baseball, have fun
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4 years ago was a different world
    Yes it was. And like every 4 years ago from whatever today is - contract values go up!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Yes it was. And like every 4 years ago from whatever today is - contract values go up!
    You’re burying your head in the sand if you don’t think the pandemic has had a negative effect on baseball contracts. Especially flawed players.

Turn Off Ads?