Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Movies and TV Shows About to Shut Down

Movies and TV Shows About to Shut Down

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/04/enter...ion/index.html

CNN) Members of the union representing roughly 60,000 film and television workers have voted to authorize a strike that could shutter Hollywood productions indefinitely.

The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees union president Matthew Loeb announced the results on Monday.

"The members have spoken loud and clear," said Loeb. "This vote is about the quality of life as well as the health and safety of those who work in the film and television industry. Our people have basic human needs like time for meal breaks, adequate sleep, and a weekend. For those at the bottom of the pay scale, they deserve nothing less than a living wage."
    Apparently this was overwhelmingly popular amongst the union members. 90% voted and 98% said strike.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Movies and TV Shows About to Shut Down

I read somewhere that most of these workers make around 40,000 or 50,000 a year. My first reaction was millionaire actors striking. But it looks like this is other workers.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

This IATSE strike is mostly about streaming vs. theatrical and network shows.

Theatrical and network shows were always considered more legit, more profitable, so their union contracts are much stricter and have higher wages than the streaming contract. Now that that has shifted, with streaming being more profitable, the crew members want the streaming contract to be as strict and pay as well as the theatrical and network ones. Which makes sense.

There is a huge difference between the two contracts, and it’s not just money, though the money difference is huge. The big differences are things like lunch breaks, overtime, turnaround time, number of days in a row working, travel expenses, safety concerns, etc.. Very little of that is even covered by the streaming contract, and what is covered has very light regulation.

And these are the crew members, the ones who do the most work, get paid the least, and get fired the quickest. I am 100% in favor of this strike, even if it means one of my projects gets shut down.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

5. Likes:

919191 (10-17-2021)

They call me "chef"

I’m happy they’re striking but it’s also bittersweet as I’m currently working on a documentary called The Man Who Could Argue About Anything Until the End of Time.

7. Likes:

Chip R (10-13-2021),dfs (10-06-2021)

They are not yet striking - they took a strike vote and are using that as something to have in their back pocket during negotiations.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I’m happy they’re striking but it’s also bittersweet as I’m currently working on a documentary called The Man Who Could Argue About Anything Until the End of Time.
    I'd sea that.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

10. Likes:

dfs (10-06-2021),marcshoe (10-06-2021)

https://deadline.com/2021/10/hollywo...ct-1234850563/

Hollywood Strike Averted As IATSE & AMPTP Reach Deal On New Film & TV Contract
    Looking at the press release, it seems most of the major issues were dealt with fairly. However, reading the comments on the IATSE social media, (which are now turned off and deleted) some members are not happy with the deal that has been announced. However again, these are internet comments, the least reliable souce of information in the universe.

I am interested in seeing the actual deal.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

12. Likes:

Chip R (10-19-2021),RedTeamGo! (10-18-2021)

Turn Off Ads?