Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Longtime umpire Joe West to retire after 2021 postseason

Longtime umpire Joe West to retire after 2021 postseason

When he screws up let's hope it goes against St. Louis
    Infamous MLB umpire Joe West has officially informed the league he will retire following the 2021 postseason, ESPN reported Monday.

West enters the postseason having umped 10 league championship series and six World Series. He will reportedly be behind the dish for Wednesday's NL wild-card matchup between the Los Angeles Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals.

Although West is regarded by many within the game as one of the best, he has long been a controversial figure for fans and pundits.
    Read More:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 10-04-2021 at 05:22 PM.

2. Likes:

goldglover9 (10-04-2021),MR X (10-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Longtime umpire Joe West to retire after 2021 postseason

I can see how that call was made on LeMahieu. The baseball could have cut across the plate. I’m still for robo balls and strikes.
    May the Lord bless

5. Likes:

mbgrayson (10-04-2021)

Good...

7. Likes:

Chip R (10-05-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

9. Likes:

Chip R (10-05-2021),Ron Madden (10-05-2021)

I used to like umps with a little character like West. Before he got old and crotchety, the Country Joe thing was kinda fun.

But hi-def video and replay have exposed the lousy balls and strikes umps and Joe is one of them. That overrides the character thing pretty fast.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-05-2021)

The modern day Umps are bad enough but the od school guys are even worse and I'm only talking about the way they call games and the metrics that prove them to be inferior. Shoulda fired them all..

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I used to like umps with a little character like West. Before he got old and crotchety, the Country Joe thing was kinda fun.

But hi-def video and replay have exposed the lousy balls and strikes umps and Joe is one of them. That overrides the character thing pretty fast.
    Spot on. K-zone and 3d reality have made even more damning.

Lets face it, the human eye is a mircale but to perceive a quarter inch difference of a moving object at 90-102 mph is guessing at best.

Time for the tech.

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-05-2021),goldglover9 (10-04-2021),Roy Tucker (10-06-2021)

Turn Off Ads?