Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: GM Nick Krall: The 2022 budget is the 1st priority for the Cincinnati Reds off-season

Re: GM Nick Krall: The 2022 budget is the 1st priority for the Cincinnati Reds off-se

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm not against trading for Marte, but at a minimum you're giving up either Lodolo or Greene, McLain, and another top prospect like De La Cruz or Allen.
    I think Hendrick and Senzel would get their foot in the door. Marte's the kind of guy the Cardinals acquire for pocket link and spare paper clips.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: GM Nick Krall: The 2022 budget is the 1st priority for the Cincinnati Reds off-se

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Using Votto primarily as a DH seems pretty dumb when they have a bunch of other poor defenders at positions that have a much larger impact on overall team defense.

You can think Moustakas could be a good 1B, but his ratings there have been pretty poor in the 15 games he's started there for the Reds.

If someone is going to push Votto to DH at times during the season, it's should be Stephenson.
    Winker will be the only questionable fielder for the Reds besides Votto in 2022, and over the last three years, Winker has been around average in LF. He and Votto are about equal. The problem with making Winker the DH is that the Reds now have to find another OF to replace him. Right now, he’s the only legitimate starting OF they have. Make him the DH, and the Reds need to find an entire new OF.

Make Votto the DH, Moose or Suarez slides in there, and there is no need to find a new starter.

Moose was hurt last year, so I’m not paying attention to any of his stats. But a 3B moving to 1B usually is an easy transition.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Make Votto the DH, Moose or Suarez slides in there, and there is no need to find a new starter.
    All that sentence is doing is giving me nausea.

Winker will be the only questionable fielder for the Reds besides Votto in 2022, and over the last three years, Winker has been around average in LF. He and Votto are about equal. The problem with making Winker the DH is that the Reds now have to find another OF to replace him. Right now, he’s the only legitimate starting OF they have. Make him the DH, and the Reds need to find an entire new OF.

Moose was hurt last year, so I’m not paying attention to any of his stats. But a 3B moving to 1B usually is an easy transition.
    Winker has been below average in LF. Go take a look at some of the 1B defensive stats and you'll be surprised how Votto rates in some of those categories. The defensive positions aren't equal, especially when the Reds still don't have an actual CF on the roster.

Moustakas played 1B in 2020 and 2021. You can ignore the stats if you want, but he was poor defensively and he can't stay on the field. And when he was, he stunk offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Winker has been below average in LF. Go take a look at some of the 1B defensive stats and you'll be surprised how Votto rates in some of those categories. The defensive positions aren't equal, especially when the Reds still don't have an actual CF on the roster.

Moustakas played 1B in 2020 and 2021. You can ignore the stats if you want, but he was poor defensively and he can't stay on the field. And when he was, he stunk offensively.
    Votto was terrible last year, -13.6 UZR/150

Looking at the last three seasons of Votto and Winker defensively, and everyone says you need to look at three season to have a decent understanding of a fielder, Votto is at around -1 UZR total, and Winker is at around -4 UZR total. Pretty close, imo.

Btw, Moose has 155 innings at 1B, which means the stats mean nothing, and total -1.5 UZR. He actually was above average last year, 6.1 UZR/150 but was horrendous in 2020, -29 UZR/150. I have no problem betting Moose being an above average 1B, if he ever was a full time starter there.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Ketel Marte should NOT stay in CF. He doesn't have the range for it.
    Well, tell that to Naquin, Shogo, Senzel, Aquino, etc. He’s not perfect, but the Reds are pretty comfortable trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. What other options are out there? They’re limited on money and prospects. It’s going to be challenging for sure and I doubt they’ll be able to pull off multiple transactions to fill out the OF. Given the Reds budget “concerns”, I’m not sure what better option is out there.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm not against trading for Marte, but at a minimum you're giving up either Lodolo or Greene, McLain, and another top prospect like De La Cruz or Allen.
    I think that’s a fair trade for a sure hitter like Marte. You would just hope the Reds guessed right when trading either Greene/Lodolo. Losing McLain+, most likely, wouldn’t hurt the Reds that much long term.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Btw, Moose has 155 innings at 1B, which means the stats mean nothing, and total -1.5 UZR.
    But you're making 406 innings of Votto playing 1B in 2020 do a lot of heavy lifting, even after this season transpired and turned that 2020 sample into pure noise.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    But you're making 406 innings of Votto playing 1B in 2020 do a lot of heavy lifting, even after this season transpired and turned that 2020 sample into pure noise.
    I am not. I am simply adding up the last three seasons. Those 406 innings count the same as any other 406 innings over the last three seasons. Over the past three seasons, Votto is right about average at -1 UZR.

Btw, there is a over abundance of noise in all fielding metrics, big margin of errors, so I feel kinda icky even using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Well, tell that to Naquin, Shogo, Senzel, Aquino, etc. He’s not perfect, but the Reds are pretty comfortable trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. What other options are out there? They’re limited on money and prospects. It’s going to be challenging for sure and I doubt they’ll be able to pull off multiple transactions to fill out the OF. Given the Reds budget “concerns”, I’m not sure what better option is out there.
    I'd stick Friedl there over Marte and lose no sleep over it. Feel free to go after a discount fly chaser (Robles has been mentioned). Defense with a maybe bat comes pretty cheap.

I'd love the Reds to get Marte, but they've got to understand what he is and what he isn't. His hip issue torched his range this season. Statcast has him as the worst regular CF in MLB in terms of defense. DRS has his as the next to worst guy. Maybe he rebounds from that, but relying on it strikes me as reckless. Stick him in a corner where he'll get less wear and tear and where his glove should be fine.

12. Likes:

Redhook (10-12-2021),Revering4Blue (10-12-2021)

I am not. I am simply adding up the last three seasons. Those 406 innings count the same as any other 406 innings over the last three seasons. Over the past three seasons, Votto is right about average at -1 UZR.

Btw, there is a over abundance of noise in all fielding metrics, big margin of errors, so I feel kinda icky even using them.
    And he had a terrible spell in August of 2020 that he couldn't erase due to the short season. Yet the evidence from before and after 2020 tell a consistent story: Joey Votto is a perfectly acceptable 1B. Complete non-issue.

I'll also note that if you think Moose's salary is going to buy him a daily job no matter what (and it shouldn't), then Votto's salary is going to buy him the bulk of the starts at 1B no matter what.

Sorry oops

"So Fla Red"

Name:  reds piggy bank.jpeg
Views: 221
Size:  10.3 KB

Krall's new Piggy Bank

16. Likes:

DocRed (10-12-2021),REDREAD (10-12-2021)

Turn Off Ads?