Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Post-Season General Discussion

Re: MLB Post-Season General Discussion

Worst hitter in the NL just smoked a single in the 9th to maybe send the Dodgers to the NLCS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Worst hitter in the NL just smoked a single in the 9th to maybe send the Dodgers to the NLCS
    Felt like Geno coming up with a series clinching hit if we had made it. Belli has been so bad this year.

I still expect the Giants to pull this out one way or another, because they have done it all year long.

Will roboumps call check swings?

Asking for a friend.

5. Likes:

Mitri (10-15-2021),Ron Madden (10-15-2021)

man Scherzer was almost certainly going to finish him off but you can't end the game on that call, terrible.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

Ironman92 (10-15-2021),kaldaniels (10-15-2021),Mitri (10-15-2021),MR X (10-15-2021),Red Raindog (10-15-2021),Redsfan6272 (10-15-2021),Ron Madden (10-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    man Scherzer was almost certainly going to finish him off but you can't end the game on that call, terrible.
    I’m a quiet guy watching games but I loudly gasped when I saw the side angle on that.

9. Likes:

Chip R (10-15-2021),Red Raindog (10-15-2021),Ron Madden (10-15-2021),Tom Servo (10-15-2021)

That wasnt even close to a go around with the bat on a check swing... i hate the Dodgers..umps helped on that pitch...

11. Likes:

MR X (10-15-2021)

Yikes. Atrocious call to end it by Morales….I’m not betting against Scherzer with a 1-2 count but can’t call that.

13. Likes:

MR X (10-15-2021),Red Raindog (10-15-2021),Ron Madden (10-15-2021)

I was cheering for the Dodgers, but that was brutal.

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-15-2021)

There is no official definition of what swing is in the rule book, it’s 100% up the the ump’s discretion. But it’s hard to justify that call.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

Red Raindog (10-15-2021),Ron Madden (10-15-2021)

I swear to God there is somebody in charge who who is intentionally trying to screw baseball up.
    And I can't say I was thrilled about the best team in baseball starting a relief pitcher and going all Tampa Bay when they've got an exciting young 20 game winner ready to pitch.
    And of course it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I swear to God there is somebody in charge who who is intentionally trying to screw baseball up.
    And I can't say I was thrilled about the best team in baseball starting a relief pitcher and going all Tampa Bay when they've got an exciting young 20 game winner ready to pitch.
    And of course it worked.
    Urias going 4 in the middle of the game was the key to making that work.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Urias going 4 in the middle of the game was the key to making that work.
    Not a question of "making it work". The shift works great. So does taking 10 minutes between pitches. But its turns off the casual fans. Baseball just shooting itself in the foot.

Plus its one thing for a team with a $10 payroll like the Rays to try and eke out an advantage, its another thing when the best team in baseball pulls this stuff in a deciding post season game.

Not a question of "making it work". The shift works great. So does taking 10 minutes between pitches. But its turns off the casual fans. Baseball just shooting itself in the foot.

Plus its one thing for a team with a $10 payroll like the Rays to try and eke out an advantage, its another thing when the best team in baseball pulls this stuff in a deciding post season game.
    I was talking about using the opener strategy. If 3-4 different guys had to cover Urias' innings, I suspect the Giants would have been scoring more. I wasn't offended by the game itself. Two best pitching teams in baseball, and it showed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

22. Likes:

westofyou (10-15-2021)

And of course it worked.
    Losing Kershaw hurt them, they had nineteen guys make starts this year, May went down, Bauer is gone, Gonsolin wasn't going to get the ball, David Price is an expensive relief doorstop now.

Starting Knebal takes an arrow out of the Giants quiver, they platoon like mad and they leverage it quite well. It's not classic baseball, but it has precedent from a century ago Firpo Marberry started Game Three of the 1924 WS after getting the save the day before and only threw three innings, the next game he got another save. In that day that was super weird and just an example of how during these big games your BP gets shorter and shorter as do who you trust in the middle innings.

24. Likes:

M2 (10-15-2021)

surprised you are mad that the dodgers/dave roberts used an excellent strategy. that guy is just a damn good manager. yes, any manager could "win" with that roster. but dave roberts is still one of the best managers in MLB, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?