Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Post-Season General Discussion

Re: MLB Post-Season General Discussion

Ya it was actually a perfect karem to the CFer and a perfect throw. Even then Judge nearly snuck his hand into the plate before the tag. True only 1 out though..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I really don't see what Nevin did wrong.
    He once refused a trade to the Reds. Still unsure whether to be angry or happy about that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

757690 (10-06-2021),Chip R (10-06-2021),Ron Madden (10-06-2021),Tom Servo (10-06-2021),westofyou (10-06-2021)

I think we all need to be emotionally prepared for the Cardinals to upset the Dodgers in tonight's game, on their way to sweeping through the playoffs to win another World Series Championship.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I really want Dusty to get his ring.

7. Likes:

757690 (10-06-2021),CySeymour (10-06-2021),elrojo (10-06-2021),REDREAD (10-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think we all need to be emotionally prepared for the Cardinals to upset the Dodgers in tonight's game, on their way to sweeping through the playoffs to win another World Series Championship.
    Delete your account!!

9. Likes:

757690 (10-06-2021),Chip R (10-06-2021),Kinsm (10-06-2021),Roy Tucker (10-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I’d be updating my resume today if I were Phil Nevin.
    This is just part of a take on that move

https://joeposnanski.substack.com/p/...ng-the-runner-

Now, you could make the argument — as the ESPN crew tried to do — that it took two really good throws to get Judge at the plate, and as such it was worth taking the chance. I admit having no use for that particular argument; these are major league players, the best in the world, and betting on them to make poor throws is like going all-in on the hopes of catching an inside straight. You might get lucky. You probably won’t. And it’s no way to win a baseball game.

But there is an adjacent argument that is interesting: With baseball being SO strikeout-heavy (and the Yankees being such a strikeout-prone team) do you have to take wild chances to get runners home? I mean, if Nevin had held Judge at third, the Yankees would have had runners on first and third*. Take a look at batter splits through the years with runners on first and third:

1991: .304/.339/.439, strike out 13.8% of the time.

2001: .306/.350/.487, strike out 15.2% of the time.

2011: .293/.331/.459, strike out 16.8% of the time.

2021: .276/.323/.458, strike out 20.5% of the time.

You see what I’m getting at here? Your chances of putting the ball in play and scoring runs by getting hits with runners on base was fundamentally different even a few years ago. It has to change your mindset.

If you hold Judge there, you’re counting on getting a hit (or at least a sacrifice fly) from Joey Gallo, who is a player with strengths but also one who is historically terrible at doing either of those things. He’s a lifetime .206 hitter and he hit .160 after coming to the Yankees. And — this is staggering — he has TWO sacrifice flies in his career. Two. That looks like a misprint, doesn’t it?

What you have here are a bunch of guys who strike out a lot … but nobody’s in Gallo’s league when it comes to an inability to lift a fly ball when the team needs it. You can wonder why the Yankees got him, or why they would hit him fifth in the biggest game of the season. But this is where they are. And, if you’re the Yankees, you don’t like your chances of Gallo getting those runs home unless he hits a three-run bomb.

So, if the argument is “look, with the guys we had coming up and with the way the game has changed, our best shot to score there was to hope the Red Sox couldn’t make two throws,” I sort of get it. Desperate times and all that.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-07-2021),Roy Tucker (10-06-2021)

Padres canned Tingler

13. Likes:

DocRed (10-06-2021),Tom Servo (10-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Padres canned Tingler
    Imagine going back in time to inform your younger self that in the future he will type that sentence, that it will make sense and that it won't be NSFW.

15. Likes:

westofyou (10-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Padres canned Tingler
    Scuttlebutt is that they think they need an old school guy with some gravitas and that they want to bring Bochy back home.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Scuttlebutt is that they think they need an old school guy with some gravitas and that they want to bring Bochy back home.
    Or Buck... Unsure if Bochy and Preller are a fit though

I’ve had that thought. Someone in the Cardinals organization sold their soul to The Devil.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

19. Likes:

757690 (10-06-2021),Ron Madden (10-06-2021)

How true. Only divine intervention can explain the Cardinals' run.

With the caveat that anything can happen, I fully expect the Cardinals general blandness to catch up to them at some point. Might not be tonight, mainly because you can never tell in a one-shot playoff, but they've got nothing but much better teams than them the rest of the way.

Go Dodgers! Although I must admit I was tempted to bet the Cardinals at -219.

EDIT: Aww screw it I bet the Cards. I win either way now!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    With the caveat that anything can happen, I fully expect the Cardinals general blandness to catch up to them at some point. Might not be tonight, mainly because you can never tell in a one-shot playoff, but they've got nothing but much better teams than them the rest of the way.
    I think it'll catch up with them tonight. And then we'll get to watch the Giants calmly and methodically dismantle the Dodgers.

Turn Off Ads?