Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Post-Season General Discussion

Re: MLB Post-Season General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Pretty close. I was rooting for the Cardinals so bad in that series.
    I was in college and was watching it in the dorm. I thought LaSorda was going to have a stroke when Ozzie hit that homer. I loved it too!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    With the excitement of the wild card games the last two nights, you can see why TV execs value the playoffs more than the regular season.
    “Baseball exists to be enjoyed … it doesn’t have any other purpose.”

~ Bill James

5. Likes:

CaiGuy (10-07-2021),Chip R (10-07-2021),Edd Roush (10-11-2021),M2 (10-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    A Mahle extension would probably look something like 6,12,18,18,18,18,18 give or take a mil or two per season and maybe plus or minus a season. I’d have to spend some significant time looking at FA comps and arb comps to be more secure in an estimate. But you can rest assured it would be significantly more than Senzatela’s extension.
    Just happened across the Aaron Nola extension 4/45 (though probably 5/61 if he stays healthy) - https://www.mlb.com/news/aaron-nola-...ion-c303874434. He signed the deal in 2019 and I think that's probably about as good a comp as we're going to find on buying out arbitration years and adding some FA years. 5/60 with a team option 6th year would seem like a pretty reasonable place to land. That's the Nola deal with the option picked up, and Nola was coming off a monster season when he signed that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Nola was an additional year away from FA when he signed that deal. So to be more comparable to Mahle you’d have to subtract the first season and add one at the back end at FA value.

So a 5 year extension, which is light imho, comped to Nola would be 8, 12, 16, 16, 16
    Last edited by Kinsm; 10-07-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Nola was an additional year away from FA when he signed that deal. So to be more comparable to Mahle you’d have to subtract the first season and add one at the back end at FA value.
    Mahle's starting from a lower salary point though. Going the arb route, he's pretty much going to land in year 5 in the same region where Nola was in year 4. And Nola only has 4/45 in his pocket. 7.5, 7.5, 15, 15, 15 would land Mahle on 5/60. I'm not saying he's sure to accept it, but I think offering a contract Aaron Nola has to work to achieve is pretty reasonable.
    Last edited by M2; 10-07-2021 at 08:47 PM.

But even though he was an extra year of control away, Nola had been more successful than Mahle at that point in his career. Mahle is a year further along, yet has more warts. So I think it’s a fair comp in general.

5/$60 might be light, but it feels close and that’s a lot of dough to pass up for a guy who really only broke out this season. He’d be 32 at his next free agent window with $65MM+ in career earnings already. Might be tempting.

I think you’re going to be surprised how quickly Mahle catches up via arb if he goes year to year - arb after covid wasn’t ideal for him and we’re going to find out quickly if mlb was being truthful when they said those figures would be ignored in comps this off-season.

Tuesday's game was the most watched MLB on ESPN game since Sept of 1998 (a McGwire chase game against the Cubs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/06/mlbs...ince-1998.html

Tony Larussa kinda got that Biden clueless look these days.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

14. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (10-07-2021)

I think you’re going to be surprised how quickly Mahle catches up via arb if he goes year to year - arb after covid wasn’t ideal for him and we’re going to find out quickly if mlb was being truthful when they said those figures would be ignored in comps this off-season.
    Good point. I had almost forgotten that issue when it comes to the arb guys.

Kyle Schwarber for the Red Sox is from Middletown.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Yes, and he grew up a Reds' fan and was an a star at Indiana University.

18. Likes:

traderumor (10-08-2021)

Seems like the Senzatela deal is an indicator that some believe that won't be the case. As for Mahle, he'd need something like a 400% raise to catch up. That's a big ask in arbitration.

Mahle certainly won’t be getting a 400% raise.

Turn Off Ads?