Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds front office directory

Re: Reds front office directory

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    IIRC, there was little redzone sentiment for rebuilding immediately following the 2012 season. If anything, the 2013 team was stronger - at least on paper - than the '12 team. Ditto for '15 compared with '14. But as we know, injuries curtailed what could have been a divisional winner / playoff - advancing team in '13. And the '15 team was D.O.A once Mesaroco, Bailey et all were sidelined.

But more to to 757690's point, the extensions conincided with two additional factors that tied up payroll, efectively preventing the FO from adding to the respective rosters from '13 and '14: 1) A relative non-producing farm system which had been effectively emptied due to the Latos, Marshall and Choo trades. Not that I regret those trades, as all worked out well. 2) A significant amount of payroll tied up in the likes of Broxton, Shumacker, Hanrahann and an injured Marshall.

While the extensions have been debated here for what seems forever, the Bailey extension is the only one, IMO, considered a 'bad' move. That was simply an extension that other markets sitting at our proverbial dinner table - Brewers, A's, Rays and Indians - would never have engineered. The franchise simply underestimated the market for its free agent to be starters at the time and wound up paying market price for Bailey. And tying this together with the present, no one is proposing such an extension for Castillo, Mahle, Gray et all - more along the lines of the Reds locking up Cueto pre arb, in which they gained extra seasons of control before his 2015 departure.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Well, there were a significant number people saying we held Cueto, Leake, Frazier and Chapman too long. Others say that Walt blew it by trying to continue to compete with a flawed team when he should have rebuilt and gotten better prospects.. I disagree.. but some folks still bring it up from time to time.. It doesn't bother me, just pointing it out.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-20-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    IIRC, there was little redzone sentiment for rebuilding immediately following the 2012 season. If anything, the 2013 team was stronger - at least on paper - than the '12 team. Ditto for '15 compared with '14. But as we know, injuries curtailed what could have been a divisional winner / playoff - advancing team in '13. And the '15 team was D.O.A once Mesaroco, Bailey et all were sidelined.

But more to to 757690's point, the extensions conincided with two additional factors that tied up payroll, efectively preventing the FO from adding to the respective rosters from '13 and '14: 1) A relative non-producing farm system which had been effectively emptied due to the Latos, Marshall and Choo trades. Not that I regret those trades, as all worked out well. 2) A significant amount of payroll tied up in the likes of Broxton, Shumacker, Hanrahann and an injured Marshall.

While the extensions have been debated here for what seems forever, the Bailey extension is the only one, IMO, considered a 'bad' move. That was simply an extension that other markets sitting at our proverbial dinner table - Brewers, A's, Rays and Indians - would never have engineered. The franchise simply underestimated the market for its free agent to be starters at the time and wound up paying market price for Bailey. And tying this together with the present, no one is proposing such an extension for Castillo, Mahle, Gray et all - more along the lines of the Reds locking up Cueto pre arb, in which they gained extra seasons of control before his 2015 departure.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    2013 still ticks me off. Ludwick git hurt and they refused to go outside to get help. Then Marlon Byrd with 22 homers was let go by the Mets and Bob refused to claim him on waivers letting him go to the Pirates who kicked us out of the playoffs. I bet you Dusty Baker is still mad about that non move...

5. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2021),wlf WV (11-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    You can see other teams just by changing Reds to other teams.

Lots of weird titles, probably just to give someones friends kid a job.
    that is how we selected our current Manager
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Are there any voices in Cincinnati that have the influence with the local fan base to boycott the team until ownership changes?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

8. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2021),wally post (11-04-2021)

What can we on Redszone do to get management to sell? Public humiliation on Twitter?

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2021)

“We must align our payroll to our resources and continue focusing on scouting and developing young talent from within our system."

aka we're dumping salary and replacing it with nothing.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    “We must align our payroll to our resources and continue focusing on scouting and developing young talent from within our system."

aka we're dumping salary and replacing it with nothing.
    That's code for "we're throwing in the towel already for 2022 because we can't afford it and hope to win in 2023."

14. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2021)

I don’t think this is the last time we’ll hear the “we must align our payroll” line.

Krall must have sweated over the thesaurus to come up with a less impacting word for cut. I always hope for the best but the early front office smoke signals are not encouraging.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-05-2021),Revering4Blue (11-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by boxseat View Post
    That's code for "we're throwing in the towel already for 2022 because we can't afford it and hope to win in 2032."
    fixed the year they cough cough think about winning

18. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2021)

It's pretty clear winning is not a priority for Reds ownership at this point.

You watch enough franchises operate over the years, and based on their actions it's pretty easy to categorize them (not by results, but by intentions):

1. We must win at all costs
    2. Sure, it would be nice to win
    3. We're mailing it in

In the 21st Century, the Reds have teetered between 2 and 3, and are now a solid 3 going into 2022.

The part that gets me is, why own an MLB team if it is any reason other than entertainment? Why own an MLB team if all they are going to do is milk it for appreciation? Aren't there a plethora of other assets that aren't tied to a fanbase that they could do so with?

It's like holding an entire fanbase hostage. I know Mike Brown's 1990s playbook when I see it. The Williams Brothers suck donkey balls for what they are doing. Shame on them.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

20. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2021),Redsfaithful (11-06-2021)

where to write

Bob Castellini

100 Joe Knuxhall Way
    Cincinnati, OH 45202
    USA

I am writing him to beg him to sell the team, he lied to the fans when he bought the team.. he is showing fans, he wants to be as bad as the Pirates franchise and he doesnt care..

22. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    It's pretty clear winning is not a priority for Reds ownership at this point.

You watch enough franchises operate over the years, and based on their actions it's pretty easy to categorize them (not by results, but by intentions):

1. We must win at all costs
    2. Sure, it would be nice to win
    3. We're mailing it in

In the 21st Century, the Reds have teetered between 2 and 3, and are now a solid 3 going into 2022.

The part that gets me is, why own an MLB team if it is any reason other than entertainment? Why own an MLB team if all they are going to do is milk it for appreciation? Aren't there a plethora of other assets that aren't tied to a fanbase that they could do so with?

It's like holding an entire fanbase hostage. I know Mike Brown's 1990s playbook when I see it. The Williams Brothers suck donkey balls for what they are doing. Shame on them.
    It really is odd, franchises are great investments, but so are lots of things.

All the fringe benefits, community standing, ego boost, whatever - those all seem like they'd be negated if you run the team you own with a poverty mindset.

But then I remember most of these franchise owners are probably sociopaths, so who knows really
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

24. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-08-2021),REDREAD (11-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    where to write

Bob Castellini

100 Joe Knuxhall Way
    Cincinnati, OH 45202
    USA

I am writing him to beg him to sell the team, he lied to the fans when he bought the team.. he is showing fans, he wants to be as bad as the Pirates franchise and he doesnt care..
    It's 100 Joe Nuxhall Way

26. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    It's 100 Joe Nuxhall Way
    Dang i didnt catch that as i copied it from the internet

28. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2021)

Yep, many was the night I sat out on the porch and listened to Milton Brannehan and Jim Knuxhell.

30. Likes:

Chip R (11-16-2021)

Turn Off Ads?